Smelling Farts May Be Good for your Health

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Reader discretion is advised - but for the sake of better health .................this study indicates:

The next time someone at your office lets out a "silent but deadly" emission, maybe you should thank them. A new study at the University of Exeter in England suggests that exposure to hydrogen sulfide — a.k.a. what your body produces as bacteria breaks down food, causing gas — could prevent mitochondria damage. Yep, the implication is what you're thinking: People are taking the research to mean that smelling farts could prevent disease and even cancer.

The study, published in the Medicinal Chemistry Communications journal, found that hydrogen sulfide gas in rotten eggs and flatulence could be a key factor in treating diseases.

"Although hydrogen sulfide gas is well known as a pungent, foul-smelling gas in rotten eggs and flatulence, it is naturally produced in the body and could in fact be a healthcare hero with significant implications for future therapies for a variety of diseases," Dr. Mark Wood, a professor at the University of Exeter, said in a statement.

While hydrogen sulfide gas is harmful in large doses, the study suggests that "a whiff here and there has the power to reduce risks of cancer, strokes, heart attacks, arthritis, and dementia by preserving mitochondria," Time reports.

Dr. Matt Whiteman, a University of Exeter professor who worked on the study, said in a statement that researchers are even replicating the natural gas in a new compound, AP39, to reap its health benefits. The scientists are delivering "very small amounts" of AP39 directly into mitochondrial cells to repair damage, which "could hold the key to future therapies," the university's statement reveals.

You'll have to decide for yourself, though, whether exposure to hydrogen sulfide in flatulence is worth the potential health benefits. —Meghan DeMaria

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Smelling Farts May Be Good for your Health

Post by Horus »

All I can say after reading that is Phew! :sk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:All I can say after reading that is Phew! :sk
All I can say after reading that is.......it is a pity highly paid University Professors can't find something more useful to the community that pay their wages. (But I always thought they are a load of old farts ;) )
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

AHH Grandad!! ;) You took my line ;) ;) "old farts!" :))) I was waiting for a response and then going to basically say the same thing ;)

But I do agree the old farts in the University must have had a slow day when they decided to study this.

On the other hand I think some of the worlds biggest and best inventions were discovered while scientists were working on something else.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Oh yuk . . not to be thought about with my imagination - made me think of this ....... watched a film called the Human Centipede - - well watched out of the corner of my eye whilst on here, oh yuk doubled.