What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Have a fantastic time, Grandad! :up

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Just an update on my fleece order. I ordered it early on Tuesday morning and it's arrived already. I have to say that it is absolutely gorgeous and GD is going to love it! It feels like velvet and if I don't have too much trouble attaching it, I will definitely use it again. It's the best fleece I've ever come across and at £6.99 a metre, it's cheaper than conventional cotton backing and wadding! :up :up :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Your GD is a very lucky girl, but I'm sure she deserves all you do for her. You are also providing her with a great role model. More power to your elbow, young Ruby. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - FYI I wear a size MEDIUM! ;) ;) ;)

Am going blonde today ..... life being a blonde is just so much fun! ;) And the sun is actually shining too (for now)

Got a gorgeous huge dahlia tuber root last night at the Horticulture Club and found out the city has built a huge greenhouse just around the corner for me where they're wanting/needing volunteers. It is a 10 meter wide by 25 meter long greenhouse where veggies are started for planting out in neighbourhood gardens for low income/homeless/food bank.

It was interesting as I heard absolutely nothing about this place. It is open every Wednesday 10am to noon for people to go and buy low cost veggie starts. (Got a whole bunch of seeds to donate to them) And they have outside raised veggie beds where they'll actually grow veggies to give to the food bank.

Their biggest issues is VANDALISM from the very people they're trying to feed :( :( Anything not nailed down gets stolen on a nightly basis.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I saw a programme about Skip Gardening https://www.kingscross.co.uk/skip-garden

It's a fascinating project in the middle of London partly educational and partly to provide food for the poor. Originally there was a very large building development and the redundant rubble skips which were not needed for a particular part of the site were borrowed by the project and used for growing plants and vegetables.
As the place where they were gardening was wanted, the skips being used were simply picked up and moved elsewhere, then when the development was finally finished the skips were donated to the gardening project. It's quite wonderful. I'll see if I can find more online.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I was rushing out today when I made my post and I thought when you said a fleece you were referring to a sweater coat (which is what they're called here - fleecies) Anyway just now I backed up to read EVERYTHING and you're making a quilt for your GD! Way cool - I misinterpreted this morning - thought you were making a sweater ;)

What bothers me most re: our community gardens is the vandalism. For heavens sake all the volunteers are going there to work, plant, grow food for all the homeless and they're the ones who are destroying their efforts. Really can't believe it that they'd go and steal and vandalize people's efforts for them.

This new greenhouse is just that NEW as the city's effort to feel the poor, homeless, less able, elderly. Crops do need to be grown outdoors in open land and the city has done their best to provide yet I can see it now where these idiots will go and destroy what is planted for THEM. Maybe not but seems to me they will. Really a sad commentary on our society here these days.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I've already been up and out to the Accountant and "YES!!!" have finished & filed all income taxes. (have to file in both Canada and USA forever :( ) BUT the dirty deed is DONE for another year.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its been a lovely day today, so been doing some outside jobs on the coop like a bit of painting. Hopefully they are predicting nice weather after this Sunday for the week so I may be able to work on it outside. I imagine that Grandad is sunning himself now and sipping a G &T, lets hope it lives up to expectations and they both have a lovely time. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

New oven arrived as scheduled at exactly 8.15am. I'm very impressed with A.O.com their customer relations are first class.

I haven't unpacked it yet, but I ordered a small George Foreman grill as well. The oven does come with a grill - which can be pulled down for easy cleaning of the top of the oven, but as I live alone a small counter top grill will be ideal for me. I have a small steamer, a micro-wave and with a grill and separate oven I can cook all the things I really enjoy.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks like you are all sorted now MD :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Nah, just starting! I've had one check of the house electrics, the second chap just acknowledged my enquiry but hasn't fixed a time or date to do the job.

I've had one roofer look at the job, no estimate yet, the other roofer hasn't acknowledged my phone and emails.

I know the plumbers and general builders will be the same. :ct
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - Good the appliances arrived. Always a bit of fun to be trying out new kitchen items

I'm off to meet a gf and her husband for brekkie at a local pub. The breakfast is good and they use farm eggs (REAL eggs from REAL chickens eating REAL bugs). It is a popular place to go so need to get there right at opening got a table in the new addition of the place which has lots of windows. The older part has windows but they're all heavy leaded glass so you don't really get too much daylight.

When I'm home I need to measure the strips I sewed for the next quilt. Used up a ton of scraps I've kept over the years so have made a good dent on the shelf where I was storing them all.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

As it's Monday morning I was sorting out post and arranging appointments for the week. I knew I had a hospital appointment on Friday, so just checked the date and time with my reading glasses on only to find that my appointment time was 8.30am and I thought it was 3.30pm!

Since it takes me about 3 hours to get mobile in the morning most days, that didn't look practical, so i have rung the auto service to change the day. Unfortunately robots can't do that, but they can cancel the appointment and in the fullness of time offer me another - and if the time is the same or similar we are back to square one and I speak to the robot again....................

The lesson learned today is - always read post with appropriate glasses on, even if the print is bold and I think I've read it correctly, then check and re check.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I CAN get going in the mornings easily IF I need to BUT lately given we're suffering from RAINITIS I just don't have the feel to get up and get moving.

I was outside yesterday for an hour pulling weeds from the front. Got a decent sized grocery bag full of 'em and the front now looks a tad better. I went over to inspect as I SPIED a yellow blob of dandelions which turned out to be a clump of Doronicum flowering. My peonies are up about 4" so have a good start. I'm getting a few more of them this year as they're more than hardy and for a couple days they flower more than gorgeous.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Oven in place, and electrician has a mature woman apprentice who had got bored with office work. Good for him. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I was up and doing early this morning so finished off the fleece backed quilt - just some ends to snip and pressing to do. I can honestly say that I will NEVER work with this fleece again! It was an absolute nightmare! However, here it is:9053
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks lovely, I thought you said you liked this fleece?
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

The quilt looks fantastic :) love the colours :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I love the fleece but working with it is a pain in the backside! It would be OK made into garments because they can be overlocked together, but as quilt backing? No way!! :td
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Kiya wrote:The quilt looks fantastic :) love the colours :)

Many thanks, Kiya. :)