What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Most problems are caused by internet providers, I use BT and although BT are excellent in many ways they do have a few problems with compatability at times.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have just had a happy half hour looking at illustrations of the skeleton of the Elephant. Absolutely fascinating.

I chanced to see a picture of a group of Elephants and noticed how high and rounded their hindquarters were and thought "they must have huge quantities of vegetation suspended under their spine. That has to be firmly attached, presumably to long spinal processes that keep the bottom body line high enough for the legs to provide locomotion." So I looked it up and checked out the whole skeleton.

I am amazed at Nature yet again. The bones are basically the same as our own, just adapted differently. The pressure on their hip joints, "fingers" and "toes" is most beautifully accommodated. Of course I knew Elephants had nails on their feet, but hadn't thought of them having digits.

When I draw animals, usually domestic ones, I start with the skeleton. Only tried to draw an elephant a couple of times, but it wasn't quite right. Now I know why. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This morning I've been sketching out on paper what I intend to use when I go to the second half of the block printing lecture/discussion class on Wednesday. Went 2 weeks ago to a lecture re: block printing by a local "Artist in Residence" which was interesting. We all go back again this Wednesday for a hands on session in making our own block print on a 4" x 5" something (I've forgotten the name of the material) that I'm going to get to carve out so I can then have my finished picture rolled with ink and pressed onto a paper. We all have to have our SIMPLE picture prepared and sketched on paper so it can be transferred to the medium (like lino).

This is essentially deciding on a black and white. I've decided on having a whale tail coming out of water. I can easily carve out the contrast of waves and leave a big black whale tail. I might put it all inside a circle representing the world and could add a N S E W if there is room but 4" x 5" isn't a big area to be working with. Just enough to give everybody at the lecture portion a taste of what it is like to work in this medium.

Not much else on the agenda for today. Quite cold outside so am now on my second cup of coffee watching morning TV News and thinking what else I might want to do.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

#2 son is coming in to take us to a few 'sheds'. I need to go to B & Q to get some chain and fixings. As I have difficulty seeing small things I bought a new twin tube fluorescent fitting on ebay which I intend to hang fairly low over my workbench. Just need to get some fittings.

While I am there I will see if they have any fully grown Amaryllis, whoops! shouldn't have said that, the plan was to surprise you all with my new plantsman skill. :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've had an unscheduled clear-out of my store cupboard and feel better for that. The packet of sage falling into my coffee started it off. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You know MD :tk I think I need to do the same as mine are getting a bit overcrowded. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - producing a new flowering amaryllis could be construed as cheating! ;) ;)

Yesterday when I was at the local grocery store they had a whole bunch outside their entrance that were a day or two from flowering. They also had a whole bunch still in boxes ($12CDN) that hadn't started to bud out yet at all.

Just brought in all the Christmas ornament bins in prep for the tree being decorated this afternoon today.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Grandad - producing a new flowering amaryllis could be construed as cheating! ;) ;)
CHEATING?..........MOI?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:D :lol: :lol: Love it!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Today, I braved Bluewater (how I HATE that place!) for another two Christmas presents, so just one more to get now, which I hope to get tomorrow afternoon. Then it will just be the Christmas food to buy. We already have a turkey crown in the freezer and have an order in at the butchers, which will be collected tomorrow morning by DH. I need to get some pastry made up to freeze too. I don't think I will be making my own ham this year though. I've always done it in the past but it's cheaper and easier to buy a ham joint from the supermarket and slice it ourselves.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

You are just trying to make me jealous- I know you and your naughty ways.

I Love Bluewater! I didn't really appreciate until I lost touch with it. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I just can’t get into any sort of Christmas mood, its cold and miserable outside. :( I am certainly not going to traipse around shops looking for prezzies and I cannot even make up my mind if I want to even buy a Turkey or not. I stopped buying a full size one some years back and much prefer the Turkey Crown as there is hardly any waste and there is just enough meat before I get tired of eating it. I will just chuck some money at family and tell them to get what they would like themselves, at least that way they get something they would like. I shall try to avoid the Christmas shopping mad-house and probably get as much stuff as I can in advance, the way some people shop you would not think that the shops were only closed for two days. :urm:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have thrown money at the adults in the past, Horus, but they don't like it really, so I've put myself out this year and asked them for a list each. One of my sons has money but he's difficult to buy for anyway. I certainly can't and wouldn't give my grandchildren money - it doesn't mean anything to them yet - but it is a huge pain, I agree! :td
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I knew that my daughter and son in law were thinking of buying a new TV so I chipped in some money towards that between them. I always give my son some money to share out between himself his wife and my two grand kids. As one is a boy and the other a girl, both early teens it is a nightmare, so problem sorted. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We don't do big Christmas presents because we are very fortunate not to be in need. I have bought 3 quirky items for my nearest and dearest for a total of under £50 each.

My Grandfather always sent me a generous postal order at the send of the first week of December. He knew I used it to buy presents and not for myself and that made him happy.

I would like a charity donation - I have had them before and it makes me feel better, and that's the point of giving isn't it? :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am heading out this morning to the hair dresser for a cut. My hair is down around my shoulder blades now so am getting it whacked off to just above my shoulders. I make it religiously to the hair dresser once a year whether I need it or not! :) I like my hair long so I can wear a pony tail or twist it into a bun or leave it down long. I used to have hair right down to my bum but gave that up once I had the daughters.

As for presents - I tend to pick up stuff all year as I see it especially for the grandkids particularly when I'm down in the States because trying to find something here can be impossible. I think online purchasing is really quite popular here because the stores never bring in much of anything and most of our stores continually tout empty shelves. Quite depressing to be walking up and down the aisles and always seeing lots of empty spots.

I do give the oldest daughter $$ and a couple of gift cards for coffee as they do go out for coffee lots but I'd rather they buy something for themselves with the shipping charges than me having to spend a small fortune on shipping.

The daughter and family here get presents. The grandkids would not like money as their excitement is sky high over seeing everything wrapped and under the tree but what I do buy for the daughter and s-i-l here comes with paper receipts and always a "if you don't like it return it and get whatever you'd prefer' caveats. My daughter is very easy to buy for an likes everything however the s-i-l can be somewhat picky in that he does this "this brand" or "that label" and "only that one will do" but he is also quite comfortable with returns and/or also a gift card for coffee as he stops during his work day for a cuppa.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Interesting MD that you use the phrase “because we are not in need” is anyone really in need when it comes to receiving a present? I am sure that my grand kids have just about everything they need and so does my son and daughter, but that does not stop them from desiring something they may like but feel they could not justify buying it themselves. Recently my daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas “Oh nothing too fancy, don’t go wasting your money there is nothing much I need” I said. Well after a lot of badgering I said “I know, get me a cheap DVD player, nothing fancy, not Blu-ray or anything, something basic as I will not use it that often”.

I did fancy a trail camera like Grandad’s and had considered asking the kids to chip in between them for one as a combined present, but thought better of it. Some time later my daughter said that she had been up town and bought my present. “I hope you haven’t spent more than £20 on one” I said as I have DVD players on all of my TV’s apart from my new Smart TV in the living room. I didn’t really need one but it could be handy for maybe showing some of my own DVD compilations I have made of Egypt to friends and family on the bigger screen if ever I needed to do so. I rarely ever watch DVD’s as I have Netflix and Amazon Prime videos and save my DVD’s for watching if I am away in my caravan and that TV also has a built in player.

“Oh I was not going to get one of those cheap ones from Tesco” she replied (which was my intention :urm: ) “and anyway all the decent ones have Blu-ray nowadays” By this I knew that she had spent considerably more than the £20 I wanted her to spend and the irony is that the trail can (which I really would have liked :roll: ) would probably have cost less money. There is a lesson to be learned somewhere in this story. :tk
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I had a discussion this afternoon with DH about the one present I still have to get and I have decided to order it online. Believe it or not, I will be able to buy more for my money than us driving half an hour to the shop!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:Interesting MD that you use the phrase “because we are not in need” is anyone really in need when it comes to receiving a present? I am sure that my grand kids have just about everything they need and so does my son and daughter, but that does not stop them from desiring something they may like but feel they could not justify buying it themselves. Recently my daughter asked me what I would like for Christmas “Oh nothing too fancy, don’t go wasting your money there is nothing much I need” I said. Well after a lot of badgering I said “I know, get me a cheap DVD player, nothing fancy, not Blu-ray or anything, something basic as I will not use it that often”.

I did fancy a trail camera like Grandad’s and had considered asking the kids to chip in between them for one as a combined present, but thought better of it. Some time later my daughter said that she had been up town and bought my present. “I hope you haven’t spent more than £20 on one” I said as I have DVD players on all of my TV’s apart from my new Smart TV in the living room. I didn’t really need one but it could be handy for maybe showing some of my own DVD compilations I have made of Egypt to friends and family on the bigger screen if ever I needed to do so. I rarely ever watch DVD’s as I have Netflix and Amazon Prime videos and save my DVD’s for watching if I am away in my caravan and that TV also has a built in player.

“Oh I was not going to get one of those cheap ones from Tesco” she replied (which was my intention :urm: ) “and anyway all the decent ones have Blu-ray nowadays” By this I knew that she had spent considerably more than the £20 I wanted her to spend and the irony is that the trail can (which I really would have liked :roll: ) would probably have cost less money. There is a lesson to be learned somewhere in this story. :tk
Actually I usually find that a present I receive is actually something I needed but hadn't realised. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Couldn't post anything yesterday. Had my eye appointment and they must have been over generous with the dilation and anti-biotic drops because I was in a fog for about 9 hours. On leaving the hospital I even had to ask someone to find the taxi name in my cell phone contacts list. I couldn't see a thing. :(

Anyhow there was some good news. My VA was back up to 0.5, the minimum for driving BUT when I am in a taxi or with family in the front of a car I know myself that my sight is still not good enough to drive. We are now used to being car-less so that is not a serious problem. As for the cataract in my GOOD eye, the consultant said that it was not yet bad enough to operate but she will monitor it and maybe in a year she will agree to its removal. The cataract removal in my bad right eye meant that I was able to see the largest letters in the VA test but only when I looked to the left and saw the letters in the right hand edge of the field.

The injections are controlling the AMD in the left and they have extended injections from 8 week to 10 week frequency. So on balance I was happy with the findings yesterday and will now get new glasses. That will be four sets in a year because every time something changes, I get new glasses. :lol: