Today + Dog

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Today + Dog

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Didn't rain here today and around midday I got ready to go out. The next door neighbor was outside and had his dog tied so that she was on a wire but could get over as far as my front door. First time he ever had his dog out front and tied.

The dog is fairly long legged, short fur but heavy coat. The dog has something of the body shape of a dalmation or pointer, long legs, long tail but the face is somewhat broad. This dog IMO is maybe 2 yrs old. Since I've moved in to this house if I go into the backyard (chain link fence between us that is heavy vined so you get peek-a-boo views) the dog will bark but the neighbors are always super quick to shush her and she more or less obeys. Barking-wise the dog is not a problem but she readily and easily alerts.

So as I stood in my driveway the dog charged me with NOT a pleasant bark. Neighbour immediately called her back and she obeyed. We decided that maybe I needed to be properly introduced so he came down from the ladder and told her to sit (she did) and then charged me again. He again told her to sit and she did and seemed to calm for a bit. He explained that she was young, was a pretty nervous dog, really energetic. You could tell the dog has long running type legs and just exuded energy.

We then talked about the weather and he kinda talked to the dog telling her she was a good girl, everything was ok and I was friend and ok.

For whatever reason the dog seemed to me to calm a bit and I figured most dogs want to be friendly once they know the person (in this case me) is friend not foe. The dog stood up I slightly (like maybe 6" in front of me) extended my hand for the dog to smell. She immediately HUMPHED in that she snapped at my hand but only caught air!!! No growl, no nothing just an aggressive snap. Neighbour immediately did the sit and stay and apologized to me that his dog snapped etc.

By now it was pretty evident to me that this is a dangerous dog and while the dog obeys it is jumping FAST and the orders from the owner are coming after the fact.

I've never seen her run free ever. Is always in the backyard and isn't a nuisance in that she isn't allowed to bark but I'm really feeling that this dog if it ever got away could really hurt somebody bad. She is a big dog too and this charging behavior is one thing but to actively snap with the owner standing right there talking calmly is quite another.

Been mulling if I should do something, say something. Don't really know these neighbors well...but...hate to see anybody get hurt but unfortunately until something happens .......... gee just wish it hadn't happened.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Today + Dog

Post by Mad Dilys »

Dangerous owner LLL in my opinion. This is a high energy dog that's getting little or no exercise, hasn't been socialized and is frankly stir crazy as a result.

My daughter's Doberman is similar, he does have a large garden and now a professional dog walker. He's been neutered, and is a loving member of the family - but he is always muzzled on his walks and when meeting people. The problem was her ex partner, now he's gone everyone is more relaxed and happy, but it's still left it's mark on the dog, who is very insecure.

As she and her son live in a rural area, and in spite of high boundaries were burgled before the dog arrived he helps with security.

I love dogs, started taking mine to training classes in 1958, was a professional dog trimmer and worked in showing and quarantine kennels, but I would never, ever completely trust any dog in every situation. Their view of the world is not the same as mine, their hearing and sense of smell for a start make it a very different place.
Smile! It confuses people
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

or being of a nervous type, and very bonded to her owner, she could have just felt she had to protect him from someone she wasnt comfortable with. dont forget, no matter how hard you were trying, your fear vibes would have been screaming at the dog... leading her to beleive your intentions may have been bad. Also.. on a chain or rope the dog has automatically losts its main defence, flight. fight or flight are the dogs 2 options in any situation, and one had been taken away from her. Whats left, its the ability to make sure you dont get any closer to what she holds dear.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Very well put, Robbo :up

The world is a very different place for a dog.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree with all of the above, in particular a dog on a lead or within its own territory. As you all know Annie is a very friendly dog, but her reaction to other dogs is very unpredictable if I have her on a leash, often she will rear up and bark very aggressively at another dog, something she would never do when off the leash. Even around the house she will bark furiously at anyone she sees passing bye and the first thing she does when let out around the back garden is to do a circuit whilst barking like a hooligan. She will bark and react to anyone knocking on the door, but once she sees the person she is all over them as usual. The way I see things is that the female dogs roll within the pack is to attract attention and bring ‘the boys’ in and that is why bitches will tend to bark at anything unusual so as to attract your (the pack leaders) attention, whereas a male dog is usually more quiet and less vocal if it does get aggressive. I have always stressed to people that a dog is a social pack animal and basically behaves as such, it is your duty to ensure that you are the senior pack member in their eyes.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've seen this dog through the fence for almost (hmmm) 15 months now but it is not close the fence is chain link but just covered in vines so you can't really see through it. The dog automatically barks but the neighbours are there in a flash telling her to 'shut up' and/or bring her in.

