What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Flying suits? you're not into Hang Gliders are you RS :lol:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have been busy putting a 240 volt external waterproof socket outside of my garage so that I can plug my caravan service lead into it (it keeps the battery charged up) without having a power cable jammed under the garage doors in order to reach a 13 amp plug. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have been getting rid of the last of the grit around the patio slabs. You may remember that I removed the grit and filled the gaps between the slabs that the birds loved to dig out searching for grubs etc. I left a border for drainage but they found that as well so I have now removed the last of the grit and filled the perimeter gaps with cobbles.

I am now expecting the squirrels to lift the cobbles to hide their nuts. :lol:

Just to show what I mean.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That looks the job now Grandad :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - looks fantastic! I have your type of hostas too.

So far I haven't had a slug on my hostas but then I've got them sitting on concrete and the slugs would have to pass quite a ways over gravel and concrete to get to them.

Finally the painter guys have started to stain the back deck - whewwwwww was beginning to think they'd NEVER get to the actually staining job after all the sanding they've been doing. Talk about DUST! UGH!

Had to go pick up the twins from school as the youngest didn't have a good night. Was up with a bucket most of the night as were Mom (the dtr) and Dad (sil). She has her 'graduation' from pre-school tomorrow which is the highlight of her month as they're serving CAKE which is her most favourite thing.

When at the Dtrs I grabbed a bagful of Hen & Chicks (sedums) and brought them home and planted them all along the sidewalk garden line. Gets full sun so it a terrific spot for them. I started the daughter with 4. They absolutely LOVE her garden and she now probably had 400 so I liberated a few to bring back here. Have to remember to get her some more of my different varieties. They really seem to thrive at her house.

Still hot here and as we're entering into evening I've got the doors open and the fans on to help cool this place down.

Was also out and picking lettuce from the garden. Something came over my back fence and landed right in the middle of all my onions and have crushed probably 2/3rd of them over. NOT happy about that. Looks like about raccoon size :xx Where is Grandads night camera when I need it! ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I just snapped a quick shot of some of my Hostas, these three are doing fairly well and two of them are also flowering.

Although the outer one has been bibbled by slugs,

But this one which is the same type as Grandads has been devasted by them, as is the one next to it :x

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Such a shame when the slugs get at them. I think they are such attractive ornamental plants.
So far I have been lucky with slugs although I did see a trail yesterday so I shall be busy with the slug pellets today. I have probably not done myself any favours by removing the gravel, I don't think they liked it.
I also wonder if foxes eat slugs? I know they come down onto the slabs as I will show you later today..........so watch this space ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I reckon that the generally warmer, drier weather you get helps with the slug problem Grandad and I daren't use slug pellets because of Annie. I think a fox may well eat a slug Grandad if it finds one, so be careful with those slug pellets. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So far I haven't had or seen a slug. Most of my hostas are containerized (and I'd take a photo 'cept they're all kinda shoved aside while the painters are here) and sitting well away from lawn/grass and other vegetation. I love the way they're all growing to big, bushy and full and I'd be beside myself if they started to get eaten.

I actually bought 4 miniature hostas - Pilgrom, Toy Soldier and two more whose names I've forgotten. I'm not good at remembering the name of who is what. I had 4 smaller pots I was actually going to toss out but when I saw these mini hostas I figured 'what the heck' and planted them. Right now they're only a single stalk so not looking terribly lush but it is my plan to put them UP on stands.

I've got a couple ferns started (have to compete with Grandad since he said he has ferns! ;) ) and hopefully they'll grow sufficient to hang over their pots and I can put them on HIGH(er) plant stands, the mini hostas on high but shorter plant stands and then have the really big hostas in their pots on the ground. Am trying for a few different heights and levels to make a display but it isn't going to start happening really 'til next year and probably the year after before they're all really really growing huge.

Here I've seen slug houses where you can put the pellets inside so that pets can't get them. I don't have the houses but so far I haven't seen slugs getting near my hostas. (@H - that one plant sure has been decimated)

I've also heard that if you put our shallow dish of beer slugs will go to that and essentially drown in it.

So far today - I've watered the veggie garden, watched the painter guy get started and am getting ready to go to see the Granddaughter Graduate from Pre-School. She is young enough that she'll actually be there next year but the Pre-school calls this last day activity Graduation so she is all excited about Grad ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, with the beer pots you are better off using something like a plastic coffee cup with a steep side, then dig it into the soil to ground level, they still fall into it and drown. :vs
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I switched on my PC this morning and it didn't boot. OMG don't fail on me :lol:

I switched off and started again and all was well BUT just in case, I did an immediate back up.

Been to the tip to get rid of some rubbish including the now redundant gravel. Topped up with fuel. first time sine 3 March as the car has spent most of the time in the garage.

Batteries in the trail cam ran out last night before 10 pm so nothing worth keeping. The battery symbo; is supposed to blink when getting low but that doesn't seem to work. When it was mounted on the wall I used a transformer but now it is just batteries.....8x Duracell is a bit costly but I have put new ones in and hope to get the cubs again tonight.

Just a bits and pieces pottering day :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:they still fall into it and drown. :vs
Are you sure H? ;)

This fellow went in

Crawled around the bottom

And then came out

I think they get drunk on the beer :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That one was only swimming Grandad, I can guarantee that if it was beer in there they would drown ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We revisited the little country pub, The Black Robin, that I told you was the venue for the funeral reception that we attended last Wednesday. Mrs G's birthday today so I invited #1 son and his wife to join us for lunch. (for both of them it was conveniently their day off from work)
We had been impressed with the buffet for the reception and their lunchtime offering is a step above normal 'pub grub'. Very enjoyable and we will be back. :up

Also, #1 son in law acquired 3 bags of cobbles to finish off the border infill (he works for an aggregates company so a little perk of the job) ;) :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This morning I'm headed out to help a girlfriend set up a Bistro that is just around the corner from me in a new dementia facility that has been built.

I watched the "For Sale" sign go up, I saw the "Sold" sign go up, I saw that ground had been broke and I've watched as this magnificent building was built. I really didn't know what it was until a presentation happened at a Women's Group I belong to and found out it was a new concept dementia facility whereby inside this huge building people live in "neighbourhoods" vs wards.

As our population ages we have more and more elderly and dementia is, sadly, a feature of aging. As I did a brief two year stint with the elderly years and years ago I'm more than aware of the many 'issues' this particular group faces and of the challenges on so many front of living in an institution.

My gf is in charge of the volunteers coming into this facility and secondarily of setting up programs. Her two first programs are to set up the Bistro (what they're choosing to call the coffee shop) and Gift Shop.

Not too sure what we will be doing today but I know she is still in the process of starting everything as the building just had the grand opening about a month ago and all residents moved in about 2 weeks ago. Apparently the move was done well technically BUT moving 90 or so residents suffering from various levels of dementia was very trying and difficult. "Familiarity" is necessary and it was disrupted.

Will see how today goes :) Am more than interested in seeing this place too.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good luck with that it seems a very worthy project and anyone who has had to deal with this awful condition within the family as I have, will appreciate what they/you are doing. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just booked a few days away in North Wales mid month, I shall be trying out my new SUV and how well (or not) it tows my caravan. So taking Annie to the seaside and to explore a few local castles and attractions, lets hope the weather holds up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Good luck with the trip H, I am sure the new motor will cope well. :up

@LLL That concept is a new one on me but it will be interesting to hear how the residents co-exist so please keep us informed.

We returned from a short break away today. I will tell you about it when I have sorted a few piccies.

My big concern was the pots on the patio especially as the weather got hot while we were away. Needn't have worried, everything looked fine but a first job was to give a good watering.

How things looked immediately after I watered
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well they haven't suffered Grandad, still looking good :up
I was sitting at my PC today when an email arrived from a mate of mine saying he had booked a couple of days at the Delamere Forest touring caravan site, it really nice there and Annie loves the walks around the many meres. So just had to force myself to book a couple of days there myself to meet up, hard work all this caravanning ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Looking pretty Grandad :)

Horus Conwyn Castle is a good one to visit. :)