Just a few pictures - Westgate Gardens Canterbury

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Just a few pictures - Westgate Gardens Canterbury

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned elsewhere that Mrs G and me went out for lunch today. We parked the car in a little side street just 100 yards from the restaurant. When we returned we walked through Westgate Gardens which I have posted pictures of in the past.
I did not take a camera so had to rely on my mobile phone to record a few images on this nice sunny day. (It was then but it clouded over later :( )
These gardens cover probably no more than twenty acres or so, nothing like Horus's Trentham but still a nice quiet and peaceful place on a sunny afternoon. Here is a small selection from those I took:

This is along the entrance path from the Westgate Tower

And this is looking back towards to Norman Towers

We crossed the river on a low bridge and found a bench to sit and admire the view. This little entrance, across the river, is all that remains of a much earlier building, details of which escape me just now

This is a view along the river path looking towards the Ashford direction. The river is very small and flows from mid Kent to Richborough near Sandwich where it runs into the sea. The river actually divides further up from this viewpoint and the other tributary flows through the centre of the old city about 1/4 mile to the north. They then re-merge towards the east of the city. Our car was parked just beyond the red brick wall

Whilst sitting contemplating life outside the EU (NOT :lol: ) this punt glided peacefully past. A very English scene

So there you are, just a snap shot from a little corner of our beautiful country....

:gg:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: Just a few pictures - Westgate Gardens Canterbury

Post by Jayway »

That is LOVELY Grandad, the riverside garden is immaculate - reminds me of mine . . . . :roll: Even though that river has a lot of weeds, punts can still use it ? I would love a canoe to paddle myself along there - - -
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Those are gorgeous pictures Grandad and just as nice as Trentham gardens. :up
I love that river and its long flowing weed, but I think I have said that to you before, it all looks so tranquil and well cared for and reminds me of why we are British and would like to keep it that way. Is that building possible an old monastry or similar? it has that sort of arched entrance, finally hope you both had a lovely day and tell Mrs G her secret is safe with us ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad the pictures are lovely & colourful, beautiful looking place to have a stroll :)

I think its Mrs G sitting on the bench....yes ? :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks folks :up If the light is good, mobile phones do now actually take acceptable photos.

@ Horus, I will look a bit deeper about the remains of an earlier building and let you know H.

@Kiya, sharp eyed as ever ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus, I thought I had some info about the arched entrance but apparently not. I had previously found a reference to that arch and another nearby with the suggestion that they were removed in Victorian times from the ruins of St Augustines Abbey, elsewhere in the city, and re-sited in the gardens as 'ornaments' but this theory is unconfirmed. Here are the two arches in question (from my E4U album, posted previously)

The area is known to have much Roman and Anglo Saxon history and the Achaeological Society have plans for extensive study of the area. Soil cores have already been taken from around the site and are being studied in London. The old Watling Street that ran from Dover through Canterbury and London then on to St Albans, passed through where the gardens are now, at a fording point.

A cache of Roman silver was found in another part of the gardens so it does look as if there are secrets to be uncovered. In the middle ages monks, from Saint Augustines Abbey, had water mills along the river (which was much larger then). These declined over time as the river dried or silted up.

Probably, in the not too distant future, excavations will begin and spoil the present peace and tranquility of the gardens.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Love these old arches & the buildings beyond them.

I hope they find what they're hoping to find with their excavations :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that Grandad, most interesting :up I got the impression looking at them that they would probably be monastic in some way, so probably not that far off the mark.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous photos - just had a chance to open them :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks LLL :up Not bad for a cell phone ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

They actually are pretty good for a cell phone. Do you have to hold it out and look at what you're taking by way of the screen which I'd imagine is pretty tiny? That always seems difficult to me but I suppose if you get used to it it would be better.

Loved seeing all the long weeds in the stream and the boat plus paddler is quintessential British.

I also liked the Norman Towers and the arched gates. The house through the gate was a really good touch too. :) (Liked it)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Do you have to hold it out and look at what you're taking by way of the screen which I'd imagine is pretty tiny?
LLL, what kind of cell phone are you talking about? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, quite an old model now, that looks like this.

Mine is black but the whole screen becomes your 'viewfinder'
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - ohhhhhh - your screen on your cell is probably as big or even bigger than the screen on the HS50. For some reason I was think a flip cell phone and that screen is super tiny. Guess I was thinking that as that is what I have so - in the moment - was thinking to myself HOW in the world could you see all that in that tiny screen area! ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It is about twice the size of the HS50 screen. The new iphone6 range are about 3 times the size. But smart phones are now used for most things you do on your computer. Internet, Facetime, where you see who you are talking to (like Skype), FB, email, banking, watching films and TV; and we also have cashless payments in stores using your smart phone. That is limited up to, I believe £30 per transaction. We are all very techie here ;) But I just use mine for a phone and occasionally a camera, and texting. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I didn't realize the screen on your phone was that large. That is quite a decent size to be able to take a good photo.

I know that I'm way behind the time phone-wise however the phone plans here are ridiculously expensive so I'm boycotting until they become more reasonable. I hardly phone anybody now and really do not like talking on the phone so I'm not too bothered about not having a "smart phone."

I use a Magic Jack phone through my internet - $20/yr and I can call Free anywhere in North America and FREE to anybody else who has a Magic Jack. My cell phone is something like $100/yr.

I did query phone plans here awhile ago and they start at something like $150/month. I thought it ridiculous so am sticking to an old flip phone ;)