CANADA-VISA

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

CANADA-VISA

Post by Kiya »

As I mentioned in another post Roy going off on Friday to Canada ( forgot exactly where ) for around 2 months, his paper work/visa all being arrange by his department.............he had to ask for birth dates of his 2 sisters.

I can understand given mine as I am next of kin but, his sisters ....why :?:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: CANADA-VISA

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Saying this sarcastically - if Roy said he is a refugee from Syria he can just arrived and will be given Permanent Residence AT the AIRPORT for FREE with NO WAITS!! :o

Roy was asked because Canada wants to make sure Roy has TIES to his home country and so will return when his visa time is finished (again sarcastic - we wouldn't actually want somebody with impeccable credentials who has a great and practical degree to be able to work to slip in and stay!)

Seriously - this is the website that tells all: https://www.canada.ca/en/index.html

If Roy should take a liking to Canada he can apply (and should) apply for Permanent Residence all by himself. You don't need an attorney or a company to do the paperwork to get you here.

Do you know where Roy is going? IF he is going to middle or northern Canada he honestly needs to INSIST his employer provide him with Survival gear. It is suits of clothing with built in heaters that the guys wear so they can cope with temperatures like minus 20 or minus 40.

It seems that since he is coming for 2 months they might be slipping him into the 2 months where the temperatures don't get super cold but honest if he is coming now (March/April) he will need special gear to be able to go outside.

Please ask him WHERE he is going. Really makes a huge difference here. I live in the BEST area of Canada were the temperatures are really like yours but that definitely isn't the rest of Canada and you really do need to know how to live in the cold cause it can get you really fast. Also depending on where he is going his Employer really MUST arrange his housing. You can fly into many of the workplaces but housing it almost non-existant. Men are living in 4 to what they call "bunkhouse" trailers. Sleeping room only that they pay a literal fortune for as nothing else is available. He can't just arrive and expect to have accommodation ready for him.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL Thanks so much for all your info, I cant remember off the top of my head which area it is but will ask when I get a chance to see him.

He's busy working this end just now also travelling back & fore to Uni each day, he has exams coming up very soon & will probably miss them unless Uni lets him sit early.

Will check out link you have given this evening.

Thanks again :up :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL Just been told from Roy it is Edmonton he is going to.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Edmonton is one of our most northern man made cities. Laid out grid fashion and probably has a population pushing 1 million people. It does have, for Canada, the largest indoor covered Mall (West Edmonton Mall) which is a tourist attraction in that in the Mall it has Wave pools, ice arenas, carnival areas, tons of restaurants and shops 'til you can drop.

Weather-wise it shouldn't be horribly cold there now and could be almost balmy.

Has Roy asked if his FINAL destination is Edmonton? Edmonton is also the stop off point to quite a few other REMOTE destinations that are fly-ins in little planes. :td (Tell Roy I know from first hand experience they can bounce on landing).

Edmonton is also OIL country :) so it is where most other ventures into Oil country are staged. OR is Roy there to head further north to diamond territory? ! :o !

Edmonton IS a very new and modern city. It has absolutely everything Roy could need or want. Being northern it is expensive (by our Canadian standards). He'll enjoy his time there. Rednecks abound though.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks so much LLL for all your information, its very helpful.

I'm not sure if Edmonton is his final destination but his work is oil/gas related.

As for the indoor mall if he has time off at all I'm sure he would enjoy the mall, usually when he is away with work it is 12 hour shifts 7 days a week, when finished it is eat, sleep & continuing his Uni work.

The company he works for are pretty good for living conditions away from home either hotels or property the company owns, as for oil rigs, supply boats that's a different matter, you stay put.

I'm sure he would enjoy his time there if he gets free time, red necks & all ;)

Thanks again :) :)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

LLL. very good info, I had no idea people wore heated suits ( been watching too much "Life below Zero" where they seem impervious to the cold) After watching the Canadian Border Control I dont think Canada is a very welcoming country.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jay, Have you seen the Australian version of that programe? they are positively hostile to people arriving there. :stp
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Yes, very amusing seeing as they as they have such shady beginnings - and they were happy enough to take all the British children in to work like slaves for them on their farms - - -
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And they all walk with a limp from the ankle chains :lol: :lol: I winder how long MT will last when he makes his move there? a shame we can't follow his adventures down under. ;)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

He wont stop posting Horus, he is addicted. He will love to be able to boast about the wonderful life in Australia.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Kiya - something I should mention and might be worth a pass to Roy. In the past few months the unemployment rate in Alberta has risen by 91%. Been on all the news. Ever since the oil & gas took a hit there have been massive layoffs, people are starting to lose houses and going through all associated with this type of industry downturn. Even our Prime Minister was there today talking to different groups trying to give re-assurances (assurances that he is going to extend the length of time Unemployment Insurance will be extended given this area is so hard hit). This IS honestly Red Neck territory.

Might be worth a mention to Roy NOT to say he is from outside Canada with a JOB and just arriving in. Am sure people will hear his accent and immediately know he is NOT Canadian but if he's in a Pub or some such place and ever asked might not be a good idea to say he just arrived for a job. Tensions running pretty high in that area right now cause of the downturn........

Just a thought
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Always good advice not to annoy the locals, I had a similar problem once in a predominantly Afrikaner speaking part of South Africa. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

With the recent drop in oil prices Alberta has been hit particularly hard AND Edmonton is the staging ground for MOST of the oil fields. People are up in arms about losing their jobs. Throw in the red-neck tendencies and - well - a word to the wise about going there right now to work.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am sure that Roy will be OK as he is needed by his company to perform certain tasks, but always better not to let a Redneck know that you are smarter tyan him ;)
Going off the subject, I was most intrigued to hear the other day that Canadian bank notes have brail on them to assist the blind, is that true? If so what a good idea. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually 'yes' our money - the paper money does have braille imprinted into it. Top left hand corner.

This is our $20 and you'll see faint bumps only (my photo inability to get the bumps any clearer). There are braille marks by the "C" of Canada, the second "a" and just by Queen Elizabeth's hair (left side about her ear). Different denominations have the braille in different areas in the upper top left quadrant.

Our money has holograms and is now sort of plastic. It does fold worth a darn, bills stick together like glue, if you leave a bill out in the sun that clear part will melt and it often tears apart. Our money is also slightly larger than American money so if you purchase wallets made in the USA our $$ won't necessarily fit. BUT our money is pretty. Lots of colors. A $5 is blue, $10 is purple, $20 green, $50 red and a $100 exactly the golden brown shades of E4U.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Saw Roy last night for a while, think he is now set to go.

I warned him of all your info LLL, seems he already knew of the rednecks, mall & the internal flight bounce etc etc...........a couple of his workmates have all ready been to Edmonton.

His flight intinerary is Peterhead - Aberdeen - Iceland - Toronto - Edmonton the first night in Edmonton is staying at the Raddison Hotel, looks nice & modern.

He will be picked up from there & taken to the site, he's not sure yet if he'll be working on site or the work place, he's been asked to take his driving licence so he may be given work transport to use (this has happened in the past) for his time there... 2mths.

Going to miss seeing my boy thank goodness for internet :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A wonderful opportunity for him though Kiya :up
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I cant believe your money melts LLL - - but, thinking about it, mine isnt even plastic and it seems to melt too - ! ! !
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes, he really is seeing the world with his work.

He's not going to see much though apart from work he will be continuing his uni stuff online in the evenings .