I can also say I've NEVER seen them walk the dog on the street past my house BUT they could also be walking daily and going in the other direction where you can make big loops in the trees and about the marsh and I'd never see it.

What got me was that the dog paced the entire time and while she responded to the owner she only briefly held the sit and then just charged again (and while I wasn't close and I know dogs don't know boundaries "I" was in MY driveway! ;) )

This dog IS super high energy. I get it that a dog might charge once but then when the owner comes down, talks to it, says basically life is good and tells it to calm - well MY dogs would have. This one would NOT have stopped and it wasn't nice charging this was I'm gonna bite you type IMO. And then to do the snap at my hand - Hmmm. I didn't reach out to pet it. I didn't WANT to pet it. It was more an automatic extension of my hand just out and then the snap at dead air.

Ahh well - I'm inclined to agree with MD. IMO this dog is so high energy it's brain is starved to run and it's body build is the type that could run - fast far and for a long time. It is loose in the back yard which while big isn't nearly sufficient for this dog to burn off anything and whilst they 'could' be walking this dog I don't kinda think so. On another note this is the first time in 15 months I've ever seen the dog 'out front' or 'up close.'

Still thinking what to do about this - neighbor didn't seem to concerned the dog snapped. Honestly if one of my dogs had snapped it would have seen stars cause I would have whacked it and in no uncertain terms the dog WOULD be subservient to me - this dog showed NO SIGN whatsoever of being subservient. It did what it did and obeyed but (hard to describe) it WAS obeying but the obedience wasn't sticking. It did what it was told and then did what it wanted with no sense it was disobeying or had done anything wrong or that it was going to stop.

IF I said to my last terrier - "did you do that?" or "who did that?" the ears immediately went back, the lips got licked, all movements got slow and even if he did nothing he looked and acted guilty. This dog had no sense or no behavior that told it she did anything wrong nor was there any circling to say "OOOPS I didn't mean it."
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think you will just have to see if there are any more actions from this dog that would make you concerned about its behaviour, maybe the owners know it is badly behaved towards other people and that is why they keep it in the garden and not outside the property.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually I was just outside hanging up another suet square for the crows to decimate ;) and was talking to the neighbor on the other side of me. They've seen the neighbour walking this dog with a muzzle. It apparently wears a cage muzzle whenever it is taken out for a walk- never knew this but then I can't SEE that side of the house and rarely see the neighbours with the dog coming or going.

Honestly in this day and age if I owned a dog that required a muzzle in public I wouldn't have it. Too much liability and if it actually ever played escape artist and hurt a child I'd die.

Open aggression in a young big nervous anxious dog isn't a good idea. This dog also IMO needs way more exercise and running than it is getting. In this case I'd be putting in a tread mill and hooking the dog up to it daily for an hour or so run so as to bring the pacing down to a dull roar. I think doing this would also decrease a lot of the other behaviors too.

I'm not going to do anything about this unless there is another incident. I hope not and the neighbours do seem very reasonable responsible people (they're NOT bikers ;) ) I think they've probably gotten a puppy that is way too much for them but is friendly with them and now they can't bring themselves to do anything about it.

Hope it all turns out OK. Time will tell.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I think they should be applauded for putting a muzzle on the dog at all times when out. Sadly, a high percentage of bites arise from irresponsible owners who wont admit their dog has a bite potential. In the UK, the dangerous dog index has been re opened to dogs that are of 'pit type' but have passed temprement tests by the police. Regardless of their attitude, they have to be muzzled at all times when outside of the house. (if any of them had a snap or a bite in them, they wouldnt pass the test and wouldnt be out anyway!)

By the sounds of it, they are trying to work with a dog with issues and going about it the right way. They obviously made a mistake allowing the dog too close to you, knowing it was a bite hazard but they are being responsible with the dogs general issues.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Hi, Robbo, I wonder if you could help me? :ni: I have mentioned my daughter's big Doberman, well, we have a problem with getting a well fitting Muzzle.

Originally when I went out there a few years ago he had a heavy duty plastic job, but it pressed a bit on the end of his nose. Locally there was nothing his size, but at a craft market I saw a very nice hand made leather box muzzle which was ok in winter but it gets very hot in the summer. He wasn't distressed, we made extra ventilation holes but not really the answer.

So I ordered a heavy duty metal one off the internet from a company which produced a wide range. ( I'll have to look up the name, can't remember at the moment.) It was quite expensive, but heavy duty ad according to the advertising blurb the dog should be able to pant and drink water while wearing it, in other words for comfortable all day wear.

