A change or more of the same?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: A change or more of the same?

Post by Grandad »

Just an update on my eye problem.
I had an appointment yesterday afternoon at the local AMD clinic, just 10 days after seeing my optometrist for routine eye test. Pretty good going.
Over a period of two and a half hours I went through the whole diagnostic process with multiple still and video imaging of my eye. Including the insertion of a catheta for the introduction of a tracer dye into the bloodstream.
In the final analysis, the left (good) eye is beginning to show signs of Dry AMD which is put down to age and the eyes beginning to wear out. No treatment and only a 15% possibility that it will get much worse within the next five years. At 80 I am not worried about that.
The right (bad glaucoma) eye had developed a swelling of the macular, as detected by my optometrist (good man). This had actually burst and the conclusion was that, as I still have some vision in that eye, they will start a course of injections to try to save it.
I had the first injection in that eye, of Eyelea and have two more scheduled at 4 weeks frequency. Then after a further 4 weeks they will do the whole photo process again. So that will take me into May.
The whole process was very efficient and everyone in the clinic was very friendly. I know most of them on first name terms from taking my wife to the clinic every 6 weeks.
A 'Big Up' for the NHS. Superb service. :up :up

PS: The injections are £900 a time. Wow! :)

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well done our NHS, not half as bad as some would believe and the bad bits are usually down to government cut backs.
You certainly seem to have had a thorough going over Grandad which is just as well, so lets hope all the treatments gets a good result :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hoping all the end results are good for you Grandad :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just noticed I said 'catheter', of course I meant 'canular' but the result is much the same. I am still peeing a bright fluorescent yellow as my kidneys flush the dye out of my system. If I go to the bathroom at night and don't flush, I can see my way by a bright yellow glow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can see my way by a bright yellow glow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
As long as its not on your pants Grandad :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just an update on the eye situation. I have now had the three injections of Eylea and will go through the whole scanning process again at the end of the month. In the meantime Mrs G has her new glasses and I will get mine next week. Contrary to what I said earlier, I am having reactalite. We have both gone for rimless, vari focal, reactalite, with Varilux S lenses. I won't tell you the cost but as we both have some eye problems I decided to buy the best. Hers are superb and I expect mine will be the same.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you are both sorted now Grandad :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - Just read this now (still catching up) and was wondering how the new glasses are going? Did it take time for your eyes to adapt? Seeing better? How's it going?

I recently got my new glasses too. The 'fit' was perfect and it only took me an afternoon to make the visual adjustment. Seemed I did need new glasses and my eyes were very happy to be seeing at 100% again.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Never did finish the saga of the new glasses. I agreed that as Mrs G had had a difficult year with her eyes, having to give up driving, and have an injection in the better of her eyes each month, she could at least have a top quality pair of glasses. Don't ask the price but we could almost do a weeks holiday for what they cost.
Now I am going to give Horus the opportunity to say, with a wry grin, I told you so.

I also set out to spend quite a lot on new glasses at the same opticians as Mrs G. I like the shop, the people who work there and their professionalism. BUT for some reason they could not seem to get my prescription correct and after three eye tests and three sets of lenses I got my money back. This whole process was over a period of 2 months.

I went to the supermarket opticians that I have used for three years, got my new glasses today, after just 7 days and all is fine. Their opthal-whatsit asked me how I use my eyes, him knowing that one is just about useless, and as my computer is used so much he adjusted the vari focus, reactalites slightly and recommended that he prescribe a second pair just for the computer. Sounded good advice and I have now got a pair that work fine at arms length to the screen but are no good for anything else.

And the cost for two pairs was just a little over 25% of the 'expensive' glasses......I can hear you chuckling H ;) :up :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I TOLD YOU SO :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I found picking out glasses for me to be rather onerous. I don't like the new style modern glasses that have the heavy black frames, I don't like red/blue/pink/green/whatevercolour frames, must have nose pads and be essentially frameless which is (unfortunately) not really the style these days so it was quite difficult finding a pair that I liked, were comfortable and met my eye criteria.

Finally found a pair of eyeglasses that was just 'ok' and they're actually MENS and were in the fame department of Costco. They're comfortable enough and nobody has yet asked me why I'm wearing "mens" glasses (they really look more unisex than anything else) but the entire eyeglass experience was a bit trying and tiring.

Course I also find the same buying clothes/shoes/purses. I'd love to write down what I like and then have somebody shop for me. A body double would be perfect cause they could also go and try on and if it fits buy it for me. Guess I'm really not a shopper per se or should say not a shopper for clothes. Have no memory of ever really caring what is in style or fashion mostly I get what I like and my 'likes' are relatively flamboyant. I DO love colour and wear it well :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well done Grandad. :up

I spent a fortune on prescription glasses when my cataracts were developing - a pair and spare, distance, reading and sunglasses - necessary for working in Egypt.

However, when I had my cataracts done in Cairo, the consultant recommended that for reading I just bought off the shelf glasses by trial and error choose what I felt comfortable with. So at the hospital shop I bought a pair of Click glasses that go round the neck and open and close with magnets on the bridge of the nose. They were very robust, adjustable and round my neck or in use most of the time. I accidentally slept in them time without number over the last 5 years, but they've died at last. £40 well spent.

So yesterday I bought a new pair of conventional specs at the gift shop round the corner - lovely colour, strong and so comfortable better than ever! £8! :up
Smile! It confuses people