What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Me too. I don't think that most Westerners would accept just being given a food item like vegetables without inspecting it first, its a cultural thing. ;)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Definitely a cultural thing with me to pick up and look at whatever fruit or vegetable I'm buying BUT I grew up in the days of backyard home gardens and field run fruit and veggies. You had to pick up each piece and look at it cause you never knew if you were getting the face of Winston Churchill on the butt side of a tomato or apple or not. All fruit & vegetables when I was a kid were not created equal which was quite unlike the genetically engineered cr*p flavourless stuff we're getting nowadays in the stores.

I kinda wonder if my grandkids will ever really know that all tomatoes are NOT exactly 4 ounces each, perfectly symmetrically round with a sticker attached?

What I'm getting at is in the next few years to a decade how many of us will really remember what home grown food looked and tasted like? WHICH is a boon to the sellers cause they can then flog off basically anything to us (the public) via simply handing it over the shelf?

Guess I'm also just not happy with what all is being done to our food source(s) these days.....genetics!! Can be the best thing since sliced bread but ? Will it also be our downfall as we manipulate to make (ahem) better?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On another note what I'm NOT doing today is sleeping! UGH! Been awake since 3am tossing and turning so figured around 5am I might as well get up. Sometimes when I do and have a hot cuppa I get sleepy again and head back to bed. Doubt that is going to be this morning cause it is now just after 6:05am here.......probably make coffee and start the day.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, when I saw the timing of your first post I thought it must be before 6 am in BC, what is wrong with that lady up so early. Your second post explained. Not getting excited about Christmas already, are you? :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - no not getting excited about Christmas yet unless that is a viral condition I've caught from the Grandkids.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Nothing planned for today so I shall be doing very little.
Lights out fairly late last night after watching some of the 'BBC Children in Need' programme that went on until 3 am. Funds raised so far is in excess of £50 million and more will come in over the coming days. Brilliant and when you see some of the good causes supported by CiN, who cannot make even a small donation.
They always have many heart wrenching stories of kids who have been dealt a bad hand in life but are usually inspirational in the way they face up to their situation. For many their story concludes with them dieing young :(

Somebody who deserves proper recognition for his efforts IMO is Countryfile and One Show presenter Matt Baker. Each year him and six children with disabilities take a rickshaw on The Rickshaw Challenge across the UK. This year the did the 500 miles from London to Glasgow, the kids take turns to peddle the rickshaw and Matt rides along on his bike giving a push or pull as required. In the seven days of this event the raised just over £5 million. Matt Baker is superb with the kids and deserves at least an MBE for services to charity.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I have nothing planned but that doesn't mean I'll do nothing. Still just in 'thinking' mode ;) and thinking I need to figure out how to get the plain brown wood knob off the little table I got at the dump and put the new crystal knob onto it. Hopefully that will make it look a bit fancier.

Weather is good right now but rain is on the forecast so not too sure IF I want to venture out too far
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just checking on the weather for Sunday as I am planning upon meeting up with my son and his two dogs so that Annie can have a walk with her two other cousins Mikey and Jasmin, weather does not look too great though 20% chance of rain. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

On another thread Horus is slightly annoyed about a delivery from Amazon.

I have had the opposite experience with Amazon.
20 November, ordered an item, told new stock available 25 November, free delivery would be 5 to 7 days
22 November Got an email this morning, item with courier and Out for Delivery. Received item at 10.30 am :? :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I added later my switches have just arrived :up I generally have no problem with deliveries, I have had stuff I ordered at 9pm the previous evening arrive before noon the next day. :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I was up and over for a cuppa with the daughter for a couple hours while we talked about life then I went to a talk given by an artist on "Block Printing." It is a 2 part deal where today we get hear all about the history, see her work and learn about how to do it then go back in 2 weeks to make a 4" x 6" block print of my own design. I have 2 weeks to come up with a design that I get to carve out then ink up and transfer it onto canvas, rice paper and/or 2 other mediums whose name I've already forgotten.

This particular artist is an "Artist in Residence" for 1 yr at one of our oldest Churches who have invited her to do block printing of the stained glass windows and interior of the church. Being one of the oldest around they've just complete renovations (or restorations - not sure) and they're wanting further art now of the place.

Part of her presentation, other than her own art, was a slide show of this particular art form from around the world and she even included our own Inuit from Cape Dorset who, after the white man gave them tools, developed their own style of block or lino print to reflect their own unique art work. Was an interesting TEA-ful day!

Was an interesting enough afternoon.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Funny you should mention stained glass, LLL. I've just finished four wall hangings in a stained glass effect, which were so popular at my club that I've been requested to run a workshop day next year. My hangings were taken from patterns and a book that have been kicking around my house for a few years, but because of the copyright issue, I now have to design a couple for use at the workshop. I have found two fairly simple designs in glass which I will attempt to transpose into fabric. Quite a lot of work involved, because the participating members also want to learn how to make their own 6mm bias binding too. To buy it readymade here in the UK is prohibitivly expensive so I make my own. It seems to be the case that if you stick a 'hobby' label on anything, the price soars! They have also put me down for a workshop on Bargello! :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Shopping day again, they come around so quickly. Taxi to Sainsburys and then another back home. The drivers are really good and help with loading and unloading the bags. And I don't object to a tip for their service.

And if I see Amaryllis on sale at the supermarket I shall walk straight past. The other two are about to be binned. :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well you two ladies are certainly very arty, RS being asked to give a lecture/demonstration is certainly an honour and shows how highly she is held by her peers. LLL mentioned Block or Lino cuts something I have never done since school days, but I used to love doing them and inking the lino with the roller and pressing the picture, very satisfying. Why not combine both of your themes LLL and do yours as a Stained Glass window?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

One of these days (when I get my laptop out!) I will post a few pictures.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Rye: What are you doing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I cannot find a radiator bleed key anywhere in this house or garden shed. :x The front bedroom which is huge is also draining heat from the rest of the house as the radiator is full of air. (I have tried various pliers without success)

However, it just so happens that the Big Tesco carry that kind of thing and are right next to Wicks which definitely will have them.

I have to go out any way to pick up a prescription and may extend the trip ................. of course I'm not tempted by the bulbs for sale in Tesco, though I might get some Iris Reticulata which are my favourite spring flower.

Oh! They sell Amaryllis too - silly me. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Be careful using anything other than a radiator key, those valves are tricky little devils.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I know Horus, I've watched Bodgers for many years. I might try to see if things fit, but never ever force anything - a recipe for life in general I think! ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Main event for today.......the final F1 race of the season in Abu Dhabi

@Kiya Will Roy be able to watch, wherever he is Kiya?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Doing a bit of housework as the weather is not conducive with going out for a walk. Trying to Hoover around with a small creature constantly attacking the cleaner and trying to bite it, why do dogs do that :ni: