My world is Yellow

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

My world is Yellow

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It's that time of year again and 'yellow' is everywhere. If you're not an allergy sufferer the 'cytisus' aka Broom definitely brightens the countryside however if pollen is a bother then you'll suffer mightily this time of year. The bright yellow does make the landscape brighter and there are even cultivated garden varieties of this plant but these guys grow wild.

Only had my little hand held camera so this was the best close up of the flowers I could get

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: My world is Yellow

Post by Horus »

I like to see Broom when it flowers (we are a little earlier in the UK with ours) very similar to Gorse but without the spikes :o
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It was the same here in yellow coming back from the city on the bus, I mean the rape seed looked a beautiful yellow especially with the glorious sunshine lately.

LLL I cant say I know the yellow plants but, on saying that do I know any ........nope ;)

Horus that " gorse " you mention...... is that normally green, spiky & sticky? if so I get that appearing under my pine tree, it is normally easy to pull out though :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, no the Gorse is a small to largish bush very much like Broom at a distance but it has very spikey stems if you try to pick it. I know the sort of plant you mean that is growing under the tree and it is a wildflower, probably 'Meadow Vetchling' from how you describe it.
Choccy

Post by Choccy »

Isle of Skye is the place to see beautiful Gorse and Broom in flower, the whole Island has many bushes. you can also get broom in a lovely deep maroon this too is beautiful in bloom.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Choccy - have never seen maroon broom. Sometimes there is a red splash in the throat of the flower but you only see it when you get up close. There are some 'domestic' varieties of this plant that are actually sold in nurseries here. One is extremely flat to the ground with a more orange coloured flower. This combined with the cottonwood trees can really play havoc with allergies here.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have seen it in a colour close to what Choccy describes, I reckon the soil condition has something to do with it.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus wrote:Kiya, no the Gorse is a small to largish bush very much like Broom at a distance but it has very spikey stems if you try to pick it. I know the sort of plant you mean that is growing under the tree and it is a wildflower, probably 'Meadow Vetchling' from how you describe it.

Okey dokey ....thanks, I'll do a google & see if it looks the same.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

These are a different type of yellow that is now blooming in my backyard. I've always been partial to sedums. They're so easy to grow and such lovely colours when they flower. My backyard seems ideally suited to them as it gets fully afternoon sun and gets well beyond warm. It shoots to hot.

I don't remember the name of this perennial - I 'think' it is coreopsis (but I could be wrong). It definitely likes the backyard and has flowered out nicely.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely bright flowers, I bet they attract a few insects ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Happily I'm getting bumble bees! I LOVE to see bumble bees but I do not like to see wasps or hornets which I had last year. They make paper nests and even if the nest is teeny tiny you get them angrily buzzing about to protect them.