What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

LLL you asked recently what do you give people who have everything?

In my Grandson's case I've ordered a barbed wire decorated toilet seat. :o

Real barbed wire is covered with clear plastic so it is smooth to the touch but looks very effective. I got toilet paper printed with wire to match. He has his own bathroom and spends, like a lot of males. quite a time in there every day.

My daughter's car has died...… She always has a heap, I don't think she has ever bought a new car before, but as she is awaiting delivery of her first, I thought Dashcams would be a good idea. everything else so far is pretty boring.

Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - A barbed wire toilet seat is definitely a prickly & novel idea!

I really don't like shopping too much but here it is particularly difficult as everything gets shipping in and often there are like 2 items brought in once a year. If you don't happen to be standing in the store at the exact time they're put on display they're gone. Searching for something can be an act of futility and enormous time waster too. Often the brand names that arrive here are unknown. That means they're either total duds or they're excellent yet unknown. We're getting better with Amazon but it is still buying something you can't SEE then having to return it.

Right now to top it all off this year right now - our Post Office is going through rotating strikes pending going out on strike full time.

Just went and re-newed my drivers licence. Definitely hope it arrives in the 2 to 3 weeks indicated cause I'm thinking the closer we get to Christmas the greater the likelihood the rotating Strikes will turn into big strikes.

One of the arguments the Post Office it touting is that they're a vital service that brings and keeps communities together via delivering the mail........??? In theory I get what they're saying and maybe it was true way back when everybody used to mail letters to everybody but now. Not so much. I have no idea who the Post Person is here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I confess that over the last 24 hours I have watched a lot of the events commemorating the 100 year anniversary of the WWI armistice.
And following your tip off H I will record the program this evening that you mentioned on another thread.

As the practice nurse at the surgery told me two weeks ago that I was now diabetic, I thought I had better do something about it. We do have a good diet with only moderate portions but I am being more aware of what is actually in the food I eat and trying to keep clear of ingredients that don't help my condition.
Exercise is the other thing she talked about and with my mobility problems (you can't walk very briskly with a walking stick and legs dead up to the knees) I have purchased an exercise cycle. We used to have a cross trainer but it took up too much room and I sold it. This cycle is heavy duty, max user weight 130kg, and it folds to take up a small footprint in the small bedroom.
It was delivered today and I assembled it ready to start a gentle (for starters) regime to get the heart working a bit harder.
If you don't hear from me again, I have worked it too hard :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

You are always a step ahead of me Grandad - I've been looking at exercise bikes too there have been quite a few regularly on Gumtree. I know most people buy them with the best of intentions then get bored with them in short order, but I'm loth to buy second hand.

I'm currently doing an order for Amazon, think I'll look in there. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I was in the States maybe like 2006 or so I bought an Eliptical. I tried it and liked it but after I got it home and tried to use it for more than a couple minutes it was really hard on my hip and legs. Ultimately sold it. I switched to a stationary bike and used it often. Sold it before I returned to Canada and don't have one now as I thought I'd ride a real bike. I have a real bike but don't ride it. Too many hills here. I'm great on flat and level ground but add an incline and I can't do it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
This is the one I bought MD

It is very robust, fairly heavy, but takes up very little space when folded. The assembly is very straightforward, just a little heavy putting the stabiliser feet on. I took it upstairs and assembled it on the landing which made life easier. It comes with spanner and hex wrench so no tools required. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you for the information Grandad, it looks very good.

When I went to Pedal Power before I had my knee ops I used a semi reclining road bike. Since I now have so many different problems I was in a bit of a dilemma as to where to start. I'm not immediately concerned with increasing muscles but increasing joint mobility. I'm seriously considering a motorized unit to start with.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
This was the cross trainer that we had LLL but it took up too much space indoors so I sold it.

We both started our new fitness regime this morning. Just 5 or 6 minutes to break in gradually. I feel fitter already :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely lousy day today so won't be going far :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: We must all be thinking along the same lines, but my choice is a little different. I have had in the past one of those leg swinging walking things and apart from it being very bulky I soon got bored with using it as it offered me little motivation to use it. However recently I have been looking at a treadmill, mainly because I enjoy walking and often the weather is awful, the downside would be that Annie would miss out. They are usually very bulky and have a large footprint especially the better built ones so I have been looking at one that folds up to reduce the required space. I can just about accommodate one in my computer room which is handy as I can set it up to take advantage of a TV to watch or listen to my own music, although it does have built in Bluetooth speakers. The other advantage would be it could be placed adjacent to patio doors into my conservatory so I could take advantage of my garden in good weather. Typical of these sort of devices they are over engineered regarding all the various functions they offer, I would not want 90% of them, just something to allow me to have an hours or so walk each day regardless of the weather to keep my legs and joints mobile. I don’t like those gravity type treadmills which make you keep going up a sliding belt, so a powered one is my choice, I have been looking at this one in particular, but won’t be doing any jogging on it. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JLL-S300-Tread ... r+home+use
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That looks a good price for an impressive piece of kit H. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree it looks pretty good Grandad, so just debating whether or not I will get the value out of it. :tk
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just finished watching the Netflix series 'The Haunting of Hill House' and it was not bad, but it did have me wondering where I had seen the person who plays the father of the family in the flashback scenes, his face seemed very familiar, then it came to me, it was ...............
Spoiler
Elliot the young boy in the film E.T.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have never owned a tread mill but interestingly enough when I've gone to the gym my machine of choice has been a treadmill. I usually put it onto walk and incline and I'm off. The gym I used to go to had TV's both ON the treadmill so you could use headphones and walk and/or they had TV's posted on the wall so you could watch and walk. This I found was the key to me walk - amuse me with something and I'd happily walk passing the time. If I had to just walk and face a wall - wouldn't work. Same same I can't hold a book or kindle and read or walk so treadmill + TV works well for me.

In the gyms I see some people like rowing machines UGH although you can work up a sweat fast. There are Spinning bikes (stationary but I think you're meant to ride for HOURS!) again UGH. The elipticals I found really ground my hips and apart from swinging your legs back and forth and then letting you walk in a round rolling motion didn't do much for me as I couldn't get past about 3 minutes before the pain started. Plus they're BIG! I bought one partly succumbing to advertising that extolled their virtues but I found hard to do so really never did use it. Was good to throw my clothes on though.

Years ago I did have a really good stationary bike and used it. I bought it for $5 at an Estate sale. Had a big wide seat so was very comfortable to sit on and the front wheel was good. I also had it set up in a bedroom in front of an old TV so I'd pedal and watch a 20 - 30 minute clip.

The honest problem here which rose to an ugly head this past summer is that we have been inundated with Homeless who even established a "Discontent City" in our downtown core. They have robbed, piltered, pillage and the police have watched them as they have taken over the downtown core and parks. A couple weeks ago they broke into and took over a School in a residential area which required Swat Teams brought in to get them out and in 18 hours managed to do $100,000 worth of damage. Too many horror stories of seniors being attacked, robbed and beaten up. We've attracted national attention and now also have active Vigilante type groups forming, warring factions (there are supporters of the homeless who are mostly heavily addicted and thieve to support their addictions touting 'these are people too' and on and on) I can go on forever about this but it has stopped lots of people walking or using the parks myself included. Going to any public parking lot you run the risk of having the windows of your vehicle broken out so they can vandalize or search for anything you've left inside.

Anyway - I can go on about our emergent social problems but I might also consider getting some sort of exercise machine and if I was going to chose it would be preferably a tread mill but they can be really big and heavy or a stationary bike. Both of those I'd use.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I live next to a small supermarket. Outside there is a pitch for a Big Issue seller, usually Maria who is a Romanian lady or her husband. They are very polite, don't even hint at begging and if anyone can offer a cleaning job she's up for it. Her husband works when he can but has health issues and they have a 14 year old daughter, again charming quiet and polite. They are devout Christians and sometimes we have chatted about the similarities in our religions rather than the differences. They do have a roof over their head, but very basic furnishing. They don't even have a cooker, only a gas ring but are grateful for what they have as it enables them to get a good education for their daughter who is the light of their life.

Most of the time there is also a beggar. They just sit on the ground outside the shop and local people will buy sandwiches and or a drink for them even if they don't give money. They usually stay for a few months before they move on, having qualified for basic local government accommodation.

This weekend I heard a tap at the door and there stood our "last" beggar who left about a month ago. He made it clear he wasn''t asking for money, he just came to see if I was OK, as he was my unofficial security man keeping a watch on my house ;) and to tell me that he has a room, paid for weekly rather than a bed in a hostel (which cost £10 a night. Doesn't sound much, but that's about £300 a month which sounds much more serious.) He visits the job centre every day and hopes to be doing temporary work for the Royal Mail this Christmas.

It was wonderful to see him looking well and to hear that there is no bullying in his accommodation, nor drugs on offer. It was always clear that he didn't take drugs nor alcohol. Sometimes in the summer I saw him refuse a cold beer that a well wisher offered. He seems straight honest and clean. He was a normal working man when his marriage suddenly hit the rocks and his wife moved away with his young daughter. He had a breakdown, couldn't cope and before he knew it was homeless and penniless. It's very easily done, but reversing the situation is staggeringly hard. His daughter has visited him in his new home and he is on better terms with her mother. I was so pleased to see him and I wish him well.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
Lovely stories of hope and optimism MD :up I hope that life continues to improve for the people you mention.

The taxi company we use employs many Bulgarians and Romanians. The are the nicest, helpful and most polite young people you could wish to meet.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I agree and I must say that I Cardiff the most totally integrated community I have ever experienced. People are friendly, they smile and nod as they pass in residential areas and easily strike up conversation.

There is a theory that the very large number of homeless people in the city centre are attracted by the good hearted nature of the residents, it's quite remarkable. :up
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Like so many we had an exercise bike once upon a time. Started off with the best of intentions but it soon started gathering dust and was consigned to the garage. Must admit part of the issue was the extremely uncomfortable seat which made a deep impression :cry:

One of the accounts I follow on Twitter is Dogs on the Street which supports homeless people and their dogs. The work they do in supporting these people is wonderful & this week there was a lovely photo of one of the people they supported in the past now back and volunteering there, having turned his own life around :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The homeless we have here are by and large drug addicts who demand demand and then demand more. Truly if what you donate to them isn't what they want they'll throw it back in your face and probably stalk you back to your car and then vandalize it.

The day our Gov't announced they were bringing in ATCO trailers (they're bunk house style trailer that worker in the far north live in) was the day this Anarchist group broke into a school and vandalized it demanding that these were not "good enough" for them!!

Now a Housing Corporation has been organized to build housing. One 90 unit place and one 70 unit place however there are no restrictions or rules. In other words if you come in totally drunk or stoned that is "OK" (which to me is absolutely NOT OK at all).

The theory, as put forward by this Anarchist Group is that putting rules on these people would be like soft confinement aka jail.

Two years ago we were a friendly, happy place to be. Now theft is rampant, nobody is safe, everything has to be locked down. For whatever reason these people seem to be able to take over a downtown core and the Police have to wait for a court order to move them! And even though they were trespassing, had 2 stabbing deaths, 2 explosions (with severe injuries), countless over doses and open prostitution apparently our RCMP were unable to enforce anything or do much of anything. Course we don't have sufficient law enforcement to deal with an invasion of people from everywhere who basically set up tent cities and en masse just squat and refuse to move.

This is an excerpt for Horus from a local group that has been set up to report thefts to the community: I just had a bad experience today. I was walking my dogs and a friend's dog along the ravine opposite Brooks Landing. My friend's dog was grabbed by a woman. I didn't see this but it was witnessed by a man who was near the church. I was a couple of minutes behind. I canvassed the neighbourhood and found the dog at the house next to the park. She had him in the basement. I'm pretty sure she grabbed him to sell him. He's a pure bred 9yr old Chocolate Lab, very well behaved, good off leash, doesn't wander and comes when called. She gave me the excuse that someone was trying to kick him and calling him a "bad dog". I'm still traumatized by this. Please be aware to be on your guard in this area. She did this in about two minutes. I asked why she took him. She also said she couldn't wait to find the owner as her "shopping was heavy" !!

This is another post: Thieves were breaking into cars in broad daylight at woodgrove mall today. Heads up.. worse every year..someone should lay some bait.

This is an somewhat "official" post: With Christmas shopping in full swing now, these rats will be even more active in mall parking lots, but especially in peoples yards and home parked vehicles.
The home B&E’s will increase quickly and much more frequently, be extra vigilant and keep your eyes open, empty your vehicles, leave exterior home lights on, let these thieving rats know that we are watching. They are watching us, so it is time to return the favour.

We can easily get 40+ posts daily of matters such as above. Most are from individuals who have had their gas tanks punctured, bikes or something else outside stolen.

The Police are holding meetings advising home owners of what to watch for when they're scoping out your home and advising that we walk out to the person, say 'hello' and get a good look at them (which is the last thing the average thief wants) and hopefully giving the idea that you're watching will dissuade them from stopping back at night.

To me I've never had a problem helping somebody who, like MD described, had a marriage break up & lost it all but is basically OK and struggling to get back. Nobody minds helping and being supportive of this type of scenerio but what we have here is something totally different. It is happening in other cities too on the west coast (i.e. Seattle, Portland) as the weather is basically decent and those places traditionally welcoming.

Not sure how this is going to play out but doesn't seem to be playing out too well right now ........
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Sounds terrible LLL and I have a feeling it is much worse in real life. I feel for your community, dreadful. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It truly is dreadful and it materialized relatively fast too. What does any small (like 85,000) city do when they suddenly get a total horde of homeless arrive over a summer and they squat. Any time the City tried to evict or move them "they" suddenly had lawyers on retainer to go to Court and put up injunctions against this?

Who is funding this group of addicted thieving homeless? (which did turn out to be an Anarchist Group originating from Vancouver)

They initially sat on the lawns of Parliament (clean up was over $1 million) and now many moved here.

Courts have given them to end of this month to move so that has caused many to leave forming small enclaves all over. They're usually found by the trash and garbage they create and leave but it is also leaving the city fairly held hostage as they do not hesitate to rob Seniors, grab a bike off a small child ...... they're doing nothing to endear themselves to anybody however they do have many supporters (bleeding hearts) who feel they're fellow humans and we need to see them as people which means "WE" (the working citizens) must give them whatever they need to live!!!! Can't put any rules on them as apparently they have the "right" to live as they want but that also translates into 'gimme gimme gimme' even though I am doing nothing to contribute to society.

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out but it also means I don't go strolling out with my camera into the parks as it just isn't safe.