Living with different time zones

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Living with different time zones

Post by Grandad »

In the UK our main European contacts are 1 hour ahead (except Jayway who is on the same time as us :lol: ). That is easy to manage because all of the UK is on the same time zone.

I am looking forward to watching the Canadian F1 Grand Prix which starts here at 7pm. That is 2pm Montreal time and I believe, 11am LLL's Pacific time (or are you on mountain time?)

It raised a question in my mind about the impact on business, banking etc in countries like Canada and the US with 3 or 4 timezones. ie. If LLL was working in the west how would that impact on doing business with companies in the east?

Just a thought but it would seem that you have a nutually shortened day for business???

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Living with different time zones

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm in the Pacific Time Zone. Mountain is one hour ahead of me.

All our guys here who have anything to do with the stock exchange start work at incredible wee hours of the morning but are gone home by 1pm/2pm as the New York Stock exchange closes 1pm our time. Banks stop 'fixing' the daily exchange rate on our $$ at 4pm. Other than that we're waiting for the rest of the world to catch up to our time.

It was difficult for me to talk to my daughter when I was working because she lives back east meaning by the time I got home from work at 5pm she was often getting ready for bed.

The most difficult aspect of time zone changes is during political elections. Years ago in the day of the dinosaur when I first start to vote in elections I often knew who had won the election prior to me even voting. As the polls closed back east and ballots counted they were also broadcast so the west knew technically who won before our polls closed. Now there is a total blackout on this and unfortunately I believe the east has to wait until time passes and we vote before they're allowed to start publicizing their counts. That way nobody knows who the winners are. *Are elected officials winners when they win an election? I guess so but the word win momentarily gave me pause cause are they really "winning" in the sense of getting a prize?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I hadn't really thought about national events like elections LLL. That did become very evident with the recent EU elections. Our poling day was on Thursday when for the rest of Europe it was Saturday. Our ballots had to be sealed and not counted until the other European countries had closed their polling stations. Then because that ran over into Sunday, the Scottish Islands will not count on Sunday so they protracted our UK final result until Monday. :lol:

Here's a thought. If people in the west bought national lottery tickets, wouldn't that open an opportunity for us all to be millionaires :)))
:gg:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

That thought struck me too, Grandad! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Believe me am sure the lottery idea has been thought about! ;)

In Canada there are time zones that go on the even hour with the exception of Newfoundland. That Province (also the butt of many jokes for many years due to their backward living) only changes time by 30 minutes! They're totally out of step with the rest of the world!

**re: Newfoundland - now in a PC world I don't know if Newfie jokes are kosher or not. Most of the people living in Newfoundland came from France & Ireland. They were extremely hard working but had NO amenities at all so many grew up reading by candle light, outhouses etc while the rest of us were enjoying these. The "Rock" as it is known was extremely poor, illiteracy very high and living conditions very difficult. When Newfoundland joined Canada (the last Province to join) and the cod fishing slowed down (which was the main industry there) there was a massive influx of men floating their way across Canada looking for work. They all have extremely distinct accents, lived by colloquialisms, dressed different and had no clue re: modern amenities. This caused the jokes to start - BUT - it was a different world way back then and the jokes were mostly based on their words, accents and behaviours.

My son - this is very typical of how they speak to this day. For example - The "my son" = "mate." This clip is very watered down as to what some of the hard drinking hard working redneck Newfies used to sound like.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

** How come the "video" function isn't working for me? **
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It does now LLL :up but that is because I have made a slight change to your post. When you added the link you correctly used the 'Video' link by clicking on the button above the message box, you then pasted your link between the two square brackets [video][video] which was correct, but if you look closely at your own link (I have left it in above the video I put in for you) you will see that there is a single space after the first [Video] and before http: etc. This single small error is enough to make the line of code required to autoplay the video to be unreadable, it is easily done ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ooops! Thanks H :)