How Cold is COLD?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

How Cold is COLD?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Quite a nip in the air this morning when I opened the front door. Cold and dry and all the ground really crunchy. Yesterday it wasn't too bad here but today BRRRRRrrrrrr....... :vc: :vc:

Weather report says we're getting the edge of an Artic front coming down from the north. All day on the News there are weather warnings for people on the prairies to stay inside as this Artic cold front is bringing temperatures of MINUS 30 degrees. Add in the wind chill and it equals MINUS 45. Not safe to be outside.

I experienced extreme cold in northern Canada and there is honestly nothing more bone chilling cold that you can't shake out of your body. That was when I was young and in my prime and adventuresome and out to save the world. NOW I kinda find reaching Zero to be about as cold as I want to experience.

How COLD have you been?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: How Cold is COLD?

Post by Horus »

Our local temperatures have dropped over the last few days and we are getting around -4 which is as cold as I want it to get, my central heating system has been on for weeks now and so everywhere is nice and warm, unlike last year when my boiler had packed in working :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On Boxing Day the son in law came over and put in a fan on my gas electric heater plus I have the small infrared furnace plus the house has a heat pump too. We're talking WARM this year!! Last year I was freezing to death in the other place. Electric baseboard heat alone just isn't sufficient to keep warm.

Still quite cold and chilly out there today. Brought the hummingbird feeders in last night as they'd of been solid blocks of ice this morning.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I was told that it was -8C last night in my neck of the woods! :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I don't think it went much below freezing here last night but there must have been a lot of moisture in the air because this morning everywhere, even the roads, were covered white.
The boiler stat didn't want to switch off last evening so todays DIY job was to test it and replace it. That meant the system was switched off for a couple of hours. Why do all women always think these are 'Just' jobs. It'll only Just take a few minutes, 'won't it?' Grrrrr :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Why do all women always think these are 'Just' jobs. It'll only Just take a few minutes, 'won't it?' Grrrrr :lol:
Because we men are so skilled at sorting these problems that the little women just take our expertise for granted Grandad ;) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just means you guys (Horus and Grandad) are way too good at what you do! Way too savvy and smart so having something fixed in a Jiffy becomes expected ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Just means you guys (Horus and Grandad) are way too good at what you do! Way too savvy and smart so having something fixed in a Jiffy becomes expected ;)
LLL, I think Horus and me are from an era when it was normal to do all your own repairs, and house and car maintenance. Today I find that none of my three children or their other halves have the interest or ability to do these things. Nowadays they just call a tradesman.

I may have mentioned before that, pre teens, I made a crystal set and would lay in bed listening to the radio. A long way from the devices that young people have grafted to the palm of their hands today.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I can only agree with Grandad on this, I always fixed my own stuff and would spend hours repairing things, I suppose I also learned a lot from my father by watching him do jobs. However for some reason or another the youngsters of today are happy to live in a throw away society, easy come and easy go, my own grandson will come in and without even batting an eyelid will tell his mum that he has just lost/broken his mobile phone and can she get him another one?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x And ....................... she usually does :st
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I cant complain much of the cold weather up here although we are at most times colder than you south of the border, I guess we are hardened to it ;)

I always dress cosy with my winter coat, gloves & scarf if & when out but hey ho winters are not so bad nowadays as I remember as a kid :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And guess who also got a new long scarf and leather gloves for Crimbo? ................................. Me!!!!!! :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

That will sure to keep you warm :)

You know what I knitted Roy a beautiful blue cable stitched long scarf a few weeks ago ready for him when he went off shore Norway & guess what...........he thinks its too thick............how can that be in freezing Norway!!!!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Theres no pleasing these young un's ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Some day he will be glad of it ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Mmmm, I'm seriously thinking of getting one of my knitting machines going! Going upstairs to the bathroom is like going to Siberia! How jealous am of I of all you people with your centrally heated houses! :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its great until you get the gas bill RS :sd
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd totally love to have a wood burning stove back. Those might have been pretty labour intensive but they definitely threw out wonderful hot heat. Grew up with them all my life and it has really only been the last 8 or 9 years that I haven't had one. Miss that kind of heat in this kind of cold.