Storms and Floods - Natural Event or Global Warming?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Storms and Floods - Natural Event or Global Warming?

Post by Grandad »

There are many families in the UK whose homes have been flooded for more than a month following abnormal and persistent rainfall. Do you think the events of the last two months are natural events or largely the result of global warming?

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Storms and Floods - Natural Event or Global Warming?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am not sure about the cause but my bottom line feeling is that the weather IS definitely changing. The storms seem longer, stronger, more severe and the results are much more devastating to us.

What I've been mulling over is how many crisis can we cope with? Not trying to be cynical but sooner or later we're just not going to have the money, resources or man power to keep responding to crisis after crisis caused by weather. When that time comes it is going to be absolutely awful.

If the present weather conditions are being caused by Global warming I'm not too sure what we could do about it unless ALL countries on the globe agree to cut backs and whatever it would take to reduce omissions, pollution, gases or whatever is causing this. Highly doubt we could reach a consensus that way AND have also been mulling if we all have just reached a point of too many people on the globe. Have we reached a time when there is just too many of us?

Very interesting subject matter to mull over and contemplate.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have yet to be convinced that 'global warming' is responsible for apparent changes in our weather. I say 'apparent' because we have been told that the flooding of the Somerset Levels is the highest for 250 years. They didn't have motor cars or burn vast amounts of fossil fuel in those days and the global population was much less than half what it is today. So that says to me that recent events are cyclic and not man made.

The biggest influence on European weather would seem to be the Jet Stream which this year is much further south than usual and is therefore bringing more storms and rain from the Atlantic.

Although I have great sympathy for those people whose homes are flooded, it is not something new and as for any new or recent builds, then the developers must be responsible for not building to designs that would survive without being flooded. We have seen examples in the Thames valley of homes that are unscathed because they were built up higher with garages underneath. A waterlogged car is far more acceptable than a waterlogged home.

And within the next ten years it will probably all happen again....

David Cameron has promised that money will be available to put in control measures for the future. Let's wait and see...
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That the weather is cyclic has occurred to me too in that this all could be part of cycles that were happening before we even started to record the weather.

When I was a child growing up the snow was always ploughed to a point way higher than my heat up to the bottom of the power lines. From the time I was roughly in my 20ies through my 30ies most winters changed to being super mild. My own daughters really never saw much snow until a few years ago and now we're getting these mega storms again or record levels of snow.

As for Global warming - I always equate it to all the hype of Al Gore. He is known as Mr. Global Warming. He is also pushing an agenda to 'sell' his theory for mega bucks too. Some scientists are jumping on this theory but it hasn't gained popular following. We might all be sitting like ostrich with our heads in the sand but am really not sure. It isn't something I've studied or thought much about.

I'm close to the water but I'm also up a mountain. My house is designed that I'm mostly living over a garage too and all my neighbours houses are the same way. IF the water from the ocean reaches my door I think we'll all have bigger problems than a wet house. :o :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

At last a break in the weather with some sunshine and very little wind. An opportunity to get some fresh air. :) This mornings trip for coffee and a walk along the front was to Herne Bay on the north Kent coast. We also wanted to find a new little cafe that had been recommended.

Although the north Kent coast (Thames Estuary) does not get the high winds and high tides that the south coast has suffered recently, there are occasions when the elements threaten those properties along the front. I was favourably reminded of the action taken by the local authority to reduce the risk of floodding with a very pleasing sea wall with waterproof gates to be closed if there was a threat of the sea encroaching.

I an sure that in some of the areas recently flooded, particularly river valleys, similar defences could have been built at not an extortionate cost compared with the now cost of insurance claims and personal cost where insurance was not available.....

This goes along the complete forefront..
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - Look at all the tropical plants! Are you sure you're not in Hawaii or some other such tropical place?

Good to know you've had a break in the weather. We had a dandy storm come through here last night but this morning, right now, the sun is out and shining bright. Will hopefully get out for a walk myself. The last few days were cold, wet, raining, windy and not at all night.

With all the people who were flooded - where did they go? Did the gov't offer to place them somewhere? And was there somewhere for them to be placed?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@ Grandad - Look at all the tropical plants! Are you sure you're not in Hawaii or some other such tropical place?
It does look a bit unseasonal LLL with all the bedding plants coming into bloom and the other mediterranean plants. Just hope we don't get a very cold frosty snap to damage them all. But fortunately for us, the south east UK tends to have the best of the weather.....that's why I never moved away. ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today alone we've had sun, cloud, rain and hail - everything except snow and I'm not holding my breath that that isn't going to happen any second now. What totally rotten weather........

I've been waiting for a nice day to get out and about with my camera and snap a few photos but the weather is so bad and the rain storms coming through so heavy I'm not even taking ME out the door let alone my camera. It is the type of complete downpour that leaves you drenched in a second. HUGE rain drops.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Today is the first time I have seen a bit of blue sky for months :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm still seeing rain. Not the drizzly misty little drops. I'm talking the great big sploppers that really drench. Hitting the windows and just making the outside look totally dreary and blah.

Sometimes in 5 min the weather changes but I'm not holding my breath for today.