Spring Cleaning

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Spring Cleaning

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since we're now officially into spring does anybody do a good old fashioned spring clean whereby everything gets a going over and spit polished?

I've been looking around here and thinking that while I've only been in this place for a little better than a year I've collected lots of stuff and maybe - ok probably - I need to have a go through and really do a spiffing clean up of everything. Being inherently lazy ;) I naturally want to do the least I can get away with! I dusted the piano and have an inclination to call it good ;) but basically I know it isn't.

What does spring cleaning mean to you? What do you do? And is there anything that makes more sense to clean in spring than any other time of the year?

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Spring Cleaning

Post by Kiya »

I do a spring clean at anytime when the mood suits me :)

Just a few weeks ago I gave the kitchen a good clean inside cupboards & out. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Spring Cleaning? No, not in my house. I think that is a relic of times before the domestic aids that we have today. In those times you would take out the rugs and carpets and give them a good beating to get rid of the winters dust. Curtains would be taken down and washed to rid them of the smell of cigarette or pipe tobacco.

It has all changed and with no smoking in my house, and very effective vacuum cleaners, the house is clean all year round. Mrs G does take one room at a time several times a year for a good clean and polish but with just two of us in the house, it is always very clean. Besides, we are too old to start beating carpets and washing curtains. ;) :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh Geezzzz Grandad............Memories came flooding back after reading your post, I remember very well as a very young girl helping my mam beating carpets, don't know what they were called (carpet beater ??) but, I remember it being a fancy metal thingy ?

Not just helping my mam but down at grandma's house as well & also when I had to clean cutlery, I don't remember the name of the stuff but can remember the smell of it & pull so much of it at a time & rubbing into the cutlery till it was black, then rub it all with a clean cloth till all was sparkling then washed & dry.

I'm like Mrs G when the mood takes me to do a room one at a time, just me in the house so just me to please :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Gaaaad! Life's too short to do 'Spring cleaning'! :a17: I can think of 1001 better things to do with my (valuable) time!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I like the 'attitude' of we do NOT need spring cleaning - but - I definitely remember going room by room as a girl helping drag everything out and scrub the entire house. All the windows washed, rugs cleaned, all closets and cupboards cleaned - was a super big job that took about a week.

I think we had to scrub everything in the house. Wash off the hard wood floors and then on my hands and knees putting paste wax down and then buffing it all with a floor buffer. I actually always liked the look of the floor after that - they just shone and sparkled. Haven't waxed a floor for years but that used to be a hard job. Not sure where the floor polisher ever went. I had one but not sure now where it ever went.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Kiya. its Duraglit, in a tin. I use it to clean my bit and stirrups. I cant get around to Spring Cleaning really as I would have to move so much "stuff" - I do dust the TV and the comp, thats about it - - rugs go to the dogs and get new next winter. Such a small house so not much floorspace to cover, and just bare tiles in summer, keeps cooler.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I just feel like cleaning sometimes whether the house needs it or not - and I think this old house will keep me going forever! It creaks and groans always slightly on the move and manufactures minute dust clouds as it does.
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Jayway :) I remembered the colours of the tin being orange & blue just couldn't remember the name :)