Gone and Come Back

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Gone and Come Back

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Did a whirl wind couple of days down in the USA retrieving some more "stuff" from the storage locker.

Course I didn't take my camera as I was trying to go with nothing extra so I could have space for as full a load as possible coming back.

At the entrance to the Storage Complex there is a pond and out came Momma and Poppa Canadian Goose with some pretty big and fuzz covered babies (I think 4 total). They were grey and really fuzzy but BIG.

This leads me to think that the Canadian Geese who were in the marsh behind me are gone with ZERO for babies! The geese arrived prior to the leaving of the swans and off and on during the day there was the squaking and squabbling of breeding geese and nesting geese. One night there was LOTS of noise out there but being dark I couldn't see. Got real quiet after that and I've been noticing lots more green seaweed on the marsh than last year and no signs whatsoever of any geese.

There are lots of lakes around here that are terrific for swimming. One by one though they've been coming down with "swimmer's itch" (a super itchy red rash you get if you swim in the water and do not immediately shower off with fresh water) which is caused by some sort of microorganism in the water that starts from Goose poop. Since we have a super abundance of Canadian Geese here and since there is always a terrible outcry anytime the word 'cull' pops up I think our Conservation people are quietly going about in the wee hours and 'culling' quietly.

The Geese have no natural predators here and essentially are turning lakes that people use into barnyards. Some of the smaller lakes are registering a real high E-coli level.

Anyway - kinda a rambling post but I was hoping to see baby Canadian Geese out back but they all seems to have essentially disappeared - all of 'em suddenly. I don't know if during culling there would be squawking and noise but they're suddenly definitely gone.