What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Just started some of my own jobs after the Cluckingham Palace project, fitted two new tyres to the caravan to keep things legal, just finished pressure washing the patio slabs at the back, so that looks a lot tidier. Then phoned the chicken farmer and reserved some 'special breeds' that my daughter wanted so she is not disappointed when we go over on Monday. I reserved two Staffordshire Blue Splashes (they lay blue coloured eggs) one Blue Ranger and one Speckledy and I managed to get the last Wellsommer hen which are deemed to be rare breeds, she can choose the others when we arrive. :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way cook on the chicken selections. Some chickens with the plumage all fluffed out look absolutely gorgeous. I quite like chickens and debate having them here. I could squeak in the space for 3 tops BUT I live too close to the wilds and, am sure it would be a battle with whatever wildlife happened to stroll by.

Today I was back in the pottery studio. A new lady has been hired, seems very nice and easy to deal with so will now have my Thursday morning activity back 'til end of June. Made another house for my city and two trees and some pottery stakes to stick into my pots. Mostly my plan is to use up the rest of my clay for towards the end of June and re-start come September.

Upstairs of the pottery studio is a lounge today featuring a jazz band so stayed on for another couple of hours to listen to the music and have a cuppa.

Stopped at the garden center on the way back. Bought a "Chocolate Mint" (I have a big old cedar planter I need to fill with something and 3 more Lewisia. Am quite enthralled with them. Love their flowers and they do seem to have a long bloom time too. Got them planted, put in a loaf of bread to bake for tomorrow as the Grandkids are coming for the day (Pro-D Day at their school)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

ITS CHICKEN DAY TOMORROW :wave: :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:d1: How exciting! Do take pictures for us, Pretty Please. :a20:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way cool! Are your girl still "peeps" or have are they actually going to be chickens?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Weather not special today which was just as well because my wife had an eye appointment. #1 son did the honours today and as he lives fairly near the clinic he went home until we were ready to be taken home.
I do keep records of our appointments and this was my wifes 43rd injection and mine last Sunday was my 23rd. Our eyeballs are like collanders. :lol:

Weather should improve again this week so I feel some patio planting coming on. ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote::d1: How exciting! Do take pictures for us, Pretty Please. :a20:
Will do MD :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Way cool! Are your girl still "peeps" or have are they actually going to be chickens?
Did you mean Pets? if so they will be a bit of both, knowing my daughter they will all have names, but the eggs will be nice. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ H - Here "peeps" are what the chick(ens)s are called when they're basically feathered out (beyond the fuzzy baby chick stage) and "peeping" vs "clucking."

And - soon as they all arrive start putting their food & treats into a metal container. They'll identify with that in no time flat so if there is an escape all you'll have to do is appear with the container, give it a few taps or clangs and all the ladies will come running FAST to see what goodies are going to appear :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah I see, we would call those young chickens 'Pullets' that being the stage prior to 'point of lay' which all of these will be, meaning they will be between 16 and 22 weeks old (these are all in the older bracket) with the Wellsomer hen being around 28 weeks old. As you know they all mature and start laying at different ages depending on breed types, but most of these should start laying fairly soon after they settle in. As to the training method you describe, I always found that some maize corn inside an old cocoa tin or similar made a good rattle to get the hens to come a running. ;) :eat
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - yup so long as it is something they can see and recognize and hear you will have them running to meet you which IS very important if you are going to let them free roam.They cute and interesting to watch.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It's nearly 01.00am and I have just phoned to make a complaint about noise coming from the premises behind my house. I had to leave a message. I told them they were behaving unreasonably and I will call them again tomorrow.

I have always believed in live and let live, but the line has been crossed. I will warn them that as they have licenced premises, I shall be contacting the local council with a complaint. This is not the first time they have been antisocial, it must stop.

When I looked out of my window just now there were no customers inside, everyone was outside where there was a guitar playing and drunken singing and cheering.

My garden fence is about 25 feet from the back of my house. The partygoers are immediately the other side still making a noise. This is not reasonable. :xx

The premises in question until about three years ago were run down lockup garages, then converted to a Haidresser, Lawyers office, little clothes shop and a "Delicatessen" also selling food and craft beer. It is an inappropriate location for their trade and should never have been given planning and licensing permissions.

They held a few parties last year which finished at about 11pm. But loud talking is still going on at 1.15 am. :xx :xx :xx
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I'm good with noise 'til about 9pm, then am getting less and less ok with it 'til 11pm and by midnight I'm calling particularly if it is just silly drunken/druggie noise which is actually why 3 yrs ago I sold the house I bought and moved as the entire street above me (which were all super huge expensive houses) partied from Thursday to Monday 'til 3am. It was absolutely crazy. I saw no solution to any of it so opted to purchase this place which has only a swamp behind me and neighbours not nearly as close. It is way bigger than I probably need to have but I seem to have it filled up ok. Granted the frogs go all night now but somehow I find their croaking soothing and melodic vs noise.

