What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Grandad »

Officially LLL these 4 breeds are banned in the UK:
The Pit Bull Terrier, The Japanese Tosa, The Dogo Argentino, The Fila Brasileiro

There are some exceptions as I understand. If a dog looks like one of these breeds but may not be pure bred, it can still be banned.

I am wary of most large dogs but I have a soft spot for 'Staffies'

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

If my neighbours had secure fencing I wouldn't care what kind of dog they had. The problem is that most dog owners are ignorant of the escaping skill of most dogs, do not understand they can be terribly bored and therefore look for "trouble".

On the whole I don't think the breed really is the problem. Often with the best intentions it's the owner.

I am more cautious of Border Collies, small terriers especially Jack Russells, Chihuahuas, Toy Poodles, (not Standards) German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweillers...................

Experience has taught me to trust no dog but I think it's easier to say the dogs I am nearer to trusting
are the sight hounds - Greyhounds, Salukis, Afghans, Ibizan Podenco, Whippets etc etc. I think because as their focal distance is actually pretty far away, they aren't interested in what in under their nose.

I'd really like an English Bull Terrier, never come across one that was likely to bite humans, though I'm sure I was just lucky. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My own homeowners insurance now forbids me having any of what they term the bully &/or aggressive breeds (pure or mixed) specifically: pitbulls, rottweillers, Dobermans, bull terriers, cane corsos, bull mastiffs (there are about 10 breeds). IF I opt to own one they WILL cancel my house insurance.

I was bit by our old family Saint Bernard when I was kid. I have no memory (other than the scar) but I was sent out to collect the eggs in the chicken house and the dog was also in there and for whatever reason as I collected the eggs and reach out it bit me. The dog was also really old. Other than this I've never been bit by a dog but have come close a few times (one Lab and one Pug). I quite like dogs but I don't really trust them too much either until I get to really know them and never would trust a dog around a child.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I started at dog training in 1958 with my Cairn Terrier, I only had him a year when my Father died and my Mother bless her gave "Trustie" away - we had two, she said one had to go and if it was hers she would never forgive me. She was in deep shock and he did go to a good home.

I started trimming dogs while still at school, then when I worked at the Vets we trimmed, often under sedation dogs that their owners couldn't or wouldn't groom. I managed with most of them to gradually get their confidence so that that didn't have to be sedated. I thought I was doing very well with a Westie who was particularly aggressive and had got to the point where he just laid on the table without any restraint.............. until he suddenly bit me with his head sideways across my face. I was only bruised, I think he was warning me, but it could have been much worse. It was the only time my face was damaged - hands, arms, legs and feet quite often, which is not surprising given the environment in the Vet practice and Quarantine Kennels.

I've never been bitten by any of the Bull Breeds. Terriers and Labradors frequently, the odd Doberman and some Miniature Poodles. I was asked to re-home one that had just bitten the end off it's owners nose, believe it or not.

There is a fashion in the UK at the moment for buying long haired dogs like Lhasa Apso, Yorkies and Poodles and their crossbred offspring, and then cutting their coat short - why? It's not as if they ever intended to keep the coat long, absolutely no attempt made, so why not choose a breed that has a short coat? Better for the dog and better for the human. :x

Rant over, have a nice day. :a2:

I'd still prefer a dog bite to a cat bite any day! They tend to infect more often.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

P.S. I am affectionate and tactile with dogs, but that doesn't mean I trust them and I don't believe unsupervised children should be with dogs of any breed.

I don't trust the dogs and I certainly don't trust the children not to do something that the other may misinterpret, leading to a problem.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Talking doggies, our grand daughters little terrier Millie is probably coming to the end of her time. Hannah was 5 when she had Millie, she is now 21 so Millie at 16 is past the average expectancy.
She slept through Monday night and didn't rouse until 11am yesterday, even with everyone getting off to work. I am expecting that someday soon she will simply not wake up.
That will be a very sad day. :(

On a totally different subject, I spent several hours yesterday seeking out somewhere to go for a break in April. There are many reasons that limit the opportunities open to us now. Lst year we tried cruising with a short 4 nighter and a longer 12 nighter but cruising is not for us.

