Multiple Wives and Welfare

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Multiple Wives and Welfare

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Spurred on by a comment I read on the Blue side re: UK Muslim men getting gov't financial support for having more than one wife I was curious so I Googled it myself and all I can say is "Really?" :o :o :o

I had no idea this was happening in the UK and am still sitting in astonishment that there is a gov't department in the UK issuing funds to Muslim men living in the UK for their EXTRA wives living in Egypt? Who, in the name of all that is holy, would have ever granted that request?

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. If there hadn't been so many hits when I Googled this topic I'd find it hard to believe.

Glyphdoctor

Re: Multiple Wives and Welfare

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Why are they getting welfare to support even one wife abroad? Why are non-citizens getting welfare payments? The British complain about their welfare system all the time but I don't see them doing anything to change it.

I googled it and while I do find about them getting welfare for multiple wives in the UK, I don't find any examples of wives abroad getting it. Do you have a link?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Darn, I didn't keep the links I read earlier. I never heard about this practice but the entire 'multiple wife' and getting support payment for all of them is ridiculous IMO.

Just found this link: http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3234/ ... e-benefits and this one too
http://www.jihadwatch.org/2008/02/uk-ca ... iple-wives

If I find what I was reading earlier I'll post it.
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

But where does it say they can get money if they live abroad?
A-four

Post by A-four »

I would be aware of many of the political headlines, that really have no substance, which are coming out at the moment. There is an important debate going on with regards the European Union, and whether the benefits out way the costs of membership.

Then again, there are always two sides of an argument, it's a pity so many in Britain, don't see this.b
carrie

Post by carrie »

Surprises me because as a British citizen living in Egypt my Gov pension has been frozn since I first got it. Just because I live here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Why are they getting welfare to support even one wife abroad? Why are non-citizens getting welfare payments? The British complain about their welfare system all the time but I don't see them doing anything to change it.
I doubt if you are best placed to comment on UK benefits and the attitude of British people Glyph. But this is another example of what I have been referring to as pussy footing or pandering to minorities (with the objective of winning votes)

As for doing nothing about it, just wait and see the results of the upcoming Local and EU elections next Thursday. I am sure that you will see an overwhelming movement towards those parties, UKIP in particular, who have manifestos to stop the open door policies and to revise or opt out of the EU.
:gg:
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Fair enough, I'll rephrase it. The complaints that I personally hear most frequently from UK citizens about their own country involve benefits of various kinds and the feeling that other people (never the complainers it seems) receiving them don't deserve/need them for a variety of reasons. Contrast that with Egypt, where people complain that the government isn't doing enough for them personally. It's a very different mindset.

As for pandering to minorities....well if it wins them the vote then the minorities are actually the majority. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As Grandad points out it is down to a constant pandering to minorities and their customs. UK law will say for example that a certain grant is available for say a spouse regardless of her domicile, similar to Carries pension payment. Someone then spots a loophole and challenges it under the ‘Human Rights’ act or similar and claims that as they have several wives they are entitled to several times the payment, as we are only allowed one wife at a time under our laws it was never conceived to work in this way, but weak willed politicians do little or nothing about it because of them playing the racist card.

As part of the EU we were inundated with Poles coming here to work, mostly unaccompanied males, but they were entitled to child support (a standard UK family allowance) even though their kids were still in Poland with their mother. Perhaps after reading a few of the abuses that go on within the UK she will finally start to realise just why the average Brit has had enough of uncontrolled immigration and EU membership.
A-four

Post by A-four »

The problem in Britain, is quite simple, the term benefit, as far as the older people see it, really means charity, the various governments here over the years, have used this term vigorously. For example when you pay into a national insurance system, you become ENTITLED to claim on that such policy. Further more, if your personnel needs required it, you could claim an extra allowance or SUPPLEMENTARY allowance. The two words here that I have highlighted, will be familiar to older people who ever claimed on this, in the distant past.

With reference to your comparison Glyph, you know full well that poverty is measured very differently on a nation by nation basis. At the moment in Switzerland, they are holding a referendum on a minimum wage of 4,000 Swiss francs (£2,680 - $4,470) PER MONTH.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The thing that you forgot to mention A4 is that all these extras you speak of are means tested, so even for the basic pension top up that test would apply to existing pensioners, although new pensioners will be automatically entitled to the higher rate of pension irrespective of savings and income. So for today’s pensioners it is dependant upon your savings and other income, so it is not available to you otherwise regardless of how well you know the system.
A-four

Post by A-four »

Ah the old means tested, again here this depends on what they call 'under the old rules', for old claimants this will apply.

