What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Grandad »

Horus I do appreciate your words of caution. It is too easy to become over optimistic but for me any improvement would be a bonus and if there is no improvement then nothing is lost.
You do seem to be well informed about cataract surgery. Have you had the procedure yourself or do you know someone close who has. Anything to do with eyes is a bit scary, there are certain risks associated with injections in the eye and I have had 18 so far without any problem. I am looking forward to this and will keep you informed with an honest report of my experience........when it happens. ;)

:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Very best wishes Grandad. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Best of luck Grandad. I don't see there is much of a downside to you so if it was me I'd be going for anything I could get. Not want to jinx it by getting hopes up but IF a modicum of vision could be restored it would be primo :)

Today ....... hmmmm. So far I haven't gotten further than drinking my morning coffee and listening to the Sunday news that recaps everything I watched all week long so not really holding my interest too much. Watered the plants and yesterday actually bought TWO soaker hoses so that I can hopefully now get the front garden watered without having to constantly walk out and move the hose every 15 minutes. Don't feel like going for a walk, one gf has company from Germany, another has gone camping for the next month and I'm not too sure what anybody else is doing.......sooooooo will have to think of something to do to amuse me. Probably stroll out so some of the garden centres to see what is 'on sale' as I can always cram in another plant.

Last week I bought TWO cranberries. They're low kinda like ground covers so I put them out back to grow around the bottom of the blueberries. I like them dried and whole berries from a tin with chicken or turkey but have never ever tried to grow them. Also found a dark purple Hollyhock. Put that one on the fence and would love to find one or two more colours to add to that.

Will have to see what today brings :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote
Horus I do appreciate your words of caution. It is too easy to become over optimistic but for me any improvement would be a bonus and if there is no improvement then nothing is lost.
You do seem to be well informed about cataract surgery. Have you had the procedure yourself or do you know someone close who has.
Yes Grandad spread over several years I have had both eyes done, one using the old technique where they sliced open the eye to insert a rigid lens and of course stitched it back together again, not quite as bad as it sounds, but at the time it was a 6 weeks off work job to recover. :o The second one was done using the latest methods of inserting a needle from the side and doing all the work through it including inserting the very flimsy self unrolling type lens across the new opening. Very quick and relatively pain free other than a bit of soreness afterwards, as an aside, I do not find either method to be superior to the other when it comes to my vision. You may also find that Mrs G starts to think you have 'glint' in your eye after the op, ;) nothing to worry her, :lol: it is only the light that in certain conditions bounces back out of the eye as a reflection. Both my eyes used to do it all the time much to the alarm of some friends when it happened as it does look a bit spooky, you can see them having visions of “the Exorcist” :sd It does dull off with time, although someone commented on mine glinting only last week in the pub, even after 20 plus years it still does it. :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I don't switch the trail cam on every night, mainly because it eats up 8 x AA batteries in no time, even Duracell. I do have a transformer but this needs a trailing lead across the patio which I prefer to avoid in case any animals get a taste for rubber or PVC cable covering. So, I am in the process of installing an outside twin socket near the cam so I can use the transformer AND it will give me a convenient outlet for a leaf blower etc.
Mid day today I have my pre-assessment at the hospital in preparation for my right eye cataract procedure. Maybe they will give me an indication of how soon it can be done.
@Horus As you are on your travels again I hope you will find a hot spot and look in. Hope all is well. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As a PS to my last post. I had the appointment today and could have had the surgery at 8 am tomorrow. I am not a good early riser so have arranged it for Wednesday 2 August. That is exactly 3 weeks from my outpatients appointment. Good old NHS :up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We have a new baby. ;) No, not one of those, a new plant on the patio.
Our daughter in law has a lovely garden and promised us a banana plant when she had propagated one from a sucker on one of her other plants. She brought it round today and it adds a little more structure along the sunny fence side.

You may remember I showed you her garden
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Anybody out there? I have been very lonely since last Sunday. Hope ypu are all well folks and DO pop in for a chat ;) :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Hi, Grandad! We're all off gadding about but will probably be back at the weekend - see you then. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually I have been checking in and haven't seen any posts and have been outside staining the stairs, trying to find a screen door for the back sliding downstairs glass door (they're IMPOSSIBLE to find here) watching the granddaughter as the grandsons have been at a ROBOTICS LEGO camp this week.

You'd think a screen door that slides to fit a standard opening would be an easy thing to get but NOT here on the Island. The downstairs door doesn't have one as I rarely open it but when it is hot here the downstairs can get super stuffy with the door closed however opening the door means the entire BUG kingdom comes flying in. Slapping mosquitoes your immediate hobby. Finally found a place that will actually make me one (WHEW). Can finally get a screen across the opening. Have one upstairs but there never has been one downstairs. Another job off my list of eternal tasks to do. :) In 10 days (IF the sun rises in the east and still sets in the west) I'll have a door. Hope it doesn't get here "on Island time."

That banana plant looks lovely. That is a pretty Skookum plant. I think they get quite tall and are quite showy too.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am back again with lots to write about, but till laters as I am worn out ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Now that we are immobile geriatrics :lol: we depend on the goodwill of our family to let us join them if they are off anywhere. Lovely day yesterday so our son and his wife picked us up and first showed us their new pastime, an allotment. They have only had it for about a month but are already making progress to convert what was a waste high bed of weeds into something organised and productive. Long way to go but this is how it looks just now

We then continued to the beach hut at Minnis Bay near Margate for fish and chips for lunch. (This is my son and his wife whose garden I have posted before. My wife said don't you dare post a picture of me. :o )

A couple of hours enjoying the sun then back home.

An enjoyable afternoon but oh how we miss the car and the independent freedom that it gave us. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is now 426am and I am sitting inside the Ferry terminal wAiting to drive onto the 515am sailing. Today I need to get home coz the next set of Flooring installers are arriving at 9am to install the hardwood on the bedroom floor.

I was down in the USA for a dermatological skin check. Am very fair, green eyes, blonde blah blah blah...l have all the markers for high risk re: skin cancer. I saw a dermatologist in BC but they only look at you. They do not have the lights to show abnormal cells soon whilst the Dr at home said my skin looks fine the Dermatologist in the USA found 2 spots she wanted to immediately biopsy (except My US medical had authorized a check up only so now the paperwork to get permission for a biopsy x2). At least this time it is my shoulder and thigh vs my face.

Always makes me a bit nervous when I hear the words "we should do this Now"

Definitely will be sleeping early tonight
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

What is an allotment please? Not sure I'm understanding
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ LLL, an allotment is probably a uniquely British thing and it stems from the days when we had rows and rows of terraced houses. Many councils counteracted the lack of garden space by allocating council owned land to be used for growing fruit and vegetables, these become a vital source of food during the war years when Britain was being starved of imported food. The area was divided up into quite large sections known as ‘Allotments’ basically because they had been allotted to a person. They are now very desirable and many areas will have no availability and to get one it is usually “dead man’s shoes”. They are sometimes free or at a very cheap rental and often there are allotment associations that get formed to get stuff like seeds, plants and fertiliser at a discounted rate, there can be fierce rivalry between some allotment holders as to who can grow the best whatever. It is usual to erect yourself a ‘shed’ of some sort and/or a greenhouse that acts a bit like a ‘man cave’ and somewhere to take shelter in or have a cuppa and a chat with your mates.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ Grandad, that allotment looks good and should be worth the effort, as I have been telling LLL they are hard to come by in my area, maybe because it has always been a traditional thing to have as there are many keen gardeners. Have you checked if its on a bus route that would allow you to maybe travel there yourself and maybe do a bit of pottering about in the week to help out? As to Mrs G not wanting her photograph being shown, well all I can say is that we have seen her before and I am sure most on here will agree that she is still a very attractive and smartly dressed lady and certainly has nothing to be embarrassed about on that score. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your complimentary comments H. :up I mustn't say too many nice things about her or she will expect me to start to do some ironing and cleaning :lol:

My son and his wife are now towards mid fifties and I am so pleased that they are taking such a keen interest in the 'lottie'. Unfortunately (or fortunately ;) ) it is well up a country lane away from any bus route. We will be quite happy for them to take us occasionally as it develops. As they cleared the site they found lots of bits of decking timber and other stuff which they have used to create the beds. There is a small shed to which Karen has fitted gutters and a rainwater butt. There is a water supply on the site but the butt saves walking with cans.

Rental is £37 a year and they have spent virtually nothing so far so it should become an enjoyable and profitable hobby.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned A la Turka restaurant in the city before. It is a favourite of our daughter and her husband and as they both have birthdays this week (both 52) we took them there for dinner last evening, or perhaps I should say they took us as I am not driving, but you get my drift :lol:
I don't really rate Turkish food so we opted for a selection of meze dishes to share, washed down with an agreeable Turkish red for the girls and Efes beer for the boys.
It was all very enjoyable, the staff are really nice and efficient, and this is part of our table with the dishes partly consumed. :lol:
A tasty range of ingredients and flavours...
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Looks delicious! :) :) :) Glad you had a good evening out.

I don't think I've ever been to a Turkish Restaurant but it looks delicious :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yummy Yummy looks delicious :)