Canal Festival

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Canal Festival

Post by Horus »

A pleasant visit to the Etruria Canal Festival to get a few shots, this year it commemorates 300 years from the birth of the famous canal builder and local hero James Brindley. In addition it celebrates 250 year's since the inauguration of the first transport canal the Trent & Mersey.

Here a local actor playing the famous 'Potter' Josiah Wedgewood (on the left) reads a eulogy from his personal diary about the life and death of his friend and famous Canal Engineer James Brindley (on the right) ending with a toast to his memory. A statue of James Brindley can be seen in the background at this location which is at the Etruria Junction on the Cauldon Canal.

One for LLL, as you were so interested in the woven barge bumpers, I asked the guy to demonstrate the process for you.

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: Canal Festival

Post by Jayway »

Thats the first time I have seen a boot sale on a boat ! Your hippies dont look too friendly - - :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: Actually Jay they were really nice friendly blokes, they even put dishes of water out for passing dogs :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great looking pics Horus, you had a lucky day weather wise :) & history from your way :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Kiya, yes weather wise we have had gorgeous weather for a few weeks now. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Looks a great day out, Horus! Thanks for posting. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just catching up as usual :lol:

Interesting post H and some good pictures :up I think it is great that so many of our inland waterways have been restored and maintained. It gives a real snapshot of transportation in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and even earlier. All part of our glorious heritage.

But just as developments of road and rail transport saw the demise of the canals, so too are other means of transport even now. Just today I learned that the Royal Mail ship RMS St Helena is soon to be taken out of service. This ship has been the sole transport means to the South Atlantic island of Saint Helena for 26 years. A new airport runway means that the air will be the main means of transport very soon.

Life moves on......
:gg:
BBLUX
France

Post by BBLUX »

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but we loved watching the series with Timothy West and Prunella Scales.
Also the series with John Sargent. Just love the tranquility of drifting through the countryside and finding the old forgotten mills and factories from bygone times.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

BBLUX wrote:Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but we loved watching the series with Timothy West and Prunella Scales.
Also the series with John Sargent. Just love the tranquility of drifting through the countryside and finding the old forgotten mills and factories from bygone times.
I remember them well BBLUX :up A canal holiday is something we have never done but is certainly peaceful and tranquil.

We have in the distant past done several on the Norfolk Broads, equally enjoyable but without the history along the way.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If you look back you will find lots of that sort of stuff that I have posted in the past as I often walk along the canal system both through industrial areas and countryside and usually post a few on here. :up
The series with Tim & Pru are really interesting, just a pity that she is starting to become very forgetful now with her illness. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Been gone for a couple of days but back now. Very interesting photo H of the guy making the barge bag :) Definitely interesting. :)