I got the largest size for a Doberman and it fits his head almost exactly, allowing his mouth to open a little, but certainly not enough to drink or in my opinion to pant heavily.

I wanted to send it back but my daughter vetoed me.

Can you recommend a company that I might order one from that fitted him better? The problem is that long lean head. I did wonder about a greyhound muzzle,, but I think he's too big around the jaw, I don't know - I need advice. :up

Incidentally he was the runt of the litter, but ultimately grew much bigger than his siblings - not a giant of course about 28 inches to the wither and he wears a coat that's also about 28 in along the back.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Its amazing just how well a greyhound muzzle fits most long nosed dogs and the basket is quite wide. my smaller rottie bitch can wear one comfortably rather than the shorter box style made for rotties. My preference is the Baskerville muzzles, especially as they have a sturdy leather strap that fits down the centre of the dogs head to the nose which stops the muzzle sliding one way or the other.

Best advice is pop the dog down to pets @ home and tell them you need to try out the muzzles. They welcome dogs in and let you try before you buy! If you want to try a greyhound muzzle then google the Retired Greyhound Trust and find your nearest branch. Or any greyhound rescue to be fair. They should be more than happy to let you try out a training muzzle, which is very deep and allows a greyhound to drink, pant and bark lots whilst wearing one. They usually sell them to greyhound people for about £15 so way cheaper than the shops. The actualy racing muzzles are made of metal mesh but probably a bit too flimsy for a large dobe.

edited to say.. the greyhound training type are a flexible plastic so will bend to fit a wider face. you can always pad it up a bit with a bit of fleece or a roll of sticking plaster type fabric

edited again lol... the baskerville ultra as developed by Roger Mugford, probably one of the best behaviourists in the UK. Does a lot of the temprement testing for the police over potential dangerous dogs...
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Definately one for the "Hound of the Baskervilles" club :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks Robbo, but there's a problem. My daughter and her dogs live in Santa Eulalia, Ibiza.

There's a popular "Dog Boutique" near her other place in Ibiza city, but it seems to cater almost exclusively for toy dogs.

I was not impressed either when I saw a Chihuahua pup, shivering and alone in a large glass cabinet. I was told it was 3 months old I would say 5 weeks :xx That pup haunts me, even if I could have afforded it, I guess it's chance of survival was about 50/50 in view of the stress it had been under and it would encourage the b****rd selling it to do the same again.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

She may well be able to find a galgo rescue on the island. I am not sure if the hunting dogs are used there, but its a very popular sport with the spanish so worth a check on google. They are similar in size and stature to greyhounds so same size muzzles. If there is one, I am sure they would let her try it out for size. They have to be muzzled when not hunting due to their prey drive, and sadly, many and left tied to a tree to die at the end of the hunting season.. hence the galgo rescues all over spain.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

many and left tied to a tree to die at the end of the hunting season.
B*****ds! :x
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

There is a bit of ad hoc hunting, but not much. At least in her area - though I did hear hounds "running" in the distance, once or twice.

Her Vet has had a Podenco hunting dog in her practice pro bono for 8 weeks. Found in extremis with nasty compound fracture of the hind leg - tied up of course.

Bar stewards indeed.

My daughter rescued a dog which had been dumped be the recycling bins outside the town. He was a dear dog about the size of a border terrier. As she already has three dogs she couldn't offer him a home, sweet as he was.

A wonderful retired lady who usually has about 30 or more rescued dogs as "house guests" took him in. She rehomes the dogs after neutering, in northern Europe, refusing to let them go locally. She has a great network of previous adopters and supporters who investigate new homes. We actually met a German woman who was travelling back with two, one for herself and one for a close friend.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good result then MD :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The wonderful rescue lady, intended to retire to a life of luxury and leisure in a large and lovely house with a big garden on Ibiza.

Instead, God bless her, she is worn out looking after her charges. As she said, wryly to me "The number of animals that need help just doesn't get any less."
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

What a shame that her kindness has become such a burden :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a friend in the USA who, as a retired nurse, took to rescuing dogs. She was rather breed specific and mostly took in the larger hounds. She had no specific reason other than she loved them, loved the breed. She is well into her middle 80ies now and has to slow down on her rescuing more because her husband's eyesight is failing badly. She loves every dog she gets, does the neutering, grooming, tick searching and whatever else is needed and then the dog will move onto a more permanent home. She does have her own 3 or maybe 4 PET hounds.