We wanted something around 8 to 10 nights, we discounted Luxor because Egyptair only go direct on Mondays and we did not want 14 nights there. We simply want somewhere warm with 5 star comfort and service and excellent food. I finally booked, via British Airways, 8 nights in the UAE at Ras al Khaimah. Just a lazy week of sun and sand, everything booked including transfers and insurance so we have something to look forward to before a serious attack of 'cabin fever' sets in. ;) :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Mmmm, sounds nice Grandad. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Sounds good, Grandad. I certainly need the sun and sand but not the relaxation! I keep looking at Oman and getting tempted but there doesn't seem to be much to do there - unless anyone knows any different? In which case, please be my guest and put me straight! :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The UAE for a short jaunt sounds excellent.

I'd love to see Oman myself but I'd really not want to see the poverty and social unrest that pops up in that country.

IF I could tele-transport me anywhere for any length of time and be able to stay in a 5 star hotel every night (OK that is really in la la land dreaming and I actually don't even mean it) I'd love to spend months touring the Middle East, Africa and India. Given the travel distances I'd want to go for a minimum of a month particularly India. I'd absolutely LOVE to go there but that is like saying 'come to Canada for 2 weeks.' The country is just way to large and diverse and there is just too much to see.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On another note Horus seems to be MIA. Hope he hasn't got the flu. What I had was a total killer for about 3 days and I was left tired after. Am still feeling a tad tired but essentially back to being up to snuff.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I too have noticed Horus's absence. Hope you are OK mate.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Usual Thursday excursion to the supermarket for the weekly shopping. #2 son is coming through to do the taxi honours for us. As usual I shall get the heavies, milk and wine while my wife gets all the other stuff. I usually find some creamy treats to have with our afternoon tea ;)

Still thinking of Horus. He doesn't normally take a break without mentioning it. :?:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm hoping to have a busy day as I had a good night's sleep at last! So as I have to go out to collect medicine, will go on to the City for the bank and then get another Taxi to ............... the Garden Centre. :wave: :jig:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Mmmm. Very strange! Horus hasn't logged in either here or the blue side in the last 24 hours which is unusual for a top mod! Hope he's okay! :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm quite concerned too. I've been keeping an eye on who has signed since yesterday. I hope he's ok :tk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Problem is, I believe Horus is 'hidden ' so you will not know if he logs in. Give it a few days, if he is unwell he will be in touch when he feels inclined.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm guessing that H has the flu as he had been mentioning that he wasn't feeling terribly well. Hopefully he'll be back online over the next day or two and hopefully he isn't suffering the flu.

Went to Pottery today to find out that the Studio has just re-opened as the Lady who runs it has some serious heart problems and issues and is now totally unable to run the Drop In (which is what I go to). I had VM messages on my laptop when I was gone which I actually haven't listened to yet and it was from the Seniors Center saying it was temporarily closed.

On my way out I went into the office and essentially volunteered to "oversee" the Thursday morning Drop In for 3 hours if that is what it takes to keep the Pottery Studio going. They have 2 Instructors who teach wheel and they could do all the firing (if necessary) but these Instructors don't/can't monitor the room Thursdays. Hopefully they'll give me the 'thumbs up' cause I go there anyway and have been there enough to basically know where everything is. Will see but I really want to get MY stuff done and finished too!

Taking the twins Birthday presents over to them today. Yesterday was solid snow and more is predicted for tomorrow so will go there prezzies in hand today.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Mammogram today. I don't mind having them and they've never hurt me so I guess that contributes to me being ok with going. My only issue today is that it is snowing again so the roads are going to be yucky but my appointment is this morning so hopefully I'll get up there before the roads get too slick.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Contrary to what I said earlier, Horus is listed as logging on in the last 24 hours. My assumption was based on the fact that I could not find his last post from his profile because it is not recorded.

Anyhow, if you are about H please let us know because it is out of character to see no post from you for a few days and the tribe was getting restless. ;) :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yes, I saw him logged too, which is great! Hope you're okay Horus, and will soon be back posting and keeping us all in order! :up