My immediate neighbour has a new "fella" who drives a great roaring motorcycle. I'd say he is 50ish and seems a nice man but WHY he has to both roar in and out of her driveway leaves me shaking my head. His times of arrival and departure are not too bad but I'm sure he could arrive and leave in a much quieter fashion.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I almost wish I had the excuse of noise that keeps me awake, but I don't. I'm just not sleeping at all well at the moment. I have been up since 2.30am now and I have a teaching workshop today from 10-4! I'm going to be like a wet rag by the time I get home. Having said that, even if you can't sleep, I don't think I'd be happy with the degree and type of noise you are suffering, MD! :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I am not a good sleeper like Ruby, who has my greatest sympathy, bless her.

I'm not too well at the moment and just about managing by taking a little less Tramadol than prescribed. Yesterday I was too wobbly even to shower. After the noise stopped I was so angry that I couldn't sleep till after 4.0. Ok until 6.0 which is the latest I usually start my day and decided I would try to sleep as late as possible. I did manage to go back to sleep but woken at 8.0 by the cowboy builders working next door. They usually saw, drill and hammer for a short time after 8.0 so everyone knows they are there then lounge around the back windows and scaffolding, smoking and having a break. Then there is no further noise all day.

Thank you for letting me vent, I feel better for that. Now to see if I can get through the day without falling and being a nuisance. ;)

My misspent youth has a lot to answer for! :lol: :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, I don't like doing it, but I've reported the Delicatessen to the council and have a case number.

The next step is to see the terms of their licence......... I still don't understand how/why they got permission to sell alcohol and party outside residential dwellings without a precedent.

I can see the the Deli is on to good thing - they have three small units made into one big one, discrete and no competitors, but using the communal space in front of the units gives them a big cheap site with low rates.....................Hmmn I'll get onto the rating people too I think.

Right, plan of action!
#1 Noise abatement and nuisance have recommended keeping a log.
#2 Planning consent
#3 Sale of alcohol licence
#4 query their rates and or can I get a reduction on mine.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Good for you MD :up

I am of a like mind and will raise an issue if I find something unacceptable. That goes for noise, hazards, service etc which in my opinion should be better. When I write or email my local council or local Councillor on an issue, I invariably find that my communication is ignored until I repeat it in much stronger terms.

People who moan about things but do nothing about it annoy me intensely. As do people who post reviews anonymously. If you have a genuine complaint, have the balls to put your name to it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lack of a decent night sleep and waking up tried = crabby, foul mood all day plus if I don't get enough sleep and then accidentally fall asleep during the day for any length of time is a sure way for me NOT to fall asleep that night which then throws my entire routine off.

IF I get woke up cause fire truck or something zooms up the street I can live with that reason but if it is partying idiots who don't have the where with all to dummy up in the wee hours I have no compunction to call in a complaint 'cept here nobody listens and RCMP will only come out if there is something 'dangerous' possibly going to happen. Leads to some pretty testy neighbourhood interactions.

Today - I was going to head to start a Drawing course. It was scheduled to start last week but was cancelled due to Instructor illness and I just had another call that it has been cancelled again today same reason. Won't start next week as it is a Public holiday so end of the month will be as soon as it will start. Bit disappointed and now am thinking I might just cancel out 'til the fall and start again then - not too sure.

I rushed out this morning to hit the grocery stores and saw in the one store 4.5" pots of wooly thyme. I've started a couple that are spreading nicely and I've been chipping away little bits and pieces starting it all over as it spreads well and is a terrific ground cover. Bought 4 more and have plopped these into some bigger more open spaces around here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Doing very little today but yesterday we planted up all the patio pots and two hanging baskets. THAT'S THIS YEARS GARDENING ALL DONE :lol: :lol:

I don't use the camera every evening but when I went to set it Monday evening it was dead. I traced and repaired the fault yesterday and after checking all electrical connections etc it would appear that a squirrel had chewed halfway though the transformer lead. There was just enough wire to strip back and solder the leads together. Glad I did because I got some good results in the evening.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Shopping as usual this morning. All done and dusted in little over an hour, that's how I like it having never been one to do any of the shopping.

This evening we are going to a 'Burgundy Evening' at Chapmans our regular fish restaurant. It is an annual event for just 30 covers. Five courses each matched with a Burgundy wine. We invited our daughter and SiL to join us but SiL has had to drop out with a back problem. Daughter is still coming, you won't keep her away where fish and wine are concerned. :lol: