Grandparents, Great Grandparents, Great Great Grandparents

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Grandparents, Great Grandparents, Great Great Grandparents

Post by Grandad »

We have just had a brief visit from our next door neighbour with a grandson, his girlfriend, and their new 4 day old baby Oliver. Our neighbors are younger than us at 75 and it is possible that they could even become Great Great Grandparents.

We have a distant relative living in Staffordshire who will be 100 in May. She is a Great Great Grandmother.

I am not aware of any Great Grandparents in my family but I think these examples prove that we are living much longer than just a few generations ago and Great Grandparents could soon be the norm.

Anyone got examples in their own family or friends who can claim one or two 'Greats' before Grandparent?

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Grandparents, Great Grandparents, Great Great Grandparen

Post by Mad Dilys »

Unfortunately I don't know of any for sure - my father was 54 when he died and with the exception of his eldest sister who was well in her 80s when she died most of his relatives didn't reach 65.

On my mothers side, they seem to have their children pretty late so I guess that's it. Funnily enough I had my first at 25 years, my sister was 35 years, and the mother of my only grand child had him when she was 34 - I know women who are grandmothers at that age. ;)

To put it simply, if I think it depends how old the mums are when they give birth. 8)
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:To put it simply, if I think it depends how old the mums are when they give birth. 8)
A young mum is most likely to become a great grandparent I suppose. The Queen was 22 when she had Charles and I believe at the last count she had 5 Gt Grandchildren and another on the way.
My wife was 25 when our first son was born. Of our 6 grandchildren, the oldest are boys of 23 and 24 years so they are the most likely to raise us up a grade in the grandparent hierarchy although the girls at 20, 20, 21 could spring a surprise. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My late wife was 24 when we had our daughter and I still have a photograph of her sitting on a setee and holding her, also with her is my wifes mother and her own grandmother, so we have, daughter, mother, grandmother and great grondmother all together. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That is brilliant Horus........Treasure that photo. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:That is brilliant Horus........Treasure that photo. :)
I do Grandad, I do :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a ring from my grandmother that will go to my granddaughter so she'll get a gold ring from her great great grandma but in my family we were never greater than child/parent/grandparent.

My dad's dad was in his 50ies and his mom in her 40ies when my dad was born so no long alive paternal lineage and no known great grandparents on the maternal side at all.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think all my grandparents except my maternal grandfather had died before I was born.

I adored my grandfather who was born I believe in 1878, and died in the early '60s. He ran away to sea when he was 15 years old on an impulse to sail before the mast as he put it. He regretted his decision pretty soon when he was in the "birds nest" at the top of the main mast in a storm off Spit Head in the Solent. (South coast of England) My grandson who is obviously his great-great-great grandson looks a bit like him but for personality and especially sense of humour they are the same. We are always wrangling and arguing, which drives my daughter crazy just as my mother was with me and Grandad. We are very, very close, which is quite lovely.

Disclaimer - I may be having an Alzheimer moment and have told you all this before. :oops: If so I apologise.
Last edited by Mad Dilys on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Your only Alzheimer moment was calling 'The Crows Nest' the 'Birds Nest' MD :D but it conjoured up a lovely story :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you Horus. It's bound to happen sooner or later I'm sure. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

OMG, both MD's and Horus's posts reminded me that I too had an Altzeimers moment. I think I might have lost it :lol:
In 1993 when my mother was 80 we had a birthday gathering at my sisters house and true enough, number one grandson/great grandson was there at about 6 weeks. There was another grandson the next year so my mum had two Gt Grandchildren before she died in '86.
I am sure this must be a picture very similar to yours Horus

Excuse my mums pebble glasses. She had operations on her eyes and needed those bottle top lenses :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

No problem Grandad - I remember spectacles being made of glass, very heavy, very expensive and very fragile.
Thank goodness for plastic! By the time I needed the strongest lenses that they made, I could have plastic ultra-thin ones.

When we first started the company in Luxor I had a slightly barmy driver in the mornings, who was great fun. He drove the passenger retrieve vehicle and every day there was a competition between us and the lorry carrying the crew to get to the balloon first when it landed. Of course we had no idea what direction it would take before we started, but we took it pretty seriously and were usually there first.

One day, we were coming from the West bank over the bridge I could see the balloon very clearly and I reckoned it was near the Movenpick. So I said, "when we get over the bridge just turn left it's coming our way" :o "Where? Where is it?" was the reply. He turned it into a joke, but a few days later when he met me he was wearing the thickest pair of glasses I had seen in Luxor. ;) I made no comment, but the ride lost some of it's thrill factor. :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Seems like you had drifted over the river that day MD