GIMP-BORDER

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

GIMP-BORDER

Post by Kiya »

Horus I'm stuck......can you help, I've been looking through all the tutorials you gave us for working in Gimp.

I've been trying to add a fancy border to the photo I've cleaned up a bit for my brother but, for the life of me I've forgotten how.

I have the tutorial for a simple rectangle border with adding colours (if we want) but, I'm trying for a fancier one, I've done it so many times before & it shows if you don't keep on top of things its soon forgotten how.

I know there is a few to pick from but just forgotten how............HELP please if your not to busy with your computer etc.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: GIMP-BORDER

Post by Horus »

Sorry Kiya, I have been out most of the day :) I will need to brush up myself, but I will get back to you tommorrow (Wednesday) :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just a thought Kiya, if you are desperate, copy your image into your 'Elements' programe and go to the 'Quick' selection where you will find some frames you may like.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

As & when you can Horus .....no rush, it will be good to brush up again with the borders, keep this old brain ticking over ;)

In the meantime I'll try in Elements :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, not wishing to interfere but when Horus posted all those tutorials in 2012 I copied and printed them.

This is the only one I have about borders that may help. Sorry the images are so small but I condensed the lessons on to as few pages as possible.

I wrote 29 November 2012 on it so just shows how long ago it was that Horus did those excellent tutorials. :up I do still refer to them....
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for finding that out Grandad and here are the written instructions that I found in my files
Adding a decorative border frame in Gimp

1. Open up a suitable image and add an Alpha Channel
2. Pull a rectangle that will be the inside of your frame
3. Go to ‘Select’ > and choose ‘Invert’
4. Make sure that your ‘Foreground’ colour is set to whatever you want it to be, mine is set to white and my ‘background’ is a sampled colour from my Butterfly
5. Now go to ‘Edit’ and select the option > ‘Fill with FG Colour’
6. Deselect everything by going to ‘Select’ then choosing > ‘None’
7. Now do the same again, but this time pull a slightly larger rectangle covering some of your ‘white’ border.
8. Choose Select > Invert again.
9. Again choose ‘Edit’ but this time select the option > ‘Fill with BG Colour’ which should be your ‘background’ colour, in my case it is the sampled colour from the wing.
10. Again deselect everything by going to ‘Select’ then choosing > ‘None’
11. Repeat the above, but make a slightly larger rectangle about halfway into the light brown colour.
12. Invert the selection again
13. This time fill with the ‘foreground’ colour again, ‘Fill with FG Colour’
14. Finish by deselecting everything.

I have added another rectangle to give me an outer border the same as the Butterfly’s wing colour, with care you may add as many or as few rectangles as you wish.

A good tip is to use the ‘Colour Picker Tool’ (eye dropper icon) 2nd row down and use it to select a colour from your image, this makes for a better complimentary colour match for your borders.

This may now be saved as a finished image or used as the background image for a collage picture.

I have also found a few links to the stuff I have posted over the years for GIMP, Photoshop & Elements, so if Kiya has a quick look through them she will hopefully find what she is after.
GIMP Tutorials
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2378

Using Vignettes in Elements
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3287

Making a Creased Line Tutorial
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1625

Earlier Tutorials
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1565
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Horus, I was looking through the same one last night from my folder of tutorials...........geezzz I remember doing the stained glass windows etc etc from your links above.

But, I don't want to be a nuisance ....I was wanting the fancy borders we get from Gimp>Filters>Distorts....like Waves-Ripple etc etc black or white whatever colour suits the pictures best, I'm just not getting there :?

I'm sure there is just a simple part I'm missing out :?

Thanks Grandad only just saw your post after replying to Horus :)