Bugging me - Heart

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Bugging me - Heart

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I realize that language changes over time and lately the use of the world "heart" has been bugging me in that this word is replacing the world love ie. I heart that song, I heart you, I heart that pair of jeans (or whatever).

The use of this word is especially prevalent on the radio here and I've noticed now too a red heart is often inserted where the word love used to be printed.

Not sure why it is annoying me but it is. Wish I knew why people are so keen on using the word "heart" vs the word "love" ........ anybody know why? Is it happening in your neck of the world? And, an phrases that are stomping that last nerve?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Bugging me - Heart

Post by Horus »

This happens a lot here too. but I think its just iconography inasmuch as putting a 'heart' the symbol of love instead of the word, is like writing in text speak. They are not really saying "I Heart New York" it is still meant to be "I love New York" it's just an abreviation.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

But here they are now SAYING it out loud - "I heart you" or "You'll HEART this song" (almost heard exclusively on radio now)

Just sounds silly to me. I don't mind if you're using a heart instead of the word 'love' when you're texting or writing but I'm mostly whining that I don't like HEARING it said all the time.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: I am laughing because many years ago a couple of comediens 'French & Saunders' did a sketch where Dawn French was trying to be 'with it' and kept speaking the word Heart instead of Love when reading her friends Tee Shirt and would say "I heart New York". It was meant to sound stupid and it did, so if people are actually saying the word Heart instead of Love, they are either a bit dim and don't understand the symbolism or they are trying to set a new trend in our spoken language.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As if the English language is not comprehensive enough, we have a word for just about anything and everything. The sad fact is that if 'heart' is used sufficiently as a form of expression of love, it will find its way into the Oxford dictionary. Languages should GROW with changing times but things like this are just corruptions in my opinion. :(
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sadly they are actually saying the work "heart." It sounds truly stupid but it is becoming quite common. Am hoping it is a fad however the Radio Stations are really pushing this and verbalizing "heart" for anything and everything ..... "Don't cha just heart Christmas chocolate?" "I heart all the coloured lights"

Some words actually FIT and some even enhance the meaning of a thought, trend, concept but injecting "heart" instead of "love" sounds dim.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I find that we get many silly words usually from 'the street' and as I said, if used enough they become part of the language. Another that makes me cringe is 'I'm good' when you ask someone how they are, the normal greeting 'Hello, how are you? Response 'I'm good' yuk!

I think most of the 'new words' are coming from text speak, email abbreviation, and street talk.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Another one is 'Sick' to describe something desirable or that they really like, very weird :?:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here in the USA - "I BE good" is a pretty standard response :( I think it is all coming from text speak too and African eubonics doesn't much help here especially now that it is "cool" to take up the fight for "Black Lives Matter" (total unconditional support for Black people cause obviously all of us 'white' people have kept them down)

Could write a book about all the issues ....
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's true. all of us white people must continually beat ourselves with a stick in order to pay for all the transgressions and perceived slights and injustices inflicted upon just about everyone in the world, even though we were not even around at the time. :urm:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I had a golliwog, I used it as a football - - -