Horus, any ideas?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Horus, any ideas?

Post by Grandad »

Horus, I have an Excel file in My Docs called Address Book. It is just a list of names and addresses, phone numbers etc of friends, acquaintances etc. Not connected in any way to my online email address book.

I opened it this aft and it has been encrypted. It shows last change as 26 Sept and that it is 100 pages long which is ridiculous, unless encryption enlarges a file. This is page one.

Any idea how this could have happened and should I be concerned? Thanks for any comments mate :up

PS: I have done a scan and it showed nothing. I also have other docs in Excel and they are not affected. :?

PPS: I have now deleted the bad file and replaced it from my backup. Probably a few items OOD but I will find them in due course. Just wondering how the corruption or encryption might have happened.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Horus, any ideas?

Post by Horus »

Grandad, it is easy to encrypt a doccument but not likely to do by accident so I cannot think how it may have occured, but take a look at this link:
https://admin.utep.edu/Portals/1623/How ... 0Files.pdf
If it has been encrypted with a password (and you can figure out what it was) it can be unencrypted, but if you have deleted the old file and replaced it then that is probably the best option. As for the length of the file, remember that it is all just lines of code so takes up more 'printed' space than a normal doccument would.
Hope this helped.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks H. I had found some of that when trying to find a reason WHY and a solution. In the end, as I had an almost up to date backup I thought it best to get rid of the old one. Thanks again. :up

Hope all is well with you. Have you yet given the caravan a trial run out and an overnight somewhere? ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I said earlier the caravan is quite nice, but not new, so there were a few little jobs I needed to do and some TLC was needed, plus I needed to have a towbar fitted to my car. I have to say that I have quite enjoyed messing about with it and getting everything ship-shape, Annie loves it and you cannot keep her out it. I have purchased a few extras to make life comfortable so it now has a small electric oven plus a microwave, TV, radio and toaster, so along with the original fridge and gas cooker and grill I should be set up. I have already done a few things like checked out the awning which looks to be almost new and I reckon I have it sussed regarding putting it up on my own which I need to be able to do. I have 'T' cut and polished all the outside and had a new 'Alco' hitch fitted which helps to avoid 'snaking' if the caravan should start to occilate on the tow bar. I need to get the overall weight sorted out as that is important for towing and hopefully I will do that this week and if the weather holds out I may even get to give it a first outing this weekend :up I have looked at a site not more than 1 hours drive away that is set in a forest and it looks very nice with toilets & showers plus the woods are right next to it so Annie will be very happy, will let you know if all goes to plan. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All sounds good H, and you seem to have enough appliances to cater for a party ;) :lol: I assume that to run all that power you need to plug into a site power socket?

Our only experience of caravan towing was about 40 or so years ago when the kids were quite young. We had a Renault 16 (we actually had two of those, great cars). Our first one had a tow bar fitted and we hired a small van and towed it all the way to Cornwall. Great fun but those narrow Cornish roads with high dry stone walls covered with vegitation did make driving difficult. In future years we hired an ON SITE van for our Cornish holidays. It is good fun though living in a caravan, you take your home with you. :up :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We used to have a larger touring van (5 berth) some years ago now and had some good times with it, so hopefully this will be the same for myself and Annie. As to the power situation, well that has come on a long way, my own can run off mains 240 volt and many sites offer up to 16 Amp so plenty of power available, but you do need to moderate what you use to avoid tripping the breakers. Yes it does have its own built in breakers for the mains power ;) and it can also run some stuff such as lights, water pump for the taps and the fridge off the 'leisure battery' which is 120 Amp/hour so fairly powerfull. The 'motor mover' also runs off this battery and makes life easier as you can just drive the caravan into position without it being on the car, very usefull as you get older. ;)
The fridge is also 3 way which means it can run on either the battery power (when towing) or calor gas or mains power when parked up. The tow bar electrics are also very sophisticated and can interact with the caravan 12 volt battery to keep it charged up or to suppliment it power wise from the car if needed, but it has built in cut-outs that prevent the vehicle battery from going below a certain voltage. The fixed oven and grill plus the space heater are also gas operated, so all in all it should be possible to get by in all situations. For everything to be home from home a 240 v hookup is desirable, but you can get by very well using the liesure battery and the gas supply if you were in the middle of nowhere. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Did you have this Excel document in your one drive or on your local machine?

If it was in One-Drive that could potentially compress it or do something to it ....... aka encrypt it unbeknownst to you.

Microsoft 10 just put out another update this past week (that might have done something to it)

OR

The last time you saved it did you by chance save it in any language other than English that you might not have noticed at the time of saving it?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes I got the latest upgrades too. The one a week or so ago was a big one that I left to do its stuff after I went to bed. This also changed the opening screen from the beach and rocks job to a full screen bluey mist scene.
I am not using OneDrive. There are times when I think we release all our stuff a bit too freely and I then feel a bit out of control. I just keep it on my computer and back up regularly.

You may be correct LLL in that it happened during update but no other excel files were affected. The old file from the back up is OK so hopefully that is the end of the problem.