What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

The boiler will be in the region of £800 to £900 inclusive of VAT, but the fitting will be based on how much work he has to do and we all know that plumbers are not cheap. Removing the old one is simple enough and fitting the new one should not take more than a days work. The problem may come with how much other work he needs to do to integrate it into your existing set-up, does he have to remove old copper cylinders and water tanks in the loft or re-route much pipework within the house? Does he have to purchase and install a new flue through the roof or maybe route it out through a wall? I would think he has just thrown his cap at the job and said £2000 Mrs, he would probably have the job sewn up inside of 2 days, my guess would have been around £1600 for a straight forward job.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

£1500 fair enough. As he said when he first looked at the job, it's take one out and put one in - just that. No extra Faffing. He is familiar with this boiler as he has been called out to it several times for repair over the last couple of years.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If its straight forward then £1500 is about right.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have a stack of clean washing to put away to prove that my day hasn't been totally unproductive, but I got up at 5.30am with a pain across my chest. Despite indigestion remedies, it didn't shift for some hours, and has left me feeling out of sorts and as if my body doesn't belong to me. Hopefully tomorrow will be better but has anyone else had days like that? :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Obviously RS we all get aches and pains and just so long as none of them persist they usually go away again, but it is never good to ignore something like chest pains that persist, or in women especially that seem to eminate in the shoulder and neck areas, no cause for alarm but better to get a quick check up just to see that everything is OK should that happen. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I second that any ache and pain in the chest or neck should be checked out. A quick trip to the doctor's office is best course of action to rule out anything serious.

Today I had a quick drive out to the Airport this morning doing a drop off. I came back figuring I'd stop at a restaurant called "Country Kitchen" for brekkie at 8am only to find it didn't open 'til 11am Monday to Thursday. Came into town and went for a coffee & toast then cruised the one Thrift shop hoping to find an orchid pot but no cigar just a thrift shop full of all sorts of Christmas decorations and stuff'd toys.

Came home, daughter stopped for a quick cuppa with the granddaughter she just picked up from pre-school and we chatted for an hour 'til she had to leave to get the twins.

Now I'm getting ready for the Garden Club Christmas Dinner tonight. It'll be TWO dinings out today but I'm determined not to cook (although I did eat the rest of the papaya I had in the fridge as it was getting close to being on its last legs). Most of the Christmas dinner is also awarding all the prizes for all the seasons category winners I.e. BEST ROSE, BEST apples, Best Onion etc. Am sure if Grandad was here he'd be scarfin' up the prize for BEST Amaryllis too!

Last year the Garden Club Christmas dinner was at a local church hall and catered to by the Women's Auxillary. My table was called last and I didn't get more than a sliver (and I do mean SLIVER) of turkey, and very picked over veggies. Was nice chatting with the others at my table but the ladies didn't cook nearly sufficient. This year we're all meeting at a local Restaurant so am figuring on getting a meal :) AND this particular restaurant I go to for breakfasts which have always been super good. The chef offers excellent 'down home cooking' - it is plainish type food but always super good. Looking forward to the evening and singing a few carols too.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ruby, I think I know what advice you would give if someone asked you the same question. ;) I know what a trial it is in your area getting medical attention, but really you should get it checked out - at the very least ring the NHS help line. Maybe we have had similar symptoms with a completely different cause. :tk

I hope you are feeling better now, but please don't let it drop. :a54:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Ruby Slippers Take the advice of the others RS. It is more than likely a bit of anxiety or stress which would be understandable with Christmas upcoming. I always get the same felling a day or so before a holiday subconsciously worrying that I have not forgotten anything.
But see your doc and they may do an ECG just to check you out. Take care.
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks to you all for your concern. I appreciate it muchly. However, there would be no chance of a doctors appointment this side of Christmas. This morning I woke up full of energy and raring to go! :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks for the update Ruby, but take care anyway. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Thanks to you all for your concern. I appreciate it muchly. However, there would be no chance of a doctors appointment this side of Christmas. This morning I woke up full of energy and raring to go! :)
Thats good :up but please don't dismiss it should it happen again, especially if accompanied by the 'spaced out' feeling. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Pottery studio today AND am on the run so more later :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've trimmed my Kalanchoe that I brought in from the garden a couple of weeks or so ago. Believe it or not most still had some flowers and the other two are in bud!

I jettisoned the slug and snail nursery in each pot and cleaned them up.

When I bought them they held their flowers above a rosette of thick fleshy leaves - which of course the slugs and snails ate. They are still in the small pots and haven't filled them with roots so I haven't re-potted them.

What value! £1.50 each for months of cheerful flowers, they have a permanent place in my life in future.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have the same problem with slugs getting in pots and also under the rims, horrible little bleeders :td
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Last night I went to the Horticultural Society aka Garden Club Christmas dinner. Was nice and chatted with everybody to POLKA music (OMG - WHERE did they find that old guy who played polka!!) and then ate a grilled breast of chicken (UGH - breaded and deep fried but definitely NOT grilled) along with 5 Brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy (not good, not good, not good). The salad came out and I swear somebody in the kitchen cut everybody a block of lettuce, then grated a bit of carrot and purple cabbage and served them out.

Guess I'm complaining but last year I was at the last table served and got next to nothing and this year I sat in the middle and probably had the worst meal of the year! Geez it was not good....... :( And I was hungry too.

HOWEVER the highlight of the evening came when I won the door prize! A lovely potted poinsettia in with a dracena, fern, ficus and another plant that I've not seen before PLUS a $25 gift certificate to a local nursery I've never heard of but will definitely go to and might be coming home with orchid fertilizer and possibly another orchid (or something!)

The door prize:

I don't know what the variegated round leaf little plant is

This one shows the ficus and the fern (rather a sharply pointed leaf fern - don't know what kind it is either)

Will leave this lot together 'til after Christmas and then I think I'll divide them up. The dracaenas are pretty hardy and this one has virtually no stem. It is fully planted. The ficus will be temperamental but if I can get it in its own pot in a spot it likes it might make it (looks like a variegated weeping type). The fern may or may not make it when I'm gone on holidays (if it dries out it'll go and whilst the daughter is an excellent house sitter she is abysmal at watering plants. She practices Grandads mantra - she does not have green thumbs although mostly it is not a memory to water plants) and the little one I'll have to research as I don't know what it is.

As for the Poinsettias it will join all the other great Poinsettias in the sky. They're not a favourite to keep long term as they just don't like it here. I don't think it is really nearly warm enough for them, they've probably been force so are weakened anyway nor do I think we get enough properly balanced daylight & night.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Congratulations! My memory is going, makes me mad every day where I forget words! :x

Your small variegated plant looks so familiar, I can see it in my minds eye growing in garden centre, there are two very similar, but does it have rather soft leaves or firm like the Ficus?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well done LLL you have some lovely plants there and with a gift voucher you are really doing well.
Like MD I am racking my brains on the name for the small variegated leafed plant which I am sure is a shrub and it can grow quite large if left untended. I have three of them with one having a darker shade of green on the leaf than the other two. They will also climb up any surface they are close to such as concrete posts or wooden panels and attach themselves in the same way as Ivy does. If in the open they develop into a round bush that can be easily cut and shaped with shears and they are an Evergreen, just wish I could remember the darn name. :x
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Got it! Euonymus
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:tk Hmm could be as there are so many different kinds and if it is a hard leaf I think you are right.

I'm trying hard to remember a soft leaved one used in baskets - I shall have to visit Mr Google. :oops:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Regarding the Mystery plant I was thinking of Plectranthus madascariensis.But I think the leaf edges are too jagged.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plect ... ds&ie=&oe=

I wonder if it's one of my favourites Vinca minor?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Vi ... ORM=IRIBQP

I think Aptenia cordifolia is too small, lovely though it is and very underrated - my daughter has it in tubs and troughs in Luxor they call it Sabbah el Khier or Good morning as it open it's little red flowers in the morning and closes them at night.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=apten ... WRRccW7qLM:

There is a variegated liquorice plant Helichrysum petiolare which isn't as grey as the other creeping helichrysums, but too small I think.

So after all that I think if it has hard leaves and a strong stem you are right Horus and it's likely to be Euonymus fortune variegata - and if that weird plant senses a wall anywhere near it will head for it and groooooow very quickly in that direction and forget about being a low grower. All the Euonymus I've know have had that tendency, but good tough garden plants that thrive on neglect.

If the stem is fairly thin then I'd opt for Vinca minor.

In summary I was trying to think of Plectranthus and am happy to be reminded of the great plant for a basket - just the wrong one in this case. :oops:

I enjoyed the research though! :up