Apple Cider Vinegar - Opinions?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Apple Cider Vinegar - Opinions?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We really don't have a health section so am posting it here. Does anybody ever use Apple Cider Vinegar and are you finding it to be as good as it is being touted as being?

This is a cut and paste of some of the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar:

17 Reasons to Sip Apple Cider Vinegar Every Day

There are few all-natural products as versatile as apple cider vinegar. Whether it’s around the house, in your beauty routine, or for you health, apple cider vinegar can be used in a million helpful ways. In particular, we love the various health and beauty remedies that you can get out of apple cider vinegar. A little sip can go a long way. And at about $2 a bottle, you can get a few weeks worth of handy hacks out of one container, which is pretty spectacular. Here are 17 reasons why you should always have apple cider vinegar stocked in your pantry.

1. Upset Stomach Remedy

Mix one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in some water and sip it the next time you have tummy troubles. If a bacterial infection is the culprit, or if you’re having intestinal spasms, apple cider vinegar can help contain the problem and sooth your symptoms

2. Gets Rid of Hiccups

Stuck with the hiccups? Don’t try holding your breath or asking a friend to scare you…we’ve all learned that request can have disastrous consequences. Instead, try swallowing a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. The sour taste helps to soothe and relinquish hiccups fast.

3. Prevents Indigestion

You’re not feeling so good post-Chinese food. Been there. Good news, you can even use apple cider vinegar to prevent indigestion. If you’re going to eat foods that you know you could regret later, then start by drinking a mixture of 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and a glass of water water about 30 minutes before you eat.

4. Banishes Bad Breath

Nobody wants to be walking around all day self-conscious of their bad breath. Nix the stink by gargling with apple cider vinegar. Add 1/2 tablespoon of the vinegar to water and gargle for a few minutes to help get rid of chronic bad breath. Bonus: gargling with this mixture also helps to whiten your teeth!

5. Soothes Sore Throats

As soon as you start feeling a sore throat coming on, mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup warm water and gargle every hour. The vinegar will help to kill germs and ward off the infection.

6. Beat Exercise Exhaustion

Post-gym, you can often have lactic acid buildup in the body. This causes fatigue and soreness after your workout. To balance your amino acids and keep you energized after you break a sweat, add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to your post-work out water.

7. Lowers Your Cholesterol

A Japanese study found that consuming a half an ounce of apple cider vinegar a day lowered the cholesterol of people who participated in the study. More research is certainly in the works, but in the meantime it couldn’t hurt to up your daily intake.

8. Pamper Your Hair

Apple cider vinegar works wonders on hair. To make your very own DIY hair product, combine 1/3 cup of vinegar to 4 cups of water and pour this mixture over your hair after shampooing. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse out with cold water for shiny, tangle-free, and dandruff-free locks.

9. Clears Your Stuffy Nose

The potassium and acid in apple cider vinegar can help to thin mucus and prevent bacteria growth. So the next time you’ve got a really stuffy nose, mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink to get some much needed relief.

10. Soothe Sunburn

You’ll be needing this tip in the months to come. Of course, we suggest you lather on LOTS of sunscreen and protect yourself in the sun, but if you slip up and get a little burn, apple cider vinegar will help with the pain. Rub the vinegar directly onto your sunburn to soothe the burn and your red skin.

11. Aids in Weight Loss

Reader’s Digest explains why apple cider vinegar can actually help you to lose weight:
The acetic acid suppresses your appetite, increases your metabolism, and reduces water retention. Scientists also theorize that apple cider vinegar interferes with the body’s digestion of starch, which means fewer calories enter the bloodstream.

12. Helps Clear Acne

Apple cider vinegar works wonderfully as a natural toner. Because of its antibacterial properties, it can help keep acne under control, soften and exfoliate skin, reduce red spots and balance your skin’s pH levels.

13. Removes Warts

If warts are troubling your skin, apple cider vinegar can help with that, too. Place a cotton pad soaked in vinegar onto your wart, then secure the cotton pad on with a bandage. Leave on overnight, repeating this routine for a week to see a rapidly reduced wart.

14. Helps You Get to Sleep

Having sleep troubles? If you’re restless at night or can’t fall asleep, a mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar before bed has been shown to help calm the nervous system and get you some much-needed z’s.

15. Treats Ear Infections

Ear infections can be painful and difficult to deal with. For an easy remedy, soak a cotton ball in a mixture of one part apple cider vinegar and an equal part of rubbing alcohol or water. Stick the soaked cotton ball in your ear and let sit for 5 minutes. The vinegar will help to soothe irritation and kill any bacteria ravaging your inner ear.

16. Soothes Sore Muscles

Whether you’re sore from the gym or a cold, rubbing apple cider vinegar on the afflicted areas has been proven to relieve your sore muscles. Rub a few teaspoons onto the pained areas, repeating a few times a day until the pain decreases.

17. Relieves Gout

If you suffer from joint pain due to gout, consume a little apple cider vinegar everyday will help relieve the swelling and pain. This also works for arthritis pain in joints.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar - Opinions?

Post by Horus »

I have personally never tried it, but it does sound like a load of old cobblers to me, a lot of hype that doesn't bear much scientific scrutiny. I reckon it is probably more of a placebo effect inasmuch as sipping something horrible and thinking it is doing you good actually works in a weird sort of way.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

A.C.V. isnt horrible, Horus. If you buy a good brand it is very palatable, I have been using it for years as I eat a lot of chopped up salads, olive oil, ACV and mayo, with various spices. My doc offered me Warfarin blood thinner, I opted for ACV, havent seized up yet ! ! ! My ladies in the care home were also given ACV on their food and they had Sage tea (Alzimer) to drink at 4 pm with their biscuit :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Apple cider for gout? Not for me as my Mother was a fan for some time and she had no beneficial effects from it at all, this would be when it was a New Thing in the early 60s.

However, I do get relief from gout and arthritis from black cherry concentrate, it's quite expensive but for me at least worth while. Delicious on yoghurt too.

Speaking of yoghurt I can remember when I was working with horses and show dogs in the early 60s that yoghurt was the Big New Thing. There was only one kind, not very thick and to our untutored taste buds tasted like sour milk - so it took quite a time to catch on. There were only two kind of milk then, normal and Channel Island both with visible cream at the neck of the bottle - the Channel Island milk being cream with the actual cream being almost primrose/custard colour. Homogenised milk was the next alternative and soon all the milk was visible cream free. :(

Later I kept Guernsey cows and the cream on their milk was thick and luscious. I made wonderful ice-cream. Mmmmmmm.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jay, had you told me it tasted like Cider then I may have tried it ;)

@MD, I have heard the same about black cherries being good for gout, seems they contain some sort of chemical that is beneficial. As for the Channel Island milk, yummy, that stuff was gorgeous, very much like those lovely Jersey cows :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Jersey cows are delightful though small, but the Jersey bulls have the temperament of a Spanish fighting bull! For me as the bull calves have to have a good life no matter how short, I preferred Guernseys for temperament and yield. Their butterfat content is very similar so my bull calves were reared on their mother along with another one or two beef crosses until they were about 6 months old - out at organically grown grass ( with shelters) plus extra corn in the winter. We killed them at about a year old not castrated nor de horned. Lovely tender meat from animals who had a good quality of life.

I had a goat who was officially milk recorded at Kent County show with a yield for the day of over a galloon and a half of milk at over 4.5%butterfat, which is a Jersey cow B.F.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

How many pints in a galloon MD? :lol: :lol: Nah! only joking :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:How many pints in a galloon MD? :lol: :lol: Nah! only joking :D
Would that be a British or American gallon then H? ;) Also only joking.

But there is a bit of decimalisation when it comes to a gallon, a gallon of water weighs 10 pounds so there you are ;) :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My grandfather had a dairy farm where he milked Holsteins (the big black and white jobs) for commercial sale but he had 1 Jersey for his own use. She was a super sweet and friendly cow too. Looked almost dainty compared to the Holsteins. Haven't thought about her for years.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Horus - Somerset,where the cider apples grow ? Had 2 barrels every year so of course I like ACV ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jay, I will second that :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not recently but I have used just plain old vinegar and water as a rinse after shampooing. Doesn't leave your hair really lovely and shining but don't think I've used Apple Cider Vinegar in or on anything.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:How many pints in a galloon MD? :lol: :lol: Nah! only joking :D
Eeght, thought you knew! ;)