Interesting Programme

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Interesting Programme

Post by Horus »

For all of you Roman history buffs, (are you reading this Kiya) ;) there is a new programme presented by Mary Beard that wonderfully outrageously dressed and grey haired ageing old dear from I think Bristol University, it is called 'Meet The Romans With Mary Beard' It is a three part series and unfortunately I only realised it was on TV after I had recorded part 1, but I am sure it will still be available on BBC iPlayer. It is being shown on BBC 2 at 9.00 p.m. and started on the 27 of April, so be quick. She is extremely knowledgeable about Roman history and as usual she tells us lots of things we probably didn't know, but in a very interesting way. :up
(I have just checked and episode 1 is still available to watch on iPlayer)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Interesting Programme

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'll watch for it. We seem to be on a few months delay from what you're getting there.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Just saw your post now Horus :)

Yes I did see it & I'm glued to it, roll on for the next episode :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think part 2 is on this Wednesday, she really puts things across very well and for an old dear she can be quite crude at times in her descriptions, :o I remember her in a previous program she did referring to excrement and sexual activity in more basic terms, it did make me laugh though :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes she is funny at times with her way :a21:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have always hoped that no one ever calls me an old dear, :evil: as to me it signifies an patronising reference to an old woman who may have had a useful past, but is now as they say "past it" and no longer a person of much importance (yes, there are those who believe people can be of no importance).

In the first of your posts above Horus you have referred to "Mary Beard that wonderfully outrageously dressed and grey haired ageing old dear " in the second post "she really puts things across very well and for an old dear she can be quite crude at times in her descriptions"

When I saw you refer to the brilliant woman who is comfortable in her own skin and has a scintillating mind at the of just 60 years thus, I was very surprised.

Mary Beard OBE SFA FBA

According to Wikipedia "She is Professor of Classics at the University of Cambridge, a Fellow of Newnham College, and Royal Academy of Arts Professor of ancient literature.
She is also the classics editor of The Times Literary Supplement, and author of the blog, "A Don's Life", which appears in The Times as a regular column.
Her frequent media appearances and sometimes controversial public statements have led to her being described as "Britain's best-known classicist".

Just what, in your esteemed opinion is an old dear Horus?
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think you maybe need a sense of humour transplant MD, when I refer to her as an 'old dear' I say it with the greatest respect for a lovely woman who is a joy to watch, it is said as a compliment to her age and her almost Hippy personality that to me makes her a loveable woman and a delight to watch. Having said all that can I now say that I am frankly getting quite p****d off with people who seem to want to make an issue out of just about anything that gets posted whether that be Hillsborough or Mary Beard, to comments by others that we don't talk about all things Egyptian anymore. Well to be honest I have better things to do with my time than attempting to justify every word I utter to anyone who wants to pick an argument, I get tired of trying to inject some life into a few topics and to maintain some interest, I get tired of monitoring the forum and keeping it running smoothly, I get tired of spending hours in uploading photographs and typing up what I hoped were interesting outings for the benefit of half a dozen people to read and I get tired of having to comment on anything and everything because many people are to idle to do so.

I reread your post several times to see if I had misunderstood the tone of it, but no, there were no tongue in cheek smilies or any indication that you were joking in any way, only the one expressing 'evil' so I am sure your intention was to berate me for my comments and not to chide me in a jocular manner. You further insult my intelligence by giving a long list of Mary Beards academic achievements as if I am some sort of uneducated moron, I am actually a very big fan of the lady and quite familiar with her background thank you very much.

Of late the whole tone of this forum has become one of bickering and nit picking and as such I no longer wish to be a part of it. I will continue to monitor the forums as I have done for many years, but there will be no further participation from myself on this site, so you will be spared any future "esteemed opinions" from me.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WHAT? H you can't be leaving too! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Personally I totally LOVE your posts and appreciate ALL the photos and walks with Annie and everything.

I definitely hope you're jesting and joking and only taking to the extreme a silly comment by MD just like I'm hoping Robbo isn't silly enough to take a comment to the extreme of not posting anymore.

GEEZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

We're a small group but I think we do interest each other in all that we post :) :) :) :up :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

With regard to a sense of humour transplant, I have spent quite some time researching the internet as to where this service is available, but there's a problem. There are pages and pages of advice to people to get said transplant, but no advice on where to get it done.

Nothing daunted, I've checked with my neighbours as it's pretty well known apparently that the Welsh people in general receive this advice quite often and success! I understand the process is extremely secret and may take a while before anyone notices any difference, but I'm hopeful of a good result. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No LLL, I will not be leaving, I will continue to Moderate and Administer this forum, I will just not be participating in the discussions or posting new threads.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank goodness your not leaving Horus but, I do hope you will continue with posts, I for one would miss your posts :(

I know there was no malice in calling Mary an old dear, frankly if someone was to call me an "old dear" I'd take it as a compliment :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have never watched any of Mary Beards programmes although I seem to remember some recent controversy about her, but I don't know the details. There is so much TV that I would like to watch but there are only so many available hours in the day. Even when we go off for a week shortly, I shall have to set the recorder for those programmes that we just can't miss. :lol: :lol: Bit sad really isn't it ;)
:gg: