What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

OK and the quilt ;)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Give us a report when you get back :up
Mad Dilys wrote:Yum :eat Hope you have a lovely time. :up
We eat out quite a lot with family and friends but NEVER in the city centre. I didn't even know of Cote Brasserie but there is a chain of their restaurants through out the country. This is the link for the one in my city, it is right in the centre of town and we had a great lunch. They even gave us all a complimentary Kir Royale.
https://www.cote.co.uk/restaurant/details/canterbury

As a chain I am sure their standards will be consistent and if you have one nearby, why not give it a try?
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

But did you remember to record the Rugby? ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:But did you remember to record the Rugby? ;)
No! I was too miffed about yesterdays pathetic effort :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I didn't take the camera with me when I went downtown. Has been quite a while since I was down there and since the weather was really really nice I thought I'd go. I specifically left the camera home as our downtown is getting - ummm - it is FULL to overflowing with druggies and criminals. LOTS for our area and crime has been on the rise so I just don't feel too comfortable going down there with the camera as it would be too easy a snatch and grab. Matter of fact I also took my rings off.

It is really a sad commentary about here that our downtown is getting more and more ridiculous. The drugstores are handing out that Narcan stuff as there are so many overdoses (Vancouver has had 33 deaths from OD in January alone). Anything that is not nailed down is swiped. Very sad situation.

The local Shelter that houses Homeless women (they can fit about 30 a night) turned away 111 this past month (February).

Anyway the walk was nice. Lots of people out walking as the day was lovely and I did spot one great big otter swimming about the marina. Not too many people crabbing off the docks but a few.

Leaving tomorrow for two days to the USA as I have to turn some paperwork in related to my pension(s) there so am turning it into a shopping trip too. Will get the Keyboard for the Kindle :) Can't wait (I copied the one Grandad has as I finally FOUND it on the Amazon site)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Grandad wrote:
Mad Dilys wrote:But did you remember to record the Rugby? ;)
No! I was too miffed about yesterdays pathetic effort :(
Yesterday's match was the first time I remember being bored watching rugby. I left the room before the end I was so bored.

This morning I saw the last half of a woman's match. Much more exciting,lots of speed and less wrestling and grunting. Really quite impressed.

See if you can find today's Wales v Italy game, maybe on Netflix, good match. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I shall be trying to pot all the excessive number of begonias I seem to have acquired.

Then restoring the kitchen from a temporary potting shed. :oops:

Won't be the first time and I doubt the last. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Popping round to a caravan breakers yard to see if I can pick up something I need, then as I will be close by I may take Annie for a walk around an old industrial area that was reclaimed and landscaped as it has some interesting walks, the only problem is that it is fairly high up and exposed and the weather is not that warm today.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm home unpacking, detagging (I always leave all the tags on to cross the Border) and right now eating lunch.

Sun is coming out although it rained hard last night.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I thought today’s walk turned out to be very chilly, the place I was visiting was closed until tomorrow so we set of a little earlier on our walk. We have not been there since last year and I was hoping it would not be as wet and boggy on the paths because it is set amongst some rolling hills and valleys, so not a lot of flat areas. When we set off I had intended to go in a clockwise direction around the perimeter path, but it was apparent that the Easterly wind was blowing across from our left and it was icy cold so no doubt we will get a return of 'The beast from the East' and more snow by the weekend. It was so uncomfortable that I turned around so that we could go down into the valley instead and hopefully have some shelter from the wind, at least coming back this stretch would be with the wind in our faces and not cutting across us from the side.

The park itself was as I suspected pretty bleak looking with little of interest amongst the bare trees and open spaces along the paths.

Few things caught my interest apart from this twisted old tree set amongst the emerging Bluebells.

The small ponds were bereft of any plant life although the ranger told me that there were plenty of frogs arriving at them ready to breed. This area has lots of small ponds and is a haven for all sorts of amphibians including several varieties of Newts.

There are some early signs of the Bluebells pushing through and a few buds on some trees, there were also Catkins and some early Gorse bushes with their bright yellow flowers. Best of all was to see the Hawthorn bushes starting to have leaves on them, a true sign that Spring is on it’s way even though it still feels like the depth of Winter. I even found a small early patch of woodland Primroses tucked away in the grass, in about two weeks there should be lots more.
8970[8972

We even had a visit from a cheeky little Robin who enjoyed one of Annie’s dog biscuits crushed up on a log, a few Great Tits tried to muscle in on his prize, but he stood his ground.

Heading back home towards the tree line it was wide open with the wind in our faces and it was freezing cold, poor Annies ears were flattened against her head.

The paths were not so bad, but as usual Annie was soon scummed up so would require another half bath when we got back home. I am particularly paranoid at the moment as the UK has had quite a few cases of Alabama Foot Rot which seems to be fatal in most cases with the dogs dying within days from kidney failure. It starts with just a small leision on the dogs leg that gets larger very quickly, but usually by that point it is too late to save the dog. The vets currently have no cure or vaccination available and the best informations seems to be that it is contracted from cold muddy conditions where it can be found in infected areas. For this reason I try to avoid well used and muddy areas and always wash Annie’s legs right up to her belly on our return in warm water with shampoo and disinfectant in it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - I have never heard of Alabama Foot Rot but what a scary disease for a dog to contract. Not good at all particularly if there is no cure.

Your walk did look bleak but I found the primroses interesting. Right now all our stores are full to overflowing with them in all colours. They sell $1.25 to $1.50 so quite cheap. They sell like crazy for the colour but very very very few, if any, ever last a season. I tried to get them to grow and take but they always died out. I put it down to them being highly hybridized so it was interesting for me to see that you've got a photo of one growing in the wild with more to come as the season develops for them.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus, thank you for doing my spring walk for me. I have some big mobility problems at the moment and such a walk is a wonderful dream. I used to love walking at this time of year, cold or not it's very special. I was especially moved by the bursting buds. much appreciated.

When I used to take my dog for a walk in very early morning before going to work, I walked along an ancient lane cut into the fields by hundreds of years of passing feet. I always said that if in my after life I did nothing but walk this lane, all day and every day of the year and in all weathers then I would have no complaint as it was full of life.

Primroses especially grew in abundance on the steep banks and made the start to my day really special.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

This morning the electrician is coming, hopefully to restore power to my cooker, but more importantly to check the safety of all the electrical installations.

I have 19, yes nineteen power points in my kitchen. Including four which are in a corner cupboard with a fancy fixing that pulls out all the shelving and prevents access to the said power points.

The only power point in my bedroom is in the wardrobe and we only discovered the switches to the two immersion heaters in the loft when I had lived here for over a year. My daughter who owns the house thought, as I did that the combi boiler heated all the water and had no idea that there were any immersion heaters in the house, let alone working. The switches for them are in the consumer unit cupboard just marked TOP and BOTTOM.

I find it all quite worrying, so I'm looking forward to my morning visitor. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus Your walk really did look bleak, roll on the easter/summer months to see all the bluebells etc etc :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Appointment at the docs in an hour. I shall ask him to give me a cortisone injection in my right shoulder. I have a damaged ligament and a few years ago a consultant doubted that he could repair it and advised cortisone injection as and when required. They keep the pain under control for at least a year but as I am now getting pain at night it is time for another jab.
He doesn't know yet but I shall also ask him to put his digit where the sun don't shine just to check the old prostate. That's what we pay them for.....isn't it? ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Pottery morning for me ...... maybe. Haven't had a phone call saying it is cancelled so will wander on down to see what is happening (or not) there.

I think I'll also call the daughter and volunteer to pick up the twins from school. She was here yesterday looking very white in the face and said she'd been running a slight fever from the previous two days.

This Saturday is the social event of the season (Granddaughter's 5th Birthday) and then she and the husband are going away for two nights :o :o which will be their first solo holiday without the kids in 8 years! The crew are going to stay with the other Grandparents. Hopefully it isn't her luck to be sick and have to cancel their trip. The husband's work is terrible in that he works extremely long hours with one weekend a month being on call so they're both looking to getting away for a time.

Other than that it is kinda blah here outside today. No sun but no rain either.

@MD - Hope your electrician finds all that needs to be found and can set it all right. Having that many electrical outlets in one part of the house isn't kosher and being it was the kitchen area almost makes me think a previous tenant was either doing some sort of commercial baking/cooking or the dread "grow op" could have been planned :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Went shopping this morning and noticed one of my wiper blades was torn on the thin bit that cleans the water away, so drove to my nearest Halfords (LLL, they are a UK car accessory chain) and bought a new set £40 :sd good start to the day. :|
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, almost the first thing the chap said this morning was "I advise you to ask at least one other company for an inspection. I shall prepare a 7 page report on what I find after I have finished my test and will submit it by email for comparison."

He refused any refreshment, answered any question I asked very clearly and after about 4 hours I had a rundown on all of his findings. He was very professional and comes recommended by Care and Repair, a government funded help organisation. He is well considered on internet references for what they are worth.

The good news is that all of the plugs I suspected downstairs were ok but all the plugs upstairs were unsafe.

The small lights in the ceiling of the bathroom and kitchen have no smoke hoods and need replacing - and he sujected replacing all lights with LED lights on a safety and economy basis.

He said the combi boiler we have was a very good make, but far too small for the size of house.

He made a lot of other suggestions which make economic sense to me.

Should we decide to use his company he will certify all work carried out as a matter of course.

Oh, and it looks like my oven is a gonner too. He suggested if I replaced it, consider what was really wanted, a pretty basic appliance or one with bells and whistles as there is a huge difference in price. He suggested I should do some research bedfore purchasing a new cone anyway and did not attempt to sell me one, just kept to his inspection.

PS He did some emergency fixing in my cupboard for the consumer unit after showing me the problems, like a mending the earth wire and sorting out a few with bare wire showing. :sd
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds like a reliable person, :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Your repair guys sounds like a good guy so if it was me and if I was going to be doing updates or renovations I'd be seriously considering him.

As far as appliances go if it was me I'd get a new one but basically basic. I wouldn't necessarily get the most bottom line but some appliances now come with so many bells and whistles you need a specialized college degree to use 'em. My cooking is pretty basic - I don't cook 'bells & whistles' style.

As for me - went to pottery today to a big letter on the front door to the complex notifying the studio will be closing March 29th 'til further notice :( Not happy about it, lots of discussion between all of us with two other ladies volunteering to do the firing as they had operated kilns way in the past but ??? Not too sure what the decisions are going to be.