With love from me to me

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

With love from me to me

Post by Horus »

I don’t often splash out on myself but I thought what the heck. You see I have this (what I consider to be) a wonderful conservatory that opens out into the garden, it is quite large and I built it myself some years back. We used to often sit out there in the better weather and just let the world slide by with maybe a glass or two, it is very well equipped and only this year I installed a complete new set of cane furniture to replace the old stuff. We have in the past had all sorts of great evenings with friends and neighbours, usually some special occasion like a birthday or even just a spontaneous event that usually turned out to be great fun. For obvious reasons I have not made a lot of use of it recently and much to my shame I even let the garden go a bit as I had little interest in using it. However with the coming new year I have decided that I will get the garden back in shape again (weather permitting) and install the one thing my conservatory always needed …………………. A Jukebox.

Yes That’s right a Jukebox, I have always wanted one ever since I could remember, they hold so many happy memories and they look great. Music is something I enjoy a lot and I love music from most eras especially the 60’s & 70’s, I find them very nostalgic and remind me of a very happy period in my life. Now although I could actually fit one in there I realise that the practicalities of a full size one would have a few drawbacks, namely the price which run into several thousands of pounds to buy and of course keeping it maintained and supplied with the hundreds of 45’s I would need to fill it. Maybe if I won the lottery I would not hesitate, but for now it’s a compromise.

I decided to treat myself to a modern ‘retro style’ reproduction that will play CD’s and MP3 files, it also has a built in radio, everything looks very 50’s ‘Wurlitzer’ style with coloured changing lights in enclosed tubes similar to the original design and lots of gaudy chrome on the outside. The biggest difference is size, this will fit on a table top and of course the price, this has cost me several hundreds of pounds instead of many thousands. So that is my Christmas present from me, to me.

I intend (if possible) to set it up in such a way that I can select at the push of a button a compilation of songs to suit any particular era or genre that takes my fancy and I am currently engaged in ripping off hundreds of music tracks from the web. So if I throw a party I can hit one selection, or if I just want to sit with a beer on a Summer evening listening to some good old Rock & Roll I can do so. As I also like to have a radio on while I am working around the house or garden it should double up for that purpose. I have not yet decided upon a home for it and may need to make a couple of changes to accommodate it, but my new conservatory furniture has a couple of glass topped side tables and I can see one of them fitting the purpose very nicely as a base. Also in that location I can have it playing throughout the house and also into the garden with the patio doors open. It also has an auxiliary input socket so I could connect other devices through it, but that’s for later.

As I said, I have always wanted one and this looks like a good compromise, it should arrive within the week so I am now looking forward to it arriving and hopefully I will not be disappointed.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: With love from me to me

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A JUKE BOX????? :o

Am so very glad you elaborated that you have purchase a new old retro model as I was envisioning at the start of your Thread one of those big old monsters that would take up 2 conservatories to fill! That being said they are definitely classics in their own right complete with lights, buttons and a STYLE all their own.

Will definitely add a touch of DASH to you style Horus! :) You'll have to forward photos etc once your new toy arrives :) :)

The music you will enjoy will definitely be worth it and if you use your conservatory as you say it'll definitely be a good spot for it and a great conversation piece :up :up

Found this site: http://www.jukeboxonsale.com/

Just interesting in the photos of Jukeboxes.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thats the one LLL, mine has a similar look to the 6th image down and has the 'Rockola/Wirlitzer' look about it :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

What a lovely pressie to yourself, you deserve it :) hope to see it when up & running..............we know where to come for next years New Year party ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gee - I never thought about that - coming for New Year's Eve but good idea Kiya! ;) Horus will definitely have his conservatory all spiffed up by then too :) Will be more than a fab New Years! AND - now we're guaranteed the music will be terrific!

Definitely a lovely prezzie from you to you - but - also definitely going to give you a terrific conversation piece and lovely music you can enjoy.

I like the idea that you can program in advance what you'd like to listen to and/or put your favs into an order that you like to hear them in.

Great idea you had for you H!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Nostalgia H, nostalgia. :up ;) :lol:

I shall be there in my 'brothel creepers' but there is not enough on top for a big quiff these days. :)))

Great idea for a ME present and it is going to work out just fine. As the girls have said, a piccie will be anticipated. ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That is the great thing about MP3 music files LLL, they are quite small. :up The purists will try to tell you that they do not sound as good as a vinyl record track, but to be honest anyone over about 25 years of age would be hard pushed to tell the difference unless their hearing was perfect. This means you can fit hundreds of tracks onto a single CD or a memory card so my total choice of songs is infinite. It has a concealled CD player on the front so it would be easy enough to just pop on say a CD with all 60's hits and it would play for several hours without repeating anything. It also takes Memory cards so I am hoping that the menu allows for a folder type selection, if it does I can also select a given folder to suit the occasion and it will just get on with it. So basically you select the folder to suit your mood, lazing on a Summers day then maybe a bit of a classical selection, having a party then maybe a bit of varied stuff that everyone knows and sings along with or on a personal level break it down into popular eras from the 60's to maybe the 80's. I may even set it up with every number 1 chart hit or most popular songs from each year from 1958 through to say 2000. :up

Edit: just seen your post Grandad and the string tie, velvet collared mid length coat and brothel creepers are at the ready, I can still manage a quiff, although nowdays I tend to wear my hair quite short. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A Quiff? A what? Are we talking the sausage roll that adorned Elvis the Pelvis Presley? ;)

Actually I way behind the tech ages in music. Love listening to it but have never been able to figure out how to download, copy etc. I have CDs I listen to and mostly I listen to music on Utube however that takes lots of enjoyment time as at the end of each and every song you have to pick another one.

I too enjoy music from about the 60ies on to somewhere around 2000. Can't say that much of the new new stuff appeals. I do get the odd song I enjoy but I haven't purchased NEW music in the last decade.

A Jukebox is an excellent idea of a Me for Me though and IS definitely going to be a terrific conversation piece - everybody loves vintage :up And having the ability to put on hours of music so you don't have to continually fuss with it is great. And the evenings are endless - Christmas carols for a winter night of sing-alongs, summer Hawaiian Luau, lazy day of easy listening ...... Good prezzie you got for you :P :P
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: @ LLL, if by sausage roll you are thinking of the bulge in Elvis'es pants then you would be wrong :lol: :lol: A quif is the part of the male hairstyle that bunches up at the top of the forehead and falls forwards.

I just recieved notification from the carriers that it may be delivered tomorrow :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nice that your prezzie has arrived in time for you to get it set to ROCK IN the New Year!

The sausage I was referring to wasn't the one in Elvis the Pelvis pants :roll: it was the roll of hair he had on the top of his head. Haven't heard of a quiff although I have heard of a coiff and occasionally have quaffed a drink. Common term here for the swooped up hair on top of a man's head that vaguely rolls and falls forward is known as a "sausage" here :o :P :P
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, I am desperately trying to resist the urge to say "When I was younger I used to have a large sausage" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:LLL, I am desperately trying to resist the urge to say "When I was younger I used to have a large sausage" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now called 'The Droop' :))) :)))
Horus wrote: Edit: just seen your post Grandad and the string tie, velvet collared mid length coat and brothel creepers are at the ready, I can still manage a quiff, although nowdays I tend to wear my hair quite short. ;)
Bit of an old Teddy Boy then were we H. ;) :lol:

And do you remember the Mods and Rockers gathering at places like Brighton Southend and Margate on bank holiday weekends? And for us in the London area there was The Ace Cafe on the North Circular Road, wher the rockers used to race to the next roundabout and back. Too many memories H but get that juke box up and running and we will all meet up at your place before going on to Kiyas. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I was also a 'Rocker' Grandad, couldn't stand those woosie Mods on their little scooters and scruffy Parkers, they sounded like sewing machines as they struggled to reach 70 MPH, maybe it was all those wing mirrors they used to add on, mind you they had to do something to make them look better than girlie transport :lol: :lol: I would take great delight in cruising past clad in my black leathers on either my BSA or Triumph and leaving them eating my dust! :xx :lol: :lol:
Real men rode Motorbikes, Wussies sat side saddle on scooters. :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All those lovely 'Made in Great Britain' bikes H. :up

Beezas, Nortons, Triumphs, Velos, Ariels, the list goes on and now they are all gone. :(
My first was a 1934 Rudge, same age as me but I must confess to going on to two strokes but of course they became something a lot more exciting than the Vespas of the mods. :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hey Horus & Grandad is this what you are calling a " Quiff " men's hairstyle if so up here we called it the " Blow wave "

My brother David that was on holiday with me has been a massive fan of Elvis all his life & I'm sure his hair style was always copied from Elvis even to this day though there's not so much on top it's still done in that style.

A couple o' pics of David I think from his very early twenties

5762 5763
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@Grandad, yes the good old British bikes :up you can still get Triumphs in all models and sizes and to my surprise 'Matchless' made I think in India, I spent a happy hour or so browsing in a Motorbike shop a couple of months back and it was full of 'new' old model bikes, there was even a Vellocette although I forget the actual model, 'Viper' or maybe 'Venom', I was in heaven :lv

@ Kiya, yes the 'blow wave' was very popular, but if I remember correctly it was flatter than the 'Quiff' which was combed higher and required longer hair as it was combed back over again.
As we speak I am listening to Connie singing "I'm Sorry" on my Jukebox :ks
PS just kicked in with "It's the end of the world"
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Hey you guys your not the only ones that went around on motor bikes ;)

My very first boyfriend I went out with for 6 years owned a few bikes, his first one I remember was a Honda just a 250cc though, the one I loved was the Norton 650cc, boy that bike could move, when I think back the speeds we used to go, the chances we would take makes me shudder now :o

And oh yes was all clad out in the leather gear & helmets, did I hold on to him....course not but I did the handle behind me.

They were really fun exciting days :) :)

Sorry no pics :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

HONDA Kiya? Never heard of them. ;) ;)

My dream bike was a Vincent like this Black Shadow

Never had one of course. :( :(

My Rudge was like this one only in maroon. 500cc twin ports like the Ulster.

STOP TRIGGERING ALL THESE MEMORIES H ;) :up :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

That Black Shadow looks a beauty ;) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh no! I have just wet myself looking at that piccie of the Black Shadow :oops:

Kiya, now your talking 650 Nortons :up

How about this gorgeous Gold Star with its classic exhaust system

Oh No! now we are talking exhausts I will have to find the classic 'Fishtail' one on the Velocettes!