Unfair Criticism?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Unfair Criticism?

Post by Horus »

We often see the Americans being criticised for their role in world politics, but I notice that they were the first into the Philippines to install all the equipment and a new temporary control tower so that the main airport can receive aid on a 24/7 basis. Some times it is only a superpower that has the wherewithal and the expertise to do such a thing at such short notice not to mention the generosity of doing so in the first place.

The other thing that surprised me was a reporter saying it would cost around 175 million to repair the damage? That did seem a small sum when you actually see the devastation to the islands, however if that was actually the cost then it begs the question that when there are people in this world that estimate their own personal wealth in the BILLIONS!
“why cannot one of these mega rich people just stump up the money?” it would be a drop in the ocean to them. 8)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Unfair Criticism?

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: When there are people in this world that estimate their own personal wealth in the BILLIONS!
“why cannot one of these mega rich people just stump up the money?” it would be a drop in the ocean to them. 8)
Selfish greed H, just selfish greed :(

And we could cancel our foreign aid to somewhere like India and give it to the Philipines.

I agree with you that the US always steps in when there is a crisis around the world. A shame that other major powers like China and Russia do not offer such prompt assistance. The BBC launched a DEC appeal yesterday for the tornado hit Philipines. It is already approaching 20 million pounds, and rising, which is a measure of the concern and generosity of Brits. This weekend is 'Children in Need' and no doubt tens of millions will again be raised even on the back of giving to DEC.

I always make a nominal donation, ten or fifteen pounds, to these appeals. Not a lot to give but I work on the premise that if everyone gave on average just a pound a head, more than fifty million pounds could be raised almost overnight.

It seems highly likely that David Beckham will be knighted in the new years honours list. I have very strong views about sportsmen being given the highest British award, other than being ennobled. If he gave five or ten million to the Philipinos cause, I might change my mind about him becoming Sir David..........
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Love 'em or hate 'em the American do always seem to be the first ones anywhere.

It is often heard that people wish the US to go away and mind their own business as they don't like Americans to be what they call meddling in their affairs. Many in Egypt voice this sentiment wish the US would get out. I often think to myself and wonder how these same people would like living under Russia or China? Am positive if the US pulled out it wouldn't take too long for another power to move in and kinda seems to me that Russia would not take as kindly to its flag being burned or Putin being burned in the village square in effigy.

Always better the devil you know and I'd take dealing with the vagaries and inconsistencies and ups and downs of the USA as a superpower being in my backyard to trying to deal with China or Russia (who IMO would be happy to take the place of the USA if they pulled out)

All that being said the Philippines is in a super bad way. Can't even fathom the storm they went through, loss of life and the sheer desperation those people must feel. There is a US ship there that has enough desalinization capability to keep a small city going so hopefully that is affording some relief. Problem with the Philippines is going to be that they're a country of islands. The task is going to be getting goods and supplies into all of the remote little areas.

I'm hoping relief efforts will be coordinated and some entity (UN?) will step in and lay out a master plan for getting aid to everybody.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree with all of the above and was surprised when Britain said it was sending it's biggest Aircraft Carrire to assist :? er ............ have we still got one?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't heard what Canada is going to send. Maybe we're giving $$, sometimes it is our military. I know the search and rescue guys were other there searching and searching the water yesterday in front of my house. Didn't hear what the problem was but our military does lots of search/rescue/saving type stuff.

We don't really have nuclear warships and super duper airplanes and stuff but typically Canada is there.