My New Forum

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

My New Forum

Post by Grandad »

This will probably be of no interest to anyone except myself but this evening I joined another forum, well it is actually a Facebook forum. It is called 'Canterbury Remembering as it was'. It is Canterbury centred and has 3662 members now, with me :lol: People post old pictures of scenes in and around the city and others add their personal experiences connected with the picture. It looks like quite a lot of fun and as I am of an age to remember 7 or 8 decades of the city I have already found that I have plenty to contribute, including some pictures from my albums.

Do any of you other folks know of forums dedicated to your local areas? Most have some sort of Historical Society.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: My New Forum

Post by Horus »

I stopped reading after 'Facebook' :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

At one point I checked on FB for groups of interest around here but found none that were active.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes Grandad, I have two I follow on FB.............one is " Peterhead when you were a kid " often folks right up many things about the past etc etc etc.

Another is " North East Fisher Folk " about fisher families,boats,photos etc etc..........just two days ago from a friend on this forum sent me via email two photos of my family tragedy, one of the boat or what was left of it when it came a ground & a photo of the funeral of one of the men washed a shore.
We thought we had seen/had all the photos of this time, just goes to show there is still some others out there.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am finding some interesting old photos on my local forum too Kiya. Someone posted the register of occupants for my street in 1940. Gosh, that brought back memories of old friends and neighbours and also reminded me that two aunts, my fathers sisters, also lived in the same road. It was much more common then for families to live closer than they do today.

Mobility today allows families to spread out more. My own family are within a 30 minute radius of us but many go much further afield....
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

facebook does not have forums Grandad, Timelines, Groups and pages :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Geee I can still remember all the names of neighbours in our street & their house number & most of the families in neighbouring streets.

Yeah mine are the same with a 45 min radius :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

DJKeefy wrote:facebook does not have forums Grandad, Timelines, Groups and pages :)
Yes I know Keefy but it looked a bit like a forum.....all very friendly and local :lol: Much like on here ;) :up :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My family is no longer close together - course it was my dad and mom who moved "us" across country. Phone plans with free long distance calling definitely keep everybody connected.

I don't think I belong to any groups on FB. I have family and close friends who I see on there and keep in touch that way.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Horus, I really cannot understand why an intelligent seemingly normal man has such a dislike of facebook. I have several pages for different subjects, very little nonsense chatting, groups that are achieving great success with animal and human abuse issues and of course a few bits of artwork and jokes to cheer us up after dealing with some of the more disgusting cases. Have you ever looked at any of my pages? . . . . . . :ni:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jay it is probably my inbuilt reaction against anything that I consider to be over invasive, Facebook like many other similar things wants to have rights over everything you do including sharing your information with anyone it chooses to do so. For example if you post an image on Facebook it will be shared with just about everyone and you have little or no control over who uses it, they write so many caveats into using their services that I find it all unacceptible.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well, that was short lived. I like the group and found myself able to contribute after being born and living in the city all but 6 years of my life. What I couldn't stand was all new posts appearing in 'My Page' and not being able to find out how to stop it. :xx

There was a tab at the left hand side of my page which I assumed I could turn on WHEN I WANTED TO SEE WHAT HAD BEEN POSTED, apparently not.

If Keefy or Jayway can explain to me how I can be selective as to what appears in my page I would be grateful and will re-join the group....Ta!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

H, I think the worst thing about FB is the dreaded 'Like' button. From what I deduce, if you click to 'like' one of your friends posts, that post gets passed to ALL your friends and as far as I know, all their friends.

I agree it is the most intrusive and invasive network on the internet. (I am not on any others so others may be even worse) If you have a device with GPS which is switched on, FB automatically tells everyone where you are.....great for the criminal element. :xx

I have just a handful of 'friends' mostly family and I only use it to communicate with and keep up to date with them. I have never clicked the like button in my life..........I think that button is what causes things to 'Go Viral'
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Now you all know why I won't use it ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm not sure but I think for you to get stuff posted on your FB page people have to 'share' it with you. I know I get jokes and shares of stuff from friends and I swear 2 friends have subscribed to somewhere that now sends me a daily "HUG" post from them. I hardly think they'd have the time to post this daily hug themselves. No idea how to stop this so I just daily skim over it.

I find that FB is a good way to share things of interest with people AND when I joined years ago I was only required to put my name which I did via initials and a fake birthdate. I've never put my location (would LOVE to know how to turn GPS OFF) and have refused to provide phone numbers, addresses etc.

I think nowadays you MUST provide lots more to be able to get onto FB and this I object to. It is ridiculous to provide your own personal data anywhere online and no way should young or naïve people be prompted to give this. Once out there you can never get it back.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, you switch off GPS on your device (phone, tablet etc) so that it is Not recording your location. Then just switch it on when you need it.

I believe there are ways to select what you want to receive but to be honest FB does not help with this and makes it difficult. All part of their scheme to keep you there and by their cookies, bombard you with junk.

I am happy to use it but would like some help with setting up my own preferences and so far I can't find how to do that. :(

As for personal details, obviously no sane person would post VERY personal details like address, phone number etc: But I have added some previous working and school history because I would have no problem re-acquainting with friends from way back.

That said it is not too difficult to track and trace an individual if one has the will. Nothing is REALLY private on the net :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad as fas as I can understand for only family or friends to see your posts on FB when you open FB main page> Top Right there is your name>Home then next to that an icon looking like a lock.......click on that to see a drop down menu & click on Who can see my stuff click on the drop arrow & you will see options.............I clicked on Friends some time ago but before that I was always Public which anybody can see, at least with Friends only a certain amount will see my posts.

Let's know how you get on :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that Kiya, a big help :up I have never used that route and it would appear that many things are open to 'public' by default. i have now changed all those.

My main problem is preventing posts in a 'Group' from appearing in my Home page. I want to have the option to read them when I choose and not have my home page cluttered and have to search through them to find any 'friends' posts that I DO want to read.

If you are in any groups how do you prevent posts from those groups appearing every time you open your home page. Sorry to go on about this but until I can find the answer I will not sign on to any groups........If you have any further clues, please tell :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

See what I mean! insidious! unfathomable! invasive! elusive! underhanded! :lol: :lol: