Amaryllis Challenge??

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Amaryllis Challenge??

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Woo Hoo MD! Excellent! Prior to purchasing any amaryllis I've always opened the box to see what the bulb looks like. I remember once opening a box to see the amaryllis coiled about inside it. Easy 10" or so of plant stalk growth coiled around like a snake inside all blanched out cause of no daylight with a bud on top.

All of yours look super healthy MD. I haven't seen or heard of Monte Carlo before so eager to see how that one grows. I've had an Apple Blossom a long time ago and recall it as being quite a lovely shade of pink and very striking.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here we are, from right to left we have ‘The Monster’ which is still doing very well and has two sturdy flower stems and a nice central cluster of leaves. To me it is the best formed plant with a very tight centre and a flower stem on either side of the leaves, it is now 11.5” tall when measured from the top of the bulb.

Next to that is the Amazon purchased bulb, this had a slower start and then suddenly had two flower stems burst out together. It has no leaves to speak of and seems to be more of a compact plant and I don’t think it will grow very tall, so it may make a nice pot plant size wise. The tallest flower spike is currently about 6.5” when measured from the top of the bulb.

The next in line is the first Tesco bought bulb which has grown really quickly and has actually outstripped The Monster is size, it is now 12.5” at its tallest when measured from the top of the bulb. It has just the one flower spike that has started to grow on one side, but it has lots of leaves. I fear that this one may spurt away and become too leggy and loose with weak leaves falling about everywhere. I have moved this one into the kitchen window where it will be slightly cooler and that will hopefully check its growth a little bit and let it become more sturdy, the downside of course will be a later flowering plant.

The last in line is the second Tesco bulb doing surprisingly bad, or “doing a Grandad” as it will now be known. ;) Saying as this was only purchased a week later than the first Tesco bulb I am surprised at the lack of any activity as they are kept in the same conditions. To date there is no visible signs of any growth and the bulb does look a bit dry and shrivelled at the top although it does show some greening on the sides of the neck, so I conclude that this bulb for whatever reason is still dormant.
Compared to only 1 week ago

Finally an update on my Moth Orchid, more flowers are open, but lots more to come yet before it is a fully opened flower spike.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Lovely, especially your Moth Orchid. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Grandad wrote:Eureka! The Tesco bulb is showing two or maybe three green bits according to my 10x Lupe :lol:

And the Amazon bulb might also be awakening :up
I think 'Grandad bulbs' is about right ;)

I posted the above 3 days ago and today there is no change. :(

I told you I was not green fingered. :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Your amaryllis particularly "The Monster" is doing FAN-astic! I'm hoping the blooms will be of equal size to the bulb and go-figure you've got a 'Grandad'!

Both of mine are doing ok, their clearing the neck of the bulb so soon will be shooting skyward. (Photos possibly tomorrow)

Your orchid is lovely too. Moved one of my two too hoping a new spot might encourage it to bloom (or do something!)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well I gave the Amazon bulb just over 4 weeks and as there was no sign of movement, I binned it this morning.

The Tesco bulb has just a very small shoot showing but that has not changed for several days so that is also on borrowed time. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:a51: :a7: Oh Grandad how could you? It might be a late variety, maybe it had a hard start in life and needs TLC............. :sd

On the other hand if you are bored with it and it's taking up room :up ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I take it you won't be taking part next year then ;) Perhaps you could try Impatiens next time. :D
They are all different, I have a Tesco one that now has leaves 16" tall and one flower spike of about 3" long, the other Tesco bulb purchased and planted just 1 week later has only this morning started to show a tiny leaf tip barely showing through the bulb top.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
H, we don't have any probs with busy lizzies. As long as we water them, they are happy and very colourful.
I think our problem with Amaryllis is that as a late indoor plant, and our location that is North facing, it is difficult to get enough warm light on the plant. I will give the Tesco one a good chance though because it has shown a small shoot.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Amaryllis are different. Minerva is real slow yet Superstar has 2 bloom heads both well up and over the neck of the bulb.

These Amaryllis will grow IN the box just a matter of time for them to get started.

I read that MD trimmed the roots on hers. I didn't do this on mine - wonder on an already dried bulb IF the roots actually make a difference? Some of the bulbs really have none whilst others have rather fleshed out roots. I've actually usually taken ones with fleshed out biggish roots vs bulbs with almost none but I wonder if it really matters that much?

@Grandad - You 'binned' it? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;) Believe me it WILL grow and it WILL produce. I'd rescue it and give it a second chance. North-facing doesn't matter with these guys. Soon as they get enough growth going they'll flower. IMO these are the most fail safe plants going. Won't give you odds on keeping it and growing it next year but this year it is a sure thing.

My last thought would be for you to rescue it and give it to the daughter-in law?/daughter you got the banana tree from. I'm betting she would grow it ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I agree with all you say LLL, but perhaps I didn't make it clear that I cleaned off the dead and really wizened roots, not any fleshy ones. I don't know if it makes a difference, that's why I did it! :lol:

I wondered if a ball of soggy dead material under the bulb might, just might encourage mould.

Minerva and one of the two Red Lions have yet to show any sign of life and their tops are very brown and dry.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Seriously you would be hard pushed to get a drier and tattier looking bulb than my second one from Tesco, but ............. it has finally kicked in so you never give up hope with these bulbs. Its a real pity because it would have been nice to see the flower on Grandads Amazon bulb as I get the impression that although my flower may look very nice and colourful when it is open, I suspect that the flower size will be small.

I think that Grandad must have his on the top of the fridge :a55: they do need warmth, :up but not in an airing cupboard :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I think that Grandad must have his on the top of the fridge :a55: they do need warmth, :up but not in an airing cupboard :lol:
:) :) :) Yes, I even tried the shock treatment. I might even go and rescue it from the bin tomorrow as you all seem to think I didn't give it long enough. ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Re-pot it again and give it an initial soak with some aired water, then leave it somewhere warm and light. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd vote for rescuing it and even if you don't re-pot it give it to the Gardener in the family :)

Once it starts to move you definitely won't be sorry. You'll actually be amazed and how gorgeous it is.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm with Grandad - bin it! :xx
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I always remember seeing a little patch of Daffodils growing on a curve of a small stream, but it was in a remote area of meadows and woodland. I used to wonder as to who would have planted them until I realised that they must have been washed down with other debris from somewhere else during a heavy storm and then been unceremoniously dumped higher up the stream bank as the water washed by.

On another walk I used to marvel in the early Spring at the great swathes of Snowdrops that grow against a wall on one side of a farmers field and seeming completely out of place. There amongst the rough grass and emerging Nettles are these large clumps, some a couple of foot across and looking like drifting snow as they push there flowers towards the sunshine. It later struck me that someone many years ago had probably thrown them over the wall into the field along with other gardening rubbish when tidying up the adjacent churchyard.

So my point is that bulbs are very good survivors and seem to be able to take root and flower almost anywhere. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:x Bother! just lost a reply to your post Horus, but you've really lit a light bulb in my mind. :up

Think what snowdrops and Amaryllis have in common. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Think what snowdrops and Amaryllis have in common. ;)
Two things that Grandad can't grow? :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Surely not Horus! :a2: :a21: