What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

No jab at all :( cause apparently for the past 18 months the bursa I've been working on hasn't been the problem. It is a tendon that is inflamed. The word the Doctor used is presently escaping me but it'll return. We talked 4 treatment modalities but I'm opting for Prolotherapy which is classed an "Alternative Medicine" (hence not covered by BC Medical) as it has the highest 75 - 80% success rate. Need 3 of these a week apart and "yup" supposed to hurt in that it creates inflammation but when that goes down the pain goes away.

I figure it can't be worse than how it is now. Standing is the worst. I can't. I can walk without too much difficulty so long as I just walk. I've found walking & holding hands with the grandkids particularly if they're yanking on me at all will also set my hip off in 3 seconds flat and then walking becomes difficult. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, sometimes not. Mostly I just want this FIXED yesterday particularly since the Doctors got it wrong 18 months ago in the first place and I've been going all this time for really nada (although the IMS & ultrasound does bring relief it just does not last)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Sounds as if you have really been in a lot of discomfort LLL. I have had several injections of cortisone which have worked provided the doc finds the spot. Otherwise any benefit is short lived.
The treatment that you will have is new to me and I wish you well and hope it does the trick :up

Through a WWI site I have made contact with a great nephew. His father is my mothers nephew and our two families lost touch many years ago as our families went their separate ways. From my family history investigations 7 or 8 years ago I have been able to provide him with a lot of facts that he was unaware of. I am very happy about this reunion, his father is a first cousin of mine who I remember well but have not seen since probably the early forties.
Quite a happy event. :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Am home now sitting in my chair in no discomfort. I got the Prolotherapy shot (25% dextrose + numbing agent) at 11am. Granted the pain went away immediately as my hip was essentially frozen. The hope is that this dextrose causes inflammation for a day or two and then as it heals it also heals the ligament tendon. After a closer examination today the Doctor concluded what I have puts me in a 2% category of people who have what I have (he told me but it is a very long and new word to me so again can't quite remember it). The freezing lasts 3 to 4 hours and goes away (which is about now). I'm to expect discomfort like a really strenuous workout but after about 2 days it should be gone and the tendon 60% better. I go again next week for another shot and again the week after. I figure I've got nothing to lose trying to fix this pain. Right now I'm quite pain free ;) Pottery afternoon was a breeze! :up :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have just completed and paid for my Christmas shopping thanks to Amazon. I'm mildly disturbed by the company in general but don't have enough conscience to ignore them, unlike my PC daughter who hates them. Her presents will be delivered here, gift wrapped and all traces of packing removed before she comes for the holidays. :oops:

After much thought and research, I bought for myself a motorised pedal exerciser to try to get the limbs going quicker in the morning and an external hard drive so that I can down load the contents of a few old computers hanging around here.

Weather has been vile until just now, when the weird brassy light gave way to clearing clouds and a lovely rainbow. I'm hoping it stays like this as I haven't been to the city for weeks and must go to get prescription anyway this afternoon.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As we, daughter and SiL, and his mother are off to the Tyrol for Christmas, 3 weeks on Sunday, we have told the rest that we are not doing anything for Christmas this year except greetings cards. There is a long story behind this but our decision has been received positively and with best wishes. With everyone adult and at least into their twenties even the rest of the family are taking from our lead and reducing the considerable sums that Christmas usually costs......all for one day. Bah Humbug :lol:

Today we are meeting up with a friend in town for pre Christmas lunch, don't see her too often. Then next Saturday we are doing the same with my sister and her husband, pre Christmas lunch at The George and Dragon Fordwich, a venue I have mentioned in the past.

Just a bit of trivia. I earlier posted the comment
Through a WWI site I have made contact with a great nephew. His father is my mothers nephew

I wasn't entirely sure of my relationship with my new family acquaintance and assumed he would be a great nephew. Apparently not so and from a chart I found via Google he is in fact a First Cousin once removed. This chart may be of interest to you:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Apparently most of the large order from Amazon is arriving today :o Any time after 7am, so I think I'd better have my shower after it comes as my neighbours are away this weekend or they would take it in. I can't wait to try out my pressies to myself. :lol: :D :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yesterday I found out from a neighbour that somebody has apparently dumped A LOT of oil or diesel fuel into the marsh water system behind my house. The neighbour walked down there and took a few pictures and said the smell was so strong it was giving her an instant headache. The City was there and they've put down absorbent pads while assessing the damage. They've also tracked the spill up to another street but lost it there. Can't believe anybody would deliberately try and poison this marsh. The swans will tentatively arrive soon and there are lots of ducks that live there year 'round.

I saw the photos and there does seem to be a thick frothy lathery thick brown scum in one area. The City had already put down pads to suck up this mess by the time photos were taken. Definitely hope they can contain this and figure out where it is coming from especially if it is an old tank that has ruptured or ? Not sure what would account for the smell but neighbour said it is really foul smelling.

Today the rain is pouring down, still somewhat dark at 9am. Going to have another cuppa and think about what I might want to be up to today.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Bad news LLL, I hope that they get it sorted quickly. It can be so difficult to trace though.

We used to have a couple of hundred yards of riverbank. Well, it was a stream by the time it got to us having fed about 8 or 9 mills before it reached us. Every time we had heavy rain there was an oil slick coming down the river. My Neighbour upstream about quarter of a mile away tried to trace it before it reached him, but it disappeared into a culvert. He noticed one day it smelled of petrol, investigated further and it was from a garage in the village. Their petrol spillage tank wasn't being maintained and the overflow was going down their storm drain. I seem to remember they had a hefty fine, but it was a long time ago. Easy done though, they weren't anywhere near the river itself, but I guess the village storm water drains issued into the stream.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Apparently the City Guys have traced it back so far but then lost it. I definitely hope they get this cleaned up asap. The marsh behind me is lovely and I don't want to have to be out there rescuing ducks and washing oil off of them.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

What a strange world we live in...…. after so many warnings about Tramadol, I now have 200 tablets on the table beside me.

When I order any repeat prescriptions from the Doctor's surgery I have to wait 2 days before I can collect them. So I use the chemist's shop attached to the surgery and they have it ready and waiting for me. So far so good.

Unfortunately the chemist is closed at the weekend and I had to collect my order late Friday afternoon. When I came to open the bag it did not contain the three items I needed, but a box of 100 tramadol capsules. Fortunately I had a couple of extra BP pills to last until today.

I worried over the weekend thinking perhaps I had had a senior moment, but I remember distinctly telling the dispenser when I ordered by phone that I wanted Nexium which is on the prescription as something unpronounceable and saying that I didn't need any tramadol.

When I checked the boxes just now, one was issued 30th October and the other 12th November - obviously the doctor didn't check before signing. I think it was the doctor and not me that had the senior moment.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I despair at times MD about prescriptions from the surgery and repeat prescriptions.

I use Dorzolamide eye drops in both eyes. Until my last glaucoma appointment I was applying drops twice a day. At this rate a 5ml bottle was sufficient to last the 28 day repeat period.
At my last glaucoma appointment in June, the consultant increased my usage to three times a day to keep the pressures under control. So just a 50% increase.
My next repeat prescription was made up for 20ml. I don't know if that was the doctor or some surgery clerk but that is the sort of nurds that are employed by the NHS. It ten took me a couple of weeks to get the message through to alter my prescription.
I have many more examples of incompetence that I won't bore you with. :xx
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

That's strangely reassuring Grandad, thank you.

It just crossed my mind that the nurse who tried very hard not to let us have post-op pain relief by warning "you won't be able to get these when you leave hospital" may not be aware of what real life is like. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD, I will bore you with a couple of recent examples ;)

I received glaucoma appointments to see the consultant and THEN on a later date, to have a visual field test? Doh!

I have heart condition that requires an annual Echo cardiogram scan that I have had two years previous. They sent me an appointment for an ECG (Electrocardiogram). Doh!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:lol: :D :lol: I was almost about to start my list.

By the way, the prescription I expected to get on Friday was there all the time - That was the chemist's mistake.

Being supplied with extra Tramadol was the Doctor's mistake, luckily not fatal. :x
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, my day got off to a (not so) good start! A perfectly innocent response on my part seems to have sparked off WW3 between Horus and Newcastle over on the Blue side! :sd Horus has locked the thread so I can't even proffer apologies to both gentlemen, so, if you see this, Horus and Newcastle, please accept my apologies! I had no intentions of being contentious - just stating my personal experience. :urm:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We don't usually bring one discussion over from other forums RS but I understand your concern although it is not necessary :) . Rest assured that this type of thing is nothing new, so no problem. As usual my biggest bug bear is when people ask for advice and others post replies in good faith, then someone tries to hijack the thread by trying to say that their view is the only correct one and so rubbishes other peoples input. That to my mind stifles debates, I can only tell you what one of my own banks states on that information on its website plus having had that same problem in trying to stop said Direct Debit with another one of my banks, namely Barclays. So people can Google all they like, but that does not make it true in practice and that goes for most Googled responses which are often inacurate. Far too many people nowadays seem incapable of giving a rational response set out in their own words and instead quote verbatim some internet source as if it were written in stone. :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Ruby Slippers
Don't apologise RS. As far as I can see you had nothing to do with that debacle over on the blue side. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A much better day today, cold but brighter. Mrs G will go into town on the bus, I shall go on the scooter by the passageways and see if I can beat the bus :lol:
I only need to call in at the bank, she has other things to do so I shall be home before her. We never go shopping in town together. My shopping style is, know what you want before you go, get it and go home. Hers is to survey all the options and to usually end up choosing the first item looked at. But that is women and shopping ;) :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have discovered the secret of getting a same day appointment at my doctors! :up You start phoning at 7.55am and keep pressing 'redial' until someone answers! I got an appointment for 9.45am. I am now in receipt of a dose of antibiotics for a chest infection! It's Christmas - nearly! :td
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I collected my correct prescription today. There was no apology from the chemist for not giving it to me last Friday and when I said I didn't understand being given an extra box of Tramadol he said that if I was taking the max dose prescribed I would need 100 tablets every 12 days. I couldn't see the point of arguing any more - he was quite flushed and I think was expecting a rocket from me.