PC Problems

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: PC Problems

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good to know you're good to GO! What a pain all cause of a graphics card but such is the way of the world now re: cyber stuff. I never knew the beeps meant anything. Not that mine beeps but even if it did I wouldn't have known or even thought that that signified something (so you added to my list of trivia re: laptops I'll file away just in case mine gives up the ghost one day) :up

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I guess one favour deserves another as they say :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well my new external hard drive arrived as promised and I have already copied most of my photos onto it. It is a 1 Terabyte drive which if you are not familiar with these terms means that it will hold 1,024 Giga Bytes or 1,048,576 Mega Bytes :o (I can remember when hard drives where considered as being large if they were 20 Mega Bytes in size !! In other words, a 1 TB hard drive has the capacity to hold a trillion bytes. :sd That’s a far step up from floppy disks that only held thousands of bytes and nowadays a 1 Terabyte Drive is not considered as being large and you can cheaply buy them at 4 and 8 Terabytes.

This one is a portable device and would easily fit into a mans shirt pocket. It is a USB 3 device (USB 2 backward compatible) so it has a fast transfer rate and only requires it's power supply from the USB cable plug, it is a Samsung product and cost me £42 delivered. :up Data storage is so cheap today that they are worth the money just to back up your important data and of course your images. To give you some idea of the storage capacity of such a small device, I have already transferred around 22 thousand images :roll: (OK some are duplicated) plus a huge amount of other data such as Documents and other stuff and it is hardly dented the capacity, I have used about 1/10th of it’s available space.

I have another external drive which is a Western Digital 3.5” drive which is also 1 Terabyte in size and that also houses lots of stuff that is backed up, so real belt & braces, although I will guarantee that there will be something I have missed somewhere. The Western Digital drive is easily 6 times the physical size of the new Samsung which by the way has a 2.5” disc and it has to have its own power supply. That one just sits under my desk and I tend to forget its there unless I add or retrieve something from it. Only time will tell, but as things usually get better and cheaper as time goes by if this drive is as reliable as the more solidly built WD drive. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My PC has a 1Tb hard drive and I have a 250Mb and a 1TB back up drives. Their size would be similar to yours H. The 250Mb is quite large and the 1Tb is smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

To put all that into perspective, I bought a Sinclair ZX81 when they came out. I think it was about £70 pre-assembled in 1981 and it had 1Kb of built in memory. Just 1000 bytes. Most images from digital cameras are around 2Mb. I would have needed 2000 ZX81's to store one photo (if my maths are correct) :lol: And I have a 32Gb micro SD card on my desk, no bigger than my little finger nail.....the mind boggles :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The first computer that my Vet husband had in his practice was only programmed for admin in the practice and cost over £14,000. It took one intelligent girl 6 months to transfer the records of 3,000 patients onto a multitude of floppy discs if I remember rightly. I think it was early 1980s?

Do you remember the big floppy discs we used to have? Then there were smaller ones - and finally away with the grey and we had brightly coloured ones. Happy days.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The original floppy's were 8" diameter, :o but you are probably talking about 5-1/4" floppy disks MD which went through various capacity change from
Single-sided, 8 sectors/track: 160 KB (1981)
Single-sided, 9 sectors/track: 180 KB (1983)
Double-sided: 360 KB (1983)
High-Density (HD): 1.2 MB (1984)
After which the 3-1/2" Floppy became the norm for most users before we had things like CD's, ZIP Drives, USB & External Hard Drives, how things have moved on. :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am glad I'll never live to see the day WE are embedded with a device on birth so we can keep track of everything that needs to be kept track of. Sometimes I think we're moving ahead way too quickly. We can't adapt and live for any length of time with just one way. Everything is in constant flux and change.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The March of progress PC wise doesn't worry me particularly, although I wouldn't call myself an expert, by any means. However, I have to say this new sewing machine is burning the few brain cells I have left! It does far more than any PC I have ever had - and then some! I have to make the decision today as to whether I take it back to the dealer tomorrow and have him check it out (and me!) or whether I order a couple of accessories for it and carry on in the hope that it's 'operator error'. :cry:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

RS, the best thing to do is to ask the supplier to do the things on the machine that you are struggling with, that way you will know if its the machine or just your learning curve ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I do agree with you, Horus, and that was what I originally intended, but it is so heavy and poor DH would have to lift it to bring it downstairs and then into the boot of the car. If it is operator error - which I strongly suspect it is - I don't want to put him through that. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Then how about asking them nicely to write you down a step by step 'idiot proof' ;) programme that you can try for yourself as a test piece to determine if it is working OK?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I joined a group set up for this machine and I asked about this over the weekend - you know, just a summary - and I got told to take lessons and read the manual! :urm: Not very helpful, were they? Never mind! I'll get there! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

RS, not helpful is an understatement! :ni: What use is a group if they are not prepared to help another member? The first thing that would cross my mind if I had been asked about something I knew about would be to try and help with the problem. When it comes down to being unsure if someone is inputting the information correctly, then the simple solution is to write something down for them and say “do everything exactly as I have written it down, then let me know how you go on”
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

That's what I would do, Horus, and what I hoped, but.............! :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus, I inadvertently deleted some files and then without thinking, emptied the recycle bin. I don't use a cloud storage. Is there any way I might be able to recover these lost files? I tried Recuva but without any success.

I accept that they are probably lost forever :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You can get the files back Grandad IF you have not already 'overwritten' that part of the disk where they were stored, so programs such as Recuva usually work. If it doesnt there are quite a few about on the web you could search out and try, other than that you may be out of luck, do you not have them backed up elsewhere by any chance?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I will try again tomorrow H. Thanks :up They were actually files from the new camera. I had transferred them to my computer but not moved them to a file in 'My Docs' that I do keep backed up. I then accidentally deleted the download file and emptied the recycle bin. I had already re-formatted the card. :(
Won't do that again ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I tried Recouva but no cigar. This is the first time I downloaded photos from my small hand held camera onto this laptop and I think I was probably looking at them ON the laptop but still IN the camera. I can't find 'em :( They were just photos of this area - nothing great but I thought they'd be of interest. AND I specifically Formatted the card on the little camera......double no cigar.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh dear, looks like you have both been making some silly mistakes :tk Ah well we have all done it at some time or another ;)
I fitted my new Sound card yesterday and all seems OK, amazing really, it was only £8 delivered :? Chinese of course :up