With regards your comment on State Pensions Horus, I have about five or perhaps seven years to go, it is my belief that within that time this pension will become means tested, some would say, and rightly so. However I have paid into this PENSION SCHEME all my adult life, and I intend to get what I am ENTITLED to.

Millions of hard working Brits have for over 20 years, been encouraged to save through Tessa's and Issa's, with really little return. Should such a person with one of these products finds himself unemployed, he can not claim under his entitlement of the old system, being that under the rules of these products of savings, you MUST give your National Insurance No, therefore the government already know how much money you have. Today, this is one of the main components as to why unemployment is low in the U.K.

When they means test the State Pension, and they will, the same as written above will apply. If a country, the sixth richest in the world can be so crafty, then so should its citizens,.......be careful where you put your savings.
Choccy

Post by Choccy »

Under the bed A4 especially at today's interest rates in the UK. The Banks want your money, but are unwilling to give anything in return, apart from Foreclosures, and maybe Bailiff's dropping in for a cuppa. :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree entirely with you A4 that if you have paid in then you are fully entitled to your pension, but you or anyone else will not get passed a means test for any additional payments over and above the basic state pension regardless of where you stash your money, unless of course you wish to break the law as many people do and give false information. That of course would be your decision and I am not implying that you would, only to say that unless you give false information or illegally conceal income from the taxman then you are guilty of a criminal offence under UK law.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm just hoping that all that I paid into over my working career is still available to me when I finally reach the ripe old age of 67 and can claim. The age of 65 was held out to me for 59 years and then suddenly changed to 67 when ages were re-calculated and I missed the cut off by 2 months and 8 days. Why I worry it will still be available is that some gov't decisions have involved "borrowing" from some of the Funds I have paid into. IMO these should NEVER EVER NEVER have been touched and I definitely do NOT trust the wisdom or ethics of the politicians doing the borrowing so they could make payments in other social welfare programs they promised to pay. (Not happy about this borrowing :x )

The whole thing of apply for "Benefits" really boils down to applying to borrow money taken from one person and given to another. I totally OBJECT STRENUOUSLY to giving what I have worked for to some very able bodied adult who simply CHOSE NOT TO WORK. I strongly strongly STRONLGLY believe we all have choices and just because you CHOSE not to work doesn't mean I have any obligation to support you.

With mass unskilled immigration being allowed it brings a wealth of social issues that often compound and compound. Workers too become so inundated and overwhelmed and NOT supported they really can't make appropriate or good decisions and definitely cannot deny anybody benefits.

I personally have no problems whatsoever with the infirm, elderly, handicapped etc. I'm mostly talking about all the able bodied who see work as beneath them.
A-four

Post by A-four »

Choccy wrote: The Banks want your money, but are unwilling to give anything in return:
Actually that's not true, the general banks are getting their money cheaper than they can ever offer you or I, from the central bank being the Bank of England, under a scheme called Quantative Easing (QE), where people in Britain are getting seven times their salary as a mortgage, the retail banks don't care, because the B of E is throwing money around as though it's confetti . Things here are quite crazy, and it will crash big time.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A4 the problem with Quantitative Easing is not easier mortgages, in fact lenders are not doing enough for home buyers and rules are getting tougher. The biggest problem now is historically low interest rates as a result of QE and many people with modern mortgages are getting used to them as part of their annual expenditure, the crunch will come when the rates rise as they will once the B of E stop their policy of Quantitative Easing.
A-four

Post by A-four »

Oh so very true Horus, I fear that this new man at the Bank has been brought in as a political pawn to serve the present government, so bang goes the so called independence of the Bank. This man should should raise interest rate NOW, so that if everything around him crashes, he would still hold a leverage to use to control things, otherwise, we could end up in the abyss that Japan found itself for almost 20 years, and no matter how much money it ploughed into its infrastructure, it's still struggling today.

Oh deflation, is much more dangerous than inflation
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Even now it looks as if there are some in Canada starting to question the legacy he left on the housing market during the time he was in control over there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Help! I know who you mean but for the life of me I can't remember his name, slept on it but still can't remember and it is bugging me. Am having a pro-longed senior moment.........what is the name please?