What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I sympathise Grandad before I had my cataracts done I was buying 3 sets of glasses a year - distance Reactolite, distance Sunglasses and a pair for close work. Of course it was a pair and a spare too! Mind you, I had more money then, but it was still a significant amount.

I feel so sorry for the poor people in Egypt who can't afford to have their cataracts removed. It's a big problem as they become dependent when they could be self sufficient. :(

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I hardly ever wear my glasses anymore since both my eyes were done, I can see perfectly well close up and don't even need them for driving, but now and then I put them on if watching a film on TV to sharpen things up a little..
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - IF they removed the cataract from your good eye would that improve your vision sufficient to allow you to drive? AND - geez - you've got the MINIMUM to drive.......I'd still be keeping the drivers licence but otherwise - ???Hmmm - real dilemma.

The youngest twin has just acquired glasses for reading. Two sets. One to leave at school and another to have at home for his reading there. They're green but also his 'style' so he is quite ok wearing them and they've definitely stopped the headaches he was experiencing.

I now definitely must have my glasses on to be able to read. I just don't SEE the small print up close and my arms are not long enough to hold the reading material out far enough to be able to see it.

Today I'm going this afternoon to the second lecture on Block Printing where I get to actually use the material and make a print. I've decided on carving out a whales tale in water - easy peasy :)

Tonight I'm going to a Christmas Carol sing at the oldest church in this area - 125 yrs old. I've never been inside it before but LOTS of musical productions happen there as apparently the acoustics are phenomenal. I enjoy singing, actually know the words to most of the old carols and LOVE IT that I'm in a CROWD (hopefully) so nobody can really hear me singing! ;) ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Grandad - IF they removed the cataract from your good eye would that improve your vision sufficient to allow you to drive? AND - geez - you've got the MINIMUM to drive.......I'd still be keeping the drivers licence but otherwise - ???Hmmm - real dilemma
LLL, I have two years before I have to reapply for my license so I shall just keep it and see how things progress, or not as the case may be, over those two years.

Helena, the doc, we are even on first name terms and always have a joke said, removal of the cataract would not improve my central vision in that eye because I have the onset of dry AMD. She said with only one 'good' eye it is not worth the risk, however small, of having the surgery at this stage.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - sounds reasonable to me re: your Doc Helena's plan particularly if removing the cataract isn't going to provide improvement to the central vision.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I bit the bullet today and went out again! After deciding I would go mail order yesterday, I changed my mind - again! :lol: When I looked at the site yesterday, I was unable to order because one was required to register etc. and I'm fed up with being bombarded with superfluous email from different companies informing me of this offer and that sale etc. :( So out I went again today and got the last of the Xmas prezzies! Hurray! Done and dusted. I have even been into the kitchen and made a bacon pudding for dinner. Now, howzat for being a busy little bee? :D Looking forward to a peaceful afternoon - unless one of my brothers turns up, or the phone rings. :urm:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Is that an invitation? :snig:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Went shopping as usual today and it was a mad house :evil: packed with morons who had seen the weather forcast for snow :roll: and panicked, god knows what it will be like the week before Christmas :ni:
Anyway I was hoping it would snow then I could try out my new 4x4 wheel drive ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I know what bacon is and I know what pudding is but what is "Bacon Pudding?" Honestly I've never heard of it.

Today I was at the pottery studio. Bit of a mad house as 3 of the 5 kilns are down (waiting for parts) and everybody is coming in to see if what they made is ready to take home for Christmas. Was then over to a stationary store cause I'm figuring the printer needs more toner BUT at the price it is here I'll wait 'til next trip to the USA. Then over to get groceries and PERSIMMONS were in! I adore them and also found a case of mega jumbo sized pomegranates! Got home finally at 6pm - was a long one from early morning.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, bacon pudding is literally just a suet pastry rolled out; lined with bacon, onions and a stock cube; rolled up like a Swiss roll, and then cooked. Cooking wise you can wrap it in a cloth or foil, and then steam or boil it for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. What's a persimmon and how do you eat it? :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Persimmons, also known as Sharon fruit in the UK look a bit like tomatoes. I think they are a Marmite fruit - you love them or hate them. I just love them, they are my very favourite fruit but had no success with growing them in my garden in Luxor. :(

If they aren't squeedgy and soft when you eat them your mouth will feel like it's full of fluff ugh! However if they ripen until the thin skin is threatening to split they are divine! Also one of the richest sources of vitamin C.

I am told that if bought in a hard state and put in the deep freeze for a week or two the nastiness is gone when defrosted but haven't tried it.

PS how do you eat it - for me over a sink as they are very juicy and slippery. I suppose with spoon if you are more refined and don't enjoy sucking juicy fruit out of the skin.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would say that the best way of eating them is the same as eating a ripe mango ............ in the bath :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

In Luxor I was the only one in the family who liked them. I managed to get through a tray a week without any trouble. Delicious.

I have found in the UK if bought when hard they are inclined to turn black and rot before softening up. :sk
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Aaaaah! Now I know! I bought a couple of Sharon fruit years ago but I must have tried to eat them before they were ripe because they did taste like a load of fluff! Thanks for the eating info MD! Maybe I will try them again one day, but ripe this time! :lol: :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A few weeks ago I bought a twin 5 ft fluorescent light fitting to install quite low over my bench in my workshop. At last I got round to it today. With only one eye I was finding it difficult to do any work on the bench with just overhead lighting. This light is going to help but I still have great difficulty with no 3D so marking out a workpiece is almost impossible, but now a little easier.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Every little helps Grandad, have you thought of getting one of those magnifying desk lamps, I have one in my garage for close up work. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Persimmon is large and bright orange. There are a couple of varieties so some are squat and flat while others are more like large Roma tomatoes.

I quite love the taste and eat them when hard sliced & cubed. Can't say I've ever eaten a bad one and there is virtually no waste at all (unlike an orange where if buying by the pound you're also paying for skin). They are truly wonderful.

Today I'm not sure what I'll be up to other than meeting up with a gf at 1pm over a coffee. Really foggy and very cold so am sure the roads will be covered in spots with thin patches of ice.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As its a Friday night I will force myself to go up the pub for a couple of pints and along with my mates we will put the world to rights :up
Annie usually comes along to see all her friends and to see what treats they have brought her ;)
It has been trying to snow all day but so far only a light covering, I shall put my walking boots on though when I go out as the pavements will probably be a bit slippery for walking in shoes. :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm having a TV marathon, catching up on all the recordings I haven't seen yet. My daughter is coming tomorrow and I'll get the new TVO box fitted. Obviously I will lose any recordings on the old one, but I've made a short list and can find them on the new device.

Frankly it's much easier to get her to do it than grovel around the back of the television myself. :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great idea MD :up make the young uns pay us oldies back a bit ;)
Just got back from the pub and the pavements were lethal, glad to be back in the house again. :o