What would U do - Life decision - ???

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

What would U do - Life decision - ???

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We've talked some about the situation happening in Sudan where Meriam Ibrahim has been asked to renounce her faith or face death. In other situations we've seen soldiers captured and forced to renounce their country, loyalties etc.

Personally I've been mulling this over. Suppose I was travelling wherever, grabbed, denounced as a Christian and told unless I denounced being Christian I'd be put to death. I have to say that while I admire Meriam and I do admire her very much however I don't think I'd be that strong. I think for the immediate I'd say whatever was required of me however soon as I was released and away I'd go right back to doing and being whatever I was before. I think my own survival need would surface and I'd want to live to be there for my family. I'd want to shout from the rafters what happened to me and seek justice on the perpetrators.

If you were in a similar situation what would you do?

Choccy

Re: What would U do - Life decision - ???

Post by Choccy »

Depends on how strong your religious belief's are. I know what I personally think of what is happening to this poor woman.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

To me it's a no brainer, just agree with whatever the fanatics wanted it means absolutely nothing and if you are being coerced into something by force then you have every right to protect your own interests by lying or cheating them in return, after all it is they who have committed the sin against you and your beliefs, if you happen to have any, alternatively they are committing a crime against your person. I would even go a step further as in the case of the Nigerian girl captives and let them know that as they are ostensibly committing that act against Christians singled out for that very purpose, then when they are eventually captured as many will be or shot in ensuing battles, that similar disrespect will be shown for their own beliefs when their bodies are disposed of or when serving prison time.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Quite agree H. If I was grabbed and told I had to say whatever I would as whatever they wanted me to say would hold no meaning to me and I'd comply until I could get free, get away, escape (then I'd return for revenge with a vengeance). Guess I've been kinda mulling why this woman didn't just agree with those idiots in the first place. Comply, they'll go away and then you can bring the entire matter to light, expose them, ignore them - whatever.

I guess I'm not an ardent enough believe to hold firm at all costs. I'd like to think I'd adopt whatever rational approach was needed and then explain or figure it all out later.

I rather wonder how this scenario got as advanced as it has.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I suppose it depends on your stregnth of belief, I admire those that refuse to renounce their religious beliefs but I'm afraid I would not be one of them. Surely your God who ever he/she be would understand and forgive.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's my point too Carrie, why be a martyr when you are subjected to coercion and brutality? the perpetrators don’t care if you die, so why throw away your life needlessly and any religion that advocates that you do so is not worth belonging to in the first place. If it was not so serious it would make you laugh out loud that mere mortal men can claim to know the thoughts and desires of a god they have never met or spoken to directly and just accept a myth handed down by other men who wish to perpetuate the same myth over subsequent generations, usually with the threat of eternal damnation if you don’t join in. :dv
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

You hit the nail on the head Carrie. That is exactly what I've been thinking in this matter. Why not just throw up your hands and tell 'em you've seen the way and are a convert. Put on an act and then asap you can be gone to live your life as you want. This woman has a 2 year old and is pregnant with another. Are their lives not worth living for? Personally I'd lie just to get them off my back and then give them a "Royal Salute" soon as I was on my merry way. And if anybody doesn't understand that would be their problem not mine. I'd happily concede they go take my place and go right ahead and die for their beliefs.

I've seen, on TV News, a few time when they've shown captured soldiers or other captives reading messages denouncing the USA or whatever. Does anybody really believe these guys would do this unless subjected to horrendous torture? AND even if they were struggling through the torture what will it get them in the end? I mean who would really think less of them for saying they've converted, the USA is poop or whatever the captors are trying to get them to say.

I'm not saying I'd fold at the drop of a hat but if I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel then I'm gonna do whatever it takes to save me.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You do have to think that these people who force captives to read messages are only deluding themselves 8)
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

This is all too silly, I would never be a martyr, I find religions ridiculous and was regularly thrown out of the class to sit in the corridor in junior school for arguing with the teachers. I did become a favourite of the head as he gave me photos to copy of his childrens ponies - - to keep me occupied ! This is a catholic country but the only time the church is full is for funerals - -