SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Post by Grandad »

I went to the village this morning, just along the road from where we live, for a newspaper and as I had a camera in the car I took a few snaps around the village green. When the daffs are out, spring is just around the corner. :up

I know I have shown this area before but not, I think, with the daffs out.

This pano is of a row of almshouses with the local pub, Ye Olde Beverlie, at the left hand end.

There is a bed of daffs in front of the almshouses and when I got a better angle I was able to make the flower bed look much larger with respect to the cottages.

Another one where I had to adopt a very low angle to obscure the road that passes just beyond the brick wall in the foreground.

Looking down towards the city the sun was shining through the remains of early morning haze emphasising the stark trees with the daffs along the wall heralding spring.

Am I getting a bit poetic in my old age. ;) :lol: :lol:

PS: Large text just for you Jay ;) ;)

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: SPRING HAS SPRUNG

Post by Horus »

Lovely photos Grandad and now that we have had a bit better weather here over the last few days our Daffs are starting to show there pretty heads, so I shall take your pictures as a challenge gauntlet thrown down to try and capture some just as good ................. or who knows, even better? ;) the challenge is on :lol: :lol:

PS. Print deliberateley left normal size so that Jay has to use 'Ctrl' + to make it bigger :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:PS. Print deliberateley left normal size so that Jay has to use 'Ctrl' + to make it bigger :lol: :lol:
Just a bit of 'tongue in cheek' H :lol:

Thanks for your comment H, the daffs are at their peak right now. Your challenge is accepted, I suppose I must now go and find some more 'spring' pictures.....I'll see what I can find. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lovely photos Grandad and that sure is one big planting of daffodils! The big plantings do make such wonderful displays though

We've had such a mild albeit wet spring all of our daffodils are mostly all out in full bloom now.

One thing about daffodils is that once the flowers are done it does take the leaves a long time to wilt back.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely pictures Grandad :) & good to see & feel spring is here :)

Love em solid looking high chimneys on the almshouses also noticed " Canterbury " on the monument in 2nd last picture........what does the cross atop symbolise ?

PS ....I like the big/bold print far easier for me too to read even with my glasses ;)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

YesGrandad, lovely to see the daffs, and your warty trees. What is the word on the pillar with the cross? What a pretty village. We dont have daffs. we have millions of white iris growing wild and the tiny purple ones. Horus, what are you ohHELP SEND ME EMAIL. CANT GET RID OF GIANT LETTERS --

Edit by Horus: Jay I have sent you an email and deleted the email address from this post :up
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

WOW. all I could see was 2 giant letters on the screen and I couldnt find the minus sign . . THANKYOU HORUS, even tho you should know better than to tell me to press stuff . . . It is now 11.34 - I thought we were on the same time as UK ? This wasnt easy to restore, as I pressed the minus button I had to go to the mouse and click the default notice, took a few tries before the page appeared properly.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Jayway if your asking about the wording on the 2nd last picture ...it says " Canterbury "
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ladies; you two and LLL are very observant when looking at pictures. Moreso than us blokes I think. ;)

The stone cross on a stone column was carved by the Cathedral stonemasons as one of the Millenium celebration symbols. It is The Canterbury Cross which is distinct in that it has four arms of equal length and the outside edges are curved to almost form a circle.

The precise location is said to have been a place of worship for more than 1000 years. On my newspaper trip last Sunday, 29 March, the congregation and choir paraded from the church which is just across the road, to hold part of their Palm Sunday service at that spot.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, not a case of being less observant and more a case of familiarity, we have an even older market square stone cross although I believe that our is a Saxon Cross, so it just didn’t trigger any response to me when seeing it.

Jay, you should have at least 2 sets of + & - keys on your standard keyboard. The most commonest to use will be on the numeric keypad, that is the little block of keys that have the numbers arranged in a square. Those keys are surrounded by other keys on the top and bottom and the right hand side, it is usually the top right and the one below it on that block that are the Plus & Minus keys + -
You should also have them duplicated again on your top row of the ordinary keys that have numbers AND symbols on them, usually they are on the extreme right next to the big left pointing arrow key.
You would normally have to press the SHIFT key to select this set of UPPER symbols such as + & - when typing, but in the case of making text larger you only have to hold down the CTRL key whilst pressing these keys and it will work.
The same applies if you use the symbols on the NUMERIC keypad.
TIP: You should only ‘stab’ the key to make it increase or decrease the text size a bit at a time, DO NOT keep the Plus or Minus key held down.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad. here are my first three contenders for the Daffs challenge, they are taken not far from where I live. The whole village green is usually covered in daffs, but at the moment they are not all out, so lots of greenery and more flowers to come. I took these today as I went out for a stroll alng the Macclesfield canal with Annie, just over a 5 mile walk and it was a lovely day.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

They are lovely Horus and some very nice old properties too. But come on, you could have got rid of that 30 sign. ;) :lol:

And you say five miles as if it is just down the road. I don't even walk to the paper shop now and that is less than half a mile. :(

I posted some of mine on a local FB group and one of the members responded that his grandma used to live in one of the cottages near the pub. he said she had a bakers oven in her living room. I hope whoever lives there is in the front garden sometime. I simply have to ask if that oven is still there. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree about that sign Grandad it looks 'orrible' but if I had removed it you would have accused me of doctoring the image and adding more Daffs :lol: :lol:
I don't always do 5 miles, most walks are maybe around 3, it just depends upon time available and where I may choose to go that day. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad thanks for the info on the column....interesting :)

And as for being observant I missed the sign post in Horus' picture staring me in the face but was drawn to the daffs & more so the houses in the background especially the one with the arched doorway :)

Nice pics Horus :)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Looks a lovely village and so many daffs. In the last picture the houses on the right are beautiful, shame about the houses on the left - Five miles? no wonder Annie has short legs . . :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Annie has always had short legs, but its hard to wear her out she is full of it when we are out, mind you she soon curls up and goes to sleep when we get back home, after her dinner of course ;)

The signs are something that has always annoyed me about that particular village green. It is actually set just off a main road (hence the more modern buildings in some pictures) and it is formed by two country type roads that enclose the green with the old hoses on either side. There is a nice village pub and a lovely church with a spire at the top end of the village, the roads of course will come under the Highways Department and they don't really have much regard for beauty and stick up signs just about anywhere and nothing is ever discreet or in keeping with local conditions. :vs
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The photos are lovely and it would be a difficult contest to judge. The daffs are finished here. I'll have my own planted this fall when the bulbs come in particularly now that I have a spot to plant them in!

I really love seeing big bunches of daffodils after they've naturalized in the landscape. They're about the only flowering plant the deer don't eat here.