The murder of Jo Cox

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The murder of Jo Cox

Post by Grandad »

Members abroad may not be aware of the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox yesterday. Jo was elected to Parliament in the General Election of May last year, representing the Yorkshire constituency of Batley and Spen.

She was leaving a local library where she had held her open surgery when she was shot and stabbed by some 52 year old loner and nutter who is now in police custody. The motive has not yet been determined but obviously this individual had some grudge against the political system and Jo as its local representative.

The Labour party have lost a very promising young politician who sadly leaves two young children and her husband Brendan behind. This does not appear to be a terrorist attack in any way, just the action of some twisted loner. However it does raise the question of the security of our politicians when working in their constituencies away from the protection that they have at Westminster.

RIP Jo Cox......a sad loss for British Politics and condolences to your husband, children, family and friends

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: The murder of Jo Cox

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It has been on the news here but definitely not a feature. It likened Jo Cox to Gabby Gifford who likewise was just out giving a speech when a lone gun man approached and shot her in the head which has left her with life time disabilities and definitely ended her career.

I was unaware your Jo Cox was shot as I'm sure that all they said was that she was stabbed.

Very sad. Very very sad. RIP Jo Cox.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

So, one woman was killed by a lunatic. Do the plain common people not count, those who get killed on other days? Now, she is a fallen angel and its just like the grand Princess Diana festival. UK media is ridiculous and the sheeple all follow and do what they are told - - pathetic.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree Jay, sad that it is for a young woman to be murdered in this brutal way, it does beg the question of why it gets more attention than any other murder. The fact that she was an MP should be no different to it being a doctor, a baker, a car mechanic, a nurse, a housewife, or in fact any other person, is the act of a lunatic against an MP any more serious than the murder of an average citizen? I fear that a lot of the furore is directed at making the public more sympathetic to staying in the EU as voting leave would seem to be sympathising with this lunatic and his political views.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I also agree with you both. There is no difference between any person being coldly murdered by some twisted nutter. But when the victim is an MP and representative of the people there is bound to be more response and publicity.

That said I DO think this has gone a bit over the top with the very important Referendum canvassing being suspended and Parliament recalled on Monday.

The good news today is the safe return of Tim Peake after 6 months on the International Space Station. Tim is a real inspiration to young and old. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Any murder is sad and tragic and I often think it is unfortunate that not everybody is recognized the same way.

We're getting virtually nothing about it here. It has been on the news in passing but nothing much other than the Orlando mass shooting and the little boy getting eaten by an alligator is being talked about here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:We're getting virtually nothing about it here..
And why should you LLL? It is not International news but it is a terrible event for the family, friends and constituents of Jo Cox who by all accounts had that personal touch and was much loved by all who knew her.

It has been said that her demise has been overplayed by the media. I would agree with that to a point and agree that she is another person murdered just as hundreds are murdered in the UK every year. But Jo Cox was a representative of the people and not some unknown individual who had an argument with his or her partner. Jo's murder would appear to have been pre-meditated.