What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Grandad »

Shrewd thinking MD. ;) My bulb (still dormant BTW) cost under £10 from Amazon and delivered from Holland in 3 days. Thumbs up to online shopping.

Two items ordered yesterday are scheduled to arrive TODAY. 1. A new 10x make up mirror (no not for me :lol: ) for which we paid delivery and 2. A new supply of Nespresso coffee pods, free delivery, and also out for delivery today.

I have to ask, why get up in the morning? Do all your shopping on a tablet in bed. :lol: :lol:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree about the online shopping, I took out Amazon Prime this year as they gave me special offer of under £60, but for that I also get Prime TV, lots of free exra music for my Alexa, I can download TV series or movies onto my Kindle Fire to watch on holiday and of course a lot of free books if I want them, not forgetting the free next day delivery. So far this year I am fairly sure I am on the right side of things financially and it has been very convienient. :up

As to the Christmas flowering all I can say is that I hope to have them myself over that period, past experience says that they can take 5 -7 weeks from planting so we will have to see. Although if Tesco do decide to get them in I may also decide to get one of theirs as they are usually very good. I always have cut flowers in my bay window and at the moment I have 4 Moth Orchids which tend to flower alternatively over a 6 month period. My large Purple flowered one is now in bud and by Christmas will still have masses of lovely blooms on it even if it does flower in the next couple of weeks, they are very long lasting, I like to see the flowers in my window so a few more wont be a problem ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Totally agree about shopping online. I've had Prime for about 3 years, I think it's very worthwhile. My eldest daughter and I both shop on line a lot, but my youngest PC daughter doesn't want any present that is delivered by Amazon on principle - because of their tax payment arrangements.

I do find though that they use huge amounts of packing - yes everything has arrived in good order, but what a lot pf packing to dispose of, very wasteful.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree about the packaging which is often a nearest sized box with a product also in a box inside of that stuffed with miles of brown paper. Where possible I like to receive my stuff in their 'frustration free' cardboard box which has little waste an dis ideal for small items.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

MD, as you never commented on it, did you see the link I gave a couple of pages back regarding the free software you could download to help you resize your images as you were saying you wish you could post some of your own on here?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have toyed with Amazon Prime but have never bought it. Was interested to hear what all you do get when you purchase it H.

I do periodically purchase things via Amazon and it is mostly the delivery fees that stop me but maybe purchasing Prime gets me the free delivery plus the extra books and TV viewing stuff.......will have to think on it.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:MD, as you never commented on it, did you see the link I gave a couple of pages back regarding the free software you could download to help you resize your images as you were saying you wish you could post some of your own on here?
Sorry Horus, mindslip on my part, just haven't got round to it yet. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OK no probs, just wondered if you had missed the post :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Forgot to mention that it is a very good program with lots of other features and easy enough to use. I used it to edit and resize all the images in my latest Autumn walk post as a test. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As I can't do ladders any more, and the gutters and plastics needed cleaning, I got in touch with a chap who cleans a friends windows. He called just after we returned from shopping and quoted just £42 to do Gutters, all outside plastics, and windows, AND he had a bit of time and could do it there and then.

Best deal of the day and at least that will stop Mrs G 'reminding' me that the outside needs cleaning. ;) I have agreed for him to do all the windows on a regular 8 week cycle which is good because he cleans the glass and wipes the uPVC frames so I don't need to worry about them any more. BUT, as Horus and I have said in the past, when you have done these jobs all your life it is hard to concede that you must get someone else to do it now.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Never mind Grandad I am sure there are lots of other jobs you can still do :up
It was like the time I did not answer my phone and my daughter was getting worried so sent her husband to investigate.
I got a right rollicking from her when he told her he had found me on a neighbours roof giving him a hand :lol:
"That's the last place I expected to find my bloody father" :sd she admonished me. :oops:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thursday mornings are pottery studio time so today I was staining everything with a brown underglaze (Bernhartdts wash). It gives a rather rustic look to it. Also managed to stain all around my finger nails too so 'til it wears off I'll just live with it.

Am home now waiting to hear from the daughter. The granddaughter had tubes put in her ears but one came out, seems her hearing has again deteriorated so seems the doctors are thinking another surgery. Today was app't day so waiting to hear.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry to learn about the Grandaughter LLL, no fun when a youngster has problems like that, hoping it all turns out OK :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just talked to the daughter and apparently the testing showed that the Granddaughter has decreased hearing in both ears. The ear that still has the tube in it has fluid/wax etc and was the worst. The ear the tube came out of also has fluid and both ears registered a decrease.

They're off to the surgeon this Tuesday but we're thinking and figuring another surgery will happen again to clean out everything and re-insert new tubes.

In a way I'm not surprised her hearing isn't doing as well because her speak has also deteriorated lately. She isn't deaf but has had quite decreased hearing since birth so has also had speech impediments whereby she was really only speaking partial words so lots of her speech sounded like gibberish. She has been getting speech therapy and really progressed with it so that her words were coming clearly. Last few weeks she has been sliding back but I thought it was because the sessions lapsed as the one therapist took a another job and the new one hasn't quite started yet. Will know come Tuesday what the plan is going to be.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sorry about that LLL, it sounds like a condition known here as 'glue ear' where there is a build up of fluids in the ear canal. I would imagine it is similar to that awful feeling you get after swimming and diving when you get water in your ear and everything sounds muffled until it suddenly pops and it becomes clear again. Lets hope thet soon fix the problem. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL...hope everything goes well with your grand daughter :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Today, we have been trying our hand at making mincemeat for the Christmas mince pies! I must admit, I don't particularly like mince pies but DH is a real glutton for them, so let's hope it turns out ok. It is now residing in a low oven for another hour, then will be stirred throughout the evening, then tomorrow we will add the brandy before potting it up to store until Chrismas - hopefully!!! :eat
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That sounds very yummy RS,so when can we expect to get the pies? :eat

My next project is messing about with a wireless camera to see if it will do the job I want it to do. I have told you before about how difficult it is for me to reverse my caravan down my drive, basically because I have to lock over at 90 degrees to get the van in my drive and it is not helped by my own drive falling away at an angle to the road I live on. I have a very good neighbour who usually pops out and watches the back end for me as I do the reversing manoeuvre because once I lock over and start to reverse all I can see is the front of the caravan, even my wing mirrors are useless, so I cannot see how close I am to missing my garden wall with the rear corner of the caravan as I reverse in.

As he may not always be handy I thought that if I could fit one or even two cameras to the caravan then that may be of great help when reversing in on my own. I have seen a nice kit on Amazon that has an in car monitor screen and one or two (optional) wireless cameras to go with it, I decided on wireless to make the installation job a bit easier. I was chatting with my mate and between us we have cobbled together a monitor and a camera (both wireless) and a power supply, so over the next week or when the weather improves I will be doing a few experiments to see if I can get it to work for what I need it to do. If everything is successful then I will spend the money on getting the proper stuff to do the job.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My vehicle, a Prius has a backup camera. It was a 'new' feature that I've never had before but it is super handy. You can really SEE everything behind you quite clearly and is honestly a great help.

Today I'm getting ready for the floor layer to come Tuesday. Been shoving furniture around and about. Managed to get all the carpet in the bedroom pulled up and rolled up (hopefully somebody wants it - put in on the FREE site) and now I'm just taking a break, watching a nature show and reading here ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

So you can imagine how difficult it is in trying to turn a 90 degree corner in reverse with a big box behind you and you cannot see where you are going :o