Cats and Birds

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Cats and Birds

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just had a new neighbor come over and ask if I've seen "Pistol Pete" her orange cat. Said 'no' but offered to keep a watch out for him.

Neighbour said, by way of helping me identify her cat that he was also wearing his big "Anti bird hunting collar." Not knowing what that was I asked. She then produced a photo of Pistol Pete with a big cloth brightly striped collar. I'd guess this collar made out of a cottony satin type material was about 2" wide and was puffy all around his neck. Almost like a jester type collar.

I've never ever seen one of these nor have I heard of one of these but would wearing a big fluffy collar actually be "anti bird catching" ? I've seen cats absolutely dart across a yard wearing a BELL and keep it from tinkling so can't honestly see how this big puffy collar would stop this cat from catching a bird.

On another note I did tell her she should check all the brambles around here as hanging a big piece of floating cloth around a cats neck means he is possibly/probably caught up in some blackberry bush. They'll grab and hold material with an iron fist and a cat would never escape.

I didn't get into lecture mode that she has possible now caused her cat's death BUT if he is caught in a bush and can't get away he is a sitting duck for fox, coyotes, wolves, bear - AND we don't even want to think about the eagles that will swoop down and grab a stationary cat that is hung up and can't move.

I don't believe I've ever collar'd a cat. Hope she'll find Pistol Pete soon.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Cats and Birds

Post by Horus »

Very true about the collar LLL, we tried many times to fit our bird hunting cat with a bell collar, but they were ALWAYS the elasticised or 'easy snap' type and on all occasions she managed to come back home without them, which must say something. :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Cats and Birds

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've never seen on of these: http://www.birdsbesafe.com/

This is a URL with a photo of the collar.

Personally I'd never heard of these nor have I ever seen one although if I had a cat I'm not too sure I'd be letting it outside wearing one of these particularly around here where there are lots of brambles that are really thorny. I can easily see a cat getting caught up and then getting stuck.

The flip side is that this particular company is touting that the birds are seeing these collars because of the bright colours and flying away and if you put one on your cat you can expect there will be an 87% improvement in your cat NOT catching its prey.

They also trim them in neon which means your cat is more visible to drivers if it is out at night.

Not too sure about these. I don't like cats catching birds but I also don't like the idea of a cat being hung up or stuck because of wearing a collar.

OOPS - am editing now cause I just read on the cat collar site the collars are 'break away' which is definitely GOOD.