24 hours to go

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

24 hours to go

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have to ask the question - are you ready for the holiday? I think I am - cooking the turkey tomorrow as it'll be ME for Christmas Eve dinner then off to sing carols. On the 25th it'll be over to see the Grandkids and take the presents then back home for leftovers.

Was able to get everything I was looking for, able to get all 5 knit caps knit for the daughter's family. Not too sure WHO exactly started the tradition of me knitting everybody NEW wool caps every year for Christmas - so this year everybody is getting a new wool cap in very bright multi-variegated wool. That'll teach 'em! ;)

And "Star Wars" seems to have made a BIG comeback!! Anybody see this latest release? Good? It seems to be breaking box office records and one BIG phenomenal amount of money. All the Grandsons want are "light sabers."

I "think" I'm ready.

Are you?

carrie

Re: 24 hours to go

Post by carrie »

When I lived in the UK it used to take me ages to get ready for Christmas, curtains down washed and ironed, windows cleaned, all the cupboards sorted out, all the "special dishes out and washed" my Christmas table cloth found with the napkins, the house sparkling. All the shopping, present buying and wrapping. Felt worn out by the time the day came, spent hours making the pudding, Christmas cake and lunch took everyone about an hour to demolish it.
For the first time ever I have not put my Christmas tree up or any decorations, I have not this year invited anyone for lunch and to be honest I feel much more relaxed, I will do exactly what I want to do tomorrow, I think a visit to my favourite temple, Medinet Habu is on the cards.
Merry Christmas everyone from a Bah Humbug.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I definitely scaled down over the years but with the Grandkids I've up-scaled again. Their excitement about the holiday is contagious so I don't mind getting festive for them. The grandsons actually come over and put up my tree (enough decorations on some of the branches to topple it and the concept of spacing it all out isn't there yet but I honestly don't care at all about stuff like that) and have a blast doing it.

I have done NO baking whatsoever but did do a trip to the bakery and bought a few cinnamon buns, eclairs and a pound cake. They're in the freezer and may or may not come out. Two Christmas cards got sent out to 2 elderly relatives who are not online and bordering on shut ins so they always appreciate the cards and a letter that updates them on what is happening with life.

The Christmas tree will be down prior to New Years and put away 'til next year. I'm ready but in a fairly elaxed way having done only the minimum necessary ;) ;)

Am NOT heading out for Boxing Day either. The shops can sell out of everything but I am not battling crowds anymore at all. Am sure whatever is going to be on sale is not what I need.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

No rushing round for me today either! Whatever we haven't got, we will do without! I'm cooking a ham today and a curry for tonight, but not much else. Tomorrow will be ultra busy getting ready for Boxing Day when the family comes to us. Just two of us for Christmas lunch. Mind you, I nearly had a heart attack last evening when I went to cook the dinner! The ruddy cooker wouldn't ignite!!! Fortunately, it turned out to be the fuse in the plug! :o But I do know what I will be looking for in the new year. I can't complain because it's over 22 years old, but it was absolutely NOT the thing to go wrong on the 23rd December! :(
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have now noticed that my second favourite film ever is on TV, so I have a background of 'Gone With the Wind'! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I’m also all done and like Carrie I will be having a quiet Christmas and I will be thinking of you visiting Medinet Habu which is also my favourite, so stand in front of these beautifully done hieroglyphs and wish me a Prosperous New Year and I will be doing the same to you.

Also like Ruby S I will be cooking my Turkey crown later today and as traditionally Mrs H would have made me some pre Christmas Turkey sandwiches prior to a swift visit to the pub with my mate on Christmas Eve so that I would be “out from under her feet” while she finalised everything, I will be doing the same and no doubt a certain little doggy will join in. On a coincidence (or do cookers plan this?) mine has stopped igniting as well! Luckily I can use a gas igniter and reach in to light the oven.

LLL, I like the idea of the hats, I can just imagine you wearing one whilst brandishing your light sabre. I am the same regarding sales and have no desire to rush about with a load of lunatics hunting none existent bargains.

So like most of you I will be having a fairly quiet day and wish you all an enjoyable one whatever you are all doing. :up
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I shall be working as normal, but when I kick the staff out at 1pm, I shall then sit down and work out the timings for cooking the turkey crown and trimmings with military precision.

As for hats... I have worn a black santa hat with Bah Humbug all day, while Omar has a bright red one with flashing lights and merry Christmas across the front of his.

The only spirit of Christmas for me, is in a bottle in the drinks cupboard :wi
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

carrie wrote:Felt worn out by the time the day came, spent hours making the pudding, Christmas cake and lunch took everyone about an hour to demolish it.
For the first time ever I have not put my Christmas tree up or any decorations, I have not this year invited anyone for lunch and to be honest I feel much more relaxed, I will do exactly what I want to do tomorrow, I think a visit to my favourite temple, Medinet Habu is on the cards.
Merry Christmas everyone from a Bah Humbug.
I like your style Carrie :up And Med Habu on Christmas Day, that would suit me fine. Does Sayed still have the cafe opposite the entrance?

We have not hosted the family for some years now. We will be with daughter and family tomorrow the youngest son and family on Saturday.......sorted :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely café photo Grandad. I've been to that café. Was quite lovely :) Thanks for posting it, brought back memories.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Me too, sat there with some lovely Egyptian Meows strolling about, I always insisted that my driver Yaseen had his lunch with myself and Mrs H when we visited there, Medinet Habu was and always will be a favourite of mine, Good old Ram III ;)