POLITICS OR CURRENT AFFAIRS?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

POLITICS OR CURRENT AFFAIRS?

Post by Grandad »

Politics or Current Affairs?
We only occasionally touch on politics and don’t get into serious debate and I believe that is a sensible approach to avoid political arguments that can get very heated. Pondering my thoughts on this Saturday afternoon, I am putting forward my comments below as ‘Current Affairs’ with a political edge.

Our current government has promised a referendum in 2017 on our continued membership of the EU. (Assuming that they get re-elected of course). The reason for the delay is obvious in that it would give David Cameron a couple of years to re-negotiate the terms of our membership in the hope that it would provide more acceptable terms which would satisfy those currently dis-enchanted with the EU and Brussels edicts in particular.

A fly in that ointment is the fast growing UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party) whose principal aim is to get out of the EU. They are fast gaining popularity with significant wins in European and Local elections. Their leader, Nigel Farage (already an MEP) has now decided to stand for parliament in next Mays general election. His cause got a big boost during the week with the defection from the Conservatives to UKIP of Douglas Carswell thus forcing a by-election in the constituency of Clacton in Essex.

This is a real blow to Cameron because Carswell has a record of going against the party line in matters related to Europe and he is now in a position to openly express his views without the suppression of party whips. He will stand in his Clacton constituency as a UKIP candidate and the signs are that he could win because ‘the man’, and not his former party, is popular in Clacton.

There are now rumbles that if he wins, probably next month, there are other MP’s from both sides of the house ready to join him and defect from their parties because they are disillusioned with the governments stance on Europe. So David Cameron MUST be having sleepless nights right now. :lol:

Most Brits are fed up with the continual drip drip of legislation coming out of Brussels which is forcing the UK to introduce laws to fall into line with these Brussels edicts. We are fast losing our sovereignty and becoming ‘ruled’ by Brussels. The latest is the ban on domestic vacuum cleaners over 1600 watts from next week. This will be followed by a similar ban on hairdriers, kettles and electric lawn mowers; all in the cause of saving energy. I think that is a load of rubbish because there is no doubt that more powerful machines do the job more quickly and possibly use less power or at least a similar amount to the lower powered machine.

Defection of MP’s to UKIP and the directives from Brussels will have a significant impact on how people vote next May and, even if the Conservatives do win most seats in the general election, it could well be UKIP that becomes their bedfellows in a coalition……Could DC ever swallow that one. :?: :?: :?:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: POLITICS OR CURRENT AFFAIRS?

Post by Horus »

The biggest problem that the British public has with all politicians is that they all lie and worse still they all have to toe the party line via the whips or lose the party support. This is a system designed to make our official representatives compliant to the party leaders or suffer the consequences, it is even openly said that the chief whips actually use blackmail tactics on the most wayward MP’s in an attempt to force them into voting the way that they should or from not rocking the boat. So every little peccadillo is noted down in some chief whips diary to be used as ammunition at a later date and effectively stifle any opposition from within the ranks.

I agree with Grandads analysis of the current situation and think that many more MP’s who know they will be ditched in the next general election may well be considering their party loyalty and defect to UKIP. That would please me greatly as the current lot from all main stream parties need a good kick up the backside, the only downside is that they will not be forming the next government and the Tory party are the only one offering a referendum, so if they don’t get in again then we don’t get the opportunity to vote on the issue. Of course if Cameron was really serious about a vote (which he isn’t) then he has had lots of opportunities to use the present dissatisfaction in the UK to pressure the EU for those changes he does not need to win another election before he does so, once again another political lie to ensure re-election.

If he was really serious then when the rest of the EU gave him the middle finger by voting in the most Euro Federalist president that they could against Cameron’s wishes even though many other countries did not like the choice, but still voted him in as a gesture of defiance towards the UK’s concerns. At that point anyone with the balls to take on the EU and the political will to do so would have had most of the UK population behind them in whatever actions they implemented towards the EU, it was a perfect opportunity to say “This is exactly the sort of undemocratic appointment and bureaucratic decision making that we object to and as our concerns are being ignored then I will start the process for an in/out vote on our EU membership, this will be held in the United Kingdom with immediate effect” “In addition we will be withholding any further contributions to the EU budget until the result of the ballot is known” I bet that would set a few cats amongst the pigeons. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

But as you say Horus, even when most of the UK would be behind them, none of them have the balls......except that is the Shadow Chancellor, ED BALLS ;) :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Nice one Grandad
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada