What Did You Get For Christmas?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

What Did You Get For Christmas?

Post by Grandad »

Mrs G and I no longer buy a 'surprise' to be opened on Christmas Day. We have the opinion that throughout the year if there is something you would like we just buy it.
On the one hand we may not want to wait until Christmas and, on the other, we may not make it to next Christmas. (Joke) :lol: :lol:

I do have a few regrets from my life, one of which is that I never learned a musical instrument, probably piano. I do have a good ear for music. Anyhow just before Christmas I bought an inexpensive electronic piano keyboard, with stand and two tutors. My intention is to try to self teach at least basic keyboard and reading music.

But don't expect me to post my recording of a concerto any time soon..... ;) :lol: :lol:

What did you folks have or buy for yourself???

:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: What Did You Get For Christmas?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I got all the usual things, Grandad. Nothing earth shattering but all gratefully received. :D We are the same as you. We don't buy gifts for each other now, but there's nothing we particularly want. Good luck with the learning course!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes good luck with the keyboard, like you I am very musical, but can't play any instruments. :(
I had mostly techie stuff (as you would expect :D ) My daughter bought me one of those Amazon Dot thingies and to compliment it I bought myself another one, so the whole place is now covered and I can talk to 'Alexa' anytime I want :lol:
I also treated myself to a new tablet and purchased the new Amazon Fire 8 HD which is the latest one. I have also improved my 'Bluetooth' capability by buying another portable Bluetooth speaker and a nice set of bluetooth headphones that just sit around your neck with no messy cables, so now I can connect all my devices, tablets, phone etc to each other or to my speakers and of course all being portable I don't have to worry about having mains power if out walking with Annie or touring in my caravan. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have seen those Dot thingies when I go onto Amazon Horus, but have never checked what they are. I have heard of Alexa but again don't know what it or she is :lol:
You have always been the techie one on here, I am way behind you. But my sons and son in law are fairly switched on with things like 'Hive' but if I want to turn up the heating I have a thing on the wall called a thermostat :lol: and don't need to do it with my mobile phone. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have a thing on the wall called a thermostat
Me too :D
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I heard a little snippet recently about the 'Alexa' type gadgets, and there is some question that they could record everything that goes on in the house and then transmit it to a central source. Mm! Not sure about that, although it's probably possible. Er - you're not a terrorist, are you, Horus? :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

ou're not a terrorist, are you, Horus? :D
:lol: :lol: Far from it, in fact I worked on the other side ;)
It is more than possible, as the device is always on and always listening then in theory it could transmit everything it hears back to a given source. I did ask Alexa if she was a spy and she did give me a long answer about only transmitting certain data back to Amazon and she sounds so nice that what else could I do but believe every word she says, I mean, when I say "Alexa Goodnight" she usually replies "Good night, sleep well", so sweet ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had lovely smallish presents that I really wanted, a course of Pilates lessons and of course my mobility scooter, which I hope will mean I rarely have to have a taxi any more. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:and of course my mobility scooter, which I hope will mean I rarely have to have a taxi any more. :up
I am getting very near to acquiring one of those MD. I do still drive but I am nearing a point when I decide that I should stop driving. I would be happy to use a mobility scooter but I am aware of how that would impact on my wife who is still quite mobile. Have to look at a tandem jobby I suppose ;) :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had a shock a few years ago when I first drove in Cardiff. I went to the main shopping mall as there is no street parking. I got my ticket, but didn't bother to look at the prices. In Bluewater it would have cost me £2 at the most - Cardiff £10 :o

I live about a mile outside the town centre, unfortunately on a short "rat-run" that joins two busy roads. Nominally there is parking on both sides of the street, about three residents spaces either side of the road. Often the traffic is gridlocked for 10 minutes or so, it's crazy. The busy new Metro Co-op shop next door has to send out staff to control the traffic when they have a delivery, which may be several times before mid day, even though they park off-road beside the shop. The lorries wait a few hundred yards away, and are called up by radio.

Yesterday it cost me nearly £8 each way to get to the city centre. I can walk as far as the bus stop and back, but that is half a mile each way and limits how far I can walk when I get there.

From booking the taxi to getting to destination takes about half an hour,but in "Betty" the scooter I can cut across Sion Park, enjoy the birds and fresh air, pass Cardiff Castle and maybe take a few photos then be in the Centre in 10 minutes. Fantastic.

Unfortunately because a horrible modern door has been placed on top of the Victorian door step I will have to have a ramp into and out of the house. I have explored many avenues and ideas locally and on the internet and come back to the firm recommended by Quingo who made "Betty". So a custom made solution is underway. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD, Bluewater is and always has been free parking. And 13,000 wide bays.
I also have a blue badge that saves a lot on parking charges but my big gripe is hospital parking. If I have to park in the controlled car park (no blue badge spaces available) it can cost around a fiver for an average appointment. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its diabolical, just another tax on the sick and infirm and its not as if it makes parking any easier.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I got all the usual women get, perfume, clothes, vouchers, etc etc bed set (that was different lol ) but, most of all I had my son Roy all day Christmas, trying to have as much time with him before he goes off to Canada this Friday :( for a year maybe two.

Don't know what I'll be doing with myself while he's gone as he is leasing out his home so nothing for me to do there.

Hopefully maybe a holiday to Canada ;) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh I just asked you that question in the other thread :lol:
So he is off to Canada for a year or so Kiya? I take it that is with his work and his recent visit over there? Well good luck to him and yes you may get a freebie holiday as a present, then you could meet up with LLL ;)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Aftershave, pair of boots and my Oor Wullie book and stuff, plus having just turned 50 yesterday I got a lovely watch [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Grandad wrote:MD, Bluewater is and always has been free parking. And 13,000 wide bays.
I also have a blue badge that saves a lot on parking charges but my big gripe is hospital parking. If I have to park in the controlled car park (no blue badge spaces available) it can cost around a fiver for an average appointment. :(
Oops! :oops: Of course you are right. That Flying Fickle Finger should have written Dartford, ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus wrote:Oh I just asked you that question in the other thread :lol:
So he is off to Canada for a year or so Kiya? I take it that is with his work and his recent visit over there? Well good luck to him and yes you may get a freebie holiday as a present, then you could meet up with LLL ;)
Yes off on Friday, 1 year maybe 2, they need his expertise & he will be team leader with 15 or so working under him.

There is already quite a few set up home there, he'll maybe do the same if he likes St. Johns & surrounding area.

The wages he is getting he sure can afford to get me there on holiday, all expenses paid of course ;)

I will miss him :( :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Of course you will miss him, but I bet he also misses his mum as well ;) It would not surprise me at all to hear that you are off for an all expenses paid trip Kiya :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Our only grandchild that Christmas, or at least Santa, has any meaning is Louis who will be 8 in 2 weeks time. He and his mum and dad came to lunch on Friday and looking at pictures in Tim Peakes book we came across one with the pyramids.
'Do you know where they are?' i asked. 'Egypt' was his reply. 'And do you know where Egypt is?' I asked. 'Africa' he said and I suugested we find Africa on my globe.
He then made a statement that solved the birthday present problem, 'I put a globe on my Christmas list Grandad but didn't get on'
Birthday present solved and I received today an excellent 12" illuminated globe from Amazon, special price, £35 delivered.
On the label I have written in bold letters 'The one that Santa forgot' ;) :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love it! :up