What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Grandad »

And I understand that a latest 'Fad' is the Air Fryer. A kind of deep fat fryer without the fat. Apparently it is an enclosed vessel into which you put your chips, fish, veg or whatever you might deep fry. Close the vessel and switch on the power.
An electric element heats up and a fan circulates the hot air around the contents to cook them.
I always thought that was called an electric fan oven??? :lol: :lol:

As for today; I had an eye test at Asda. I booked it as a private appointment and would pay a fee because I have had at least 3 tests in the last year. In view of my ongoing treatments they said they would charge it as an NHS test.
Anyhow there was very little change in my 'good' left eye and the VA is now 6/12, with the right eye he couldn't get any measurements. So, as I had new glasses last May that I have hardly used and as they are decent Gucci frames I am having them reglazed. The cost just £80. Why pay more?
Last edited by Grandad on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmmmm a fad. Ok. They're definitely not here.

Don't think I've ever owned a deep fryer. Mostly I refuse to eat anything deep fried. Greasy batter doesn't cross my lips and even thinking on it whist I'm saying "mostly" I can't remember the last time I would have put anything battered or deep fried into my mouth so probably "never" is a better descriptor of why I don't own a deep fryer.

Breadmaker though is a necessity. I mostly make my own bread. I do buy a loaf occasionally in the stores but 90% of the time it is fresh bread as that way I can add in all sorts of seeds and stuff i.e. poppy, chia, flax, sesame (black & white), psyllium.

Not sleeping again. Woke up at the awful hour of 4:30am. Just bought a DOT for the twins for their birthday. I'll get it in the States and bring it back with me and let their Mom figure out how to set it up and use it THEN next trip I'll get one for me and she can set up mine! And/or if when I'm over I don't like DOT I'll get an Echo for me ;) Again I'll let her figure it all out first (cause I probably can't) and then decide.

Have an early morning therapist app't for the deep tissue accupuncture. Geez I wish my hip would fix (instead of continue to deteriorate). Last visit he asked me out of the blue IF I had a history of riding horses. I said "yes" when I was younger and he commented that my type of (AGHH!!!) INJURY he saw often in people who used to ride or still do ride horses. My brain kinda stopped at INJURY and I didn't question him further but today am going to ask for a prognosis re: "How much longer 'til I'm A-ok again cause I'm getting real tired of having a sore right hip every day."

This afternoon I'm going to a meeting downtown that the City has called re: "Age-Friendly Cities Movement." I'm going on behalf of the ladies club I join. Should be interesting. The afternoon and agenda is as follows:

The Age-Friendly cities movement, introduced by the World Health Organization in 2005, was created to make it easier for older people to age actively, enjoy good health, and continue to fully participate in society. Age-friendly strategies strongly support seniors’ social inclusion, and help to eliminate barriers which cause social isolation. Local governments that plan and take actions to accommodate the changing needs of older residents can ensure that their communities benefit and support the health, safety and participation of residents of all ages.

The Age-Friendly City model typically focuses on eight domains. However, we have added a ninth domain, “Food Security and Healthy Eating”, as this has been identified as an issue:

• Outdoor Spaces and Buildings
• Transportation
• Housing
• Social Participation
• Health and Community Services
• Respect and Social Inclusion
• Civic Participation and Employment
• Communication and Information
• NEW Domain - Food Security and Healthy Eating

Nanaimo citizens, community agencies and businesses were surveyed by Seniors Connect about how each of theses domains support seniors’ social participation and inclusion. The results of the survey will be shared with participants.

The goal for the day is to come away with an age-friendly strategy for Nanaimo that can be presented to City Council, and that meets the criteria for provincial AFC certification.

The session will include:
- Summary of Seniors Connect Age-Friendly survey results
- Facilitated discussions and input on an Age-Friendly Strategy for the City of Nanaimo.
- Creating a plan for moving towards the designation of Nanaimo as an Age-Friendly City the provincial government.

Not sure what I can contribute but sometimes thoughts and ideas just come to me so am hoping I can make a valid contribution. This particular area of the Island (the middle and further south) is full of Seniors. Qualicuum's population is something like 47% Seniors and where I'm at isn't too far off of that so I rather see it as being in my own best interests to know what planning is happening.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - you mean like a Convection oven?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@Grandad - you mean like a Convection oven?
The big difference is that they are an enclosed system similar to a pressure cooker (without the pressure) so the small amount of oil is vaporised and is supposed to cook and crisp the outside of a chip, (fries to you LLL ;) ) the idea being that they are not saturated as they would be by being deep fried.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm finding that the older I get, the less faddy I feel about food! I eat what I want when I want it!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's pretty much the way I look at it RS :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

No I DID mean fan oven H. A normal electric oven with a fan like ours to force convection. Convection alone relies solely on the temperature change from top to bottom within the oven.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm hoping to be well enough next week to be able to go out and buy a new cooker. I have a fancy for a Rangemaster with double ovens and 6 burners etc. but I want totally gas which is always a bit of a problem. Most cookers seem to be dual fuel; fan assisted or convection type. I'm sticking out for totally gas! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:No I DID mean fan oven H. A normal electric oven with a fan like ours to force convection. Convection alone relies solely on the temperature change from top to bottom within the oven.
Yes I know how a fan oven works, but I cant see how you can compare a fan oven to an air chip fryer? I would have thought that my description of "they are an enclosed system similar to a pressure cooker (without the pressure) so the small amount of oil is vaporised and is supposed to cook and crisp the outside of a chip" was a pretty accurate description of how it works. They may both have fans and heating elements, but you wouldn't cook chips in your fan oven unless you wanted vaporised oil blown everywhere. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ah! Thanks Horus - I've had the oven here professionally cleaned, but still there is a coating of grease over the grill element which is not removable. I blame a previous user.

Not only that, but the door opens downwards making any cleaning very difficult. Also the door has a glass panel on the inside about 3 cms from the front glass with a gap all round. Roger the Bodger obviously dripped some paint between the two some how and it's impossible to remove it for access.

In my own home I had a conventional oven, a fan oven, a separate grill plus a microwave with grill and a separate microwave. I used to do a lot of batch cooking and used them all regularly -except for the grill in the microwave.

My hob was glass topped, so easy to clean.

I personally fitted out all the cabinets and housings, plus about 10 metres of work surface. Just having the electrics done professionally.

I plumbed my dairy too - quite handy in my day! :oops:

I miss it all. :cry:
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

If you insist on being pedantic Horus, I will leave it there. :a84:

Oh, and by the way; of course we cook chips in a fan oven......
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

If the subject under discussion is a chipper which only uses a teaspoonful of oil - I have to say the chips are absolutely horrible! I bought one each for my sons years ago but I wouldn't give one houseroom! Give me a good old fashioned deep fat fryer any day of the week! Mine is in constant use! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:If you insist on being pedantic Horus, I will leave it there. :a84:

Oh, and by the way; of course we cook chips in a fan oven......
I only insist on being pedantic when others are doing the same 8) and of course you can cook chips in your oven ........ they are called OVEN CHIPS, part cooked potato coated in oil or fat, but in your oven you do not have vapourised oil being blasted around with a fan as part of the cooking process using raw potatoes, or is that what you are saying?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The only potato chips I like are my own chunky triple fried and I haven't done them for years. I just don't like chips I manage very well without them.

However, I know a wonderful little veggie restaurant in Ibiza that does Sweet Potato thin chips to die for. Mmmmmmm
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And it is difficult to get a crisp skin on a Sweet potato chip ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I know, I can't do it, and sprinkled with sea salt....................Mmmmmm
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote:I know, I can't do it, and sprinkled with sea salt....................Mmmmmm
The secret MD is to try dusting them in a coating of Corn Flower before frying them ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have never been a fan of potatoes so am quite OK never eating them. Here though in restaurants you typically get eggs, bacon/ham/sausage (your choice of one), toast and hash browns. Hash browns are potatoes and can anything from shredded fried potatoes to potatoes quartered and fried. Those are not too bad.

Not too sure how she did it but the daughter was making Kale Chips. I was growing the kale and eating what she made (nothing battered) but no real idea how she was making them.

Was tired today as was on the run for almost all yesterday so have mostly been watching Netflix.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We have Hash Browns over here LLL and like you are usually eaten with a breakfast of some kind, bacon, eggs, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns etc. It was also quite common at one time to fry 1/4" thick (or thereabouts) slices of potato and deep fry them, sometimes in a batter coating and usually referred to as 'Potato Scallops'
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have never heard of potato scallops but here there are probably as many potato recipes as potatoes.

When I order a full breakfast I occasionally eat a couple chunks of the potatoes but ONLY usually if it is real potato that has been pre-cooked and then fried in a frying pan. I don't think I've ever really seen a potato here cooked in batter.