I may be gone some time

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: I may be gone some time

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Have you remembered to update the version of the Raw editor?
Yes Horus, that is up to date. I spent a long time on another forum a couple of weeks ago with two chaps who seemed very 'switched on' to the problem and they led me to try different things, none of which worked.
It was at about that time that I decided that I might have an inbuilt system problem because, amongst other things, my new wireless mouse was not working correctly. So eventually this week I did the complete rebuild.

As it was an old reboot disc that I had created it still had an old Norton antivirus program included which installed automatically. Since then I have been inundated with Norton popups telling me that I need to do , this and that, and try as I may it would not let me delete or uninstall all Norton files. I eventually found a Norton uninstaller online this morning and now that is all cleared out and, surprise surprise, my mouse is now working fine......but PSE11 STILL lacks Raw. :xx

In PSE11 under Help there is an option 'System Info'. This lists all my computer system details plus all the required files for PSE11. However, nowhere in the list is camera raw listed although the path to the file is shown correctly under 'Additional Plugin Folder'.

So everything is where it should be but it seems that raw is not being accessed when the program opens because it does not seem to be on the list of required plugins. Looks like I am going to have to find a way to Fool the opening sequence and lead it to the raw file which I know is in its correct location.

Could also mean that I c*ck everything up and may never be seen on here again....SO, just in case, bye folks, lovely knowing y'all :lol: :lol: :lol:

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds like you are having fun Grandad, :o but I'm sure you will win out in the end :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Sounds like you are having fun Grandad, :o but I'm sure you will win out in the end :up
I am feeling pretty chuffed Horus :) I don't have a single computer problem. I have had a few which by various means I have managed to resolve. One of the biggest problems was getting rid of those infiltrators who wanted to follow all my internet activity and tell others about it. :xx But got there in the end. :)

Most importantly I have now resolved my long term problem of not being able to open RAW files in PSE11, even with suggestions from your good self and some cyber forum friends who went to great lengths to try to help.

In PSE7 the latest upgrade for Raw was 5.5 which works in that program. In PSE11 the latest RAW version is 7.3 which would not work. So I copied 5.5 into PSE11 and quarantined 7.3, and Bingo, it works. :br:

I think I now have the slickest, cleanest, fastest, gas fired PC on the planet. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh knew you would get there in the end :D

Well Done you :up

Hope to see some photos soon :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The long dialogue with my cyber friends can be found here......boring I know but they really tried and I am most grateful to them. :up
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1140960

Just want some decent weather now Kiya, a few bright days last week but grey and cloudy since. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you are now sorted Grandad, at least now you can call yourself an expert on RAW plugins for PSE11 ;) It seems to me that it is very much as I expected insomuch as the latest versions always drop off some of the earlier cameras regardless of what they may tell you, after all there is a limit to what the plugin can cover.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I tried a couple of friends to help you, would you believe that they led me to your link/conversation with your friends trying to help you, it was a week /10 days ago, I didn't read it all at the time but thought it was no good telling you at the time when I was led to the same conversation/help.

I'm really glad your sorted out now. :D

We could all have some sunny days just now, its been too grey for too long, flurries of snow & gales today up here :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: It seems to me that it is very much as I expected insomuch as the latest versions always drop off some of the earlier cameras .
The D5000 is hardly an early camera Horus, and each new version of Camera Raw includes all cameras in earlier versions of the plugin. Version 7.3 now includes the following Nikon cameras right back to earliest Nikon digitals.

Nikon*
1 J1,1 J2,1 V1,1 2,D1,D1H,D1X,D100,D200,D2H,D2Hs,D2X,D2Xs,D3,D3s,D3X,D300,D300s,D600
D3000,D3100,D3200,D4,D40,D40X,D50,D5000,D5100,D5200,D60,D70,D600,D700,D7000,D70s,
D80,D800,D800E,D90,Coolpix 5000,Coolpix 5400,Coolpix 5700,Coolpix 8400,Coolpix 8700,
Coolpix 8800,Coolpix P6000,Coolpix P7000,Coolpix P7100,Coolpix P7700

Whatever the reason for it not working for me but working for Kiya is now irrelevent because I have found a version that works. :)

Just waiting for some decent weather now to get some raw images and play with them in their appropriate programme. The weekend....maybe :tk
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

In the world of cameras it is ;) yours was released around mid April 2009 I think, so how many manufacturers have released new cameras that can shoot RAW files since then and they all have to be included in the latest update. You may choose to believe it or not, but as each new update takes place some models get dropped off the end and they rely on previous versions to cover those older cameras, ;) although if Kiya has the exact same camera as you then it is a bit strange and seem to indicate that the update still includes your model. :?:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

June 2009 I think Horus and that is not old. Raw 7.3 includes over 350 camera models in its compatability listing and I am sure there have not been more than 350 new models capable of shooting raw images since June 2009.

But my camera has NOT been the root of my problem. Kiya has a Canon and I have a Nikon but it was nothing to do with what camera I have. The problem was that the raw plugin was not being accessed by the program on my computer but it is on Kiya's. We had demonstrated this earlier in this thread. My computer doesn't even know what camera I have because I haven't told it.

However, now that I have sorted the problem and I am very happy with my excellent Nikon camera, I look forward to it giving me good service for some years to come.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No one was saying the camera was old, merely pointing out that in 3-4 years it slips down the list of supported cameras in new releases of RAW editing software and it was an attempt to help solve your problem. :urm: It is amazing how many experts pop up after the rest of us guys on various forums sort out their problems for them and then it all looks so simple when you have the answers don't you think?. ;) I will now bow to your superiority on the subject of RAW editing software and computers in general and return to bumbling around in the dark as I usually do. 8)

Just out of interest, if your camera was number 300 in the previous list then it would only take another 51 new cameras added for it to drop off the end of the list and not 350, or worse still if it happened to be number 350, but then again what do I know about such things? or more to the point do I really care? we can kick this ball about forever and I have better things to do.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

So have I!

But you still don't get the point Horus. IT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY CAMERA. EVEN KIYA WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO OPEN HER RAW FILES ON MY COMPUTER BECAUSE THE PROGRAM DOES NOT ACCESS THE RAW PLUGIN WHEN IT IS OPENED.

But, like you, I now withdraw from this discussion because I am fully up and running.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Your better off than me now Grandad with everything working as they should, I still haven't any thing from the HELP MENU but I'm not really bothered about it as I can ask you or Horus to keep me right on anything I get stuck with :) ;)

BTW......Horus are we to have anymore Tutorials ?? I've been patiently waiting since the new year came :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I thought you were all going full steam ahead with your latest software Kiya, :) by the way there is a later version of GIMP if you want to update to it. I shall be a bit busy out and about with my (hopefully) new camera if the weather improves and I am currently working on a new tutorial for another photography forum where we do Photoshop & Gimp challenges, I am hopefully going to do a personalised Cartouche with gold figures, if I do I will email you a copy. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Okey Dokey, when you have time can you give a link to upgrade Gimp please :) I don't want to do it by myself ....I'm sure to do sommin wrong.

I've always time for doing tutorials from you even if I have my new software.

When your ready I will be :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

And I too have certainly not deserted Gimp. I am still amazed at how powerful an editor it is especially as a freebie. :up

EDIT: Kiya, you and Horus reminded me that Gimp was one program that I had not yet re-installed. I have just done that and you will find it at http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Just click the download button, ignore the page where they invite you to register for something or other, the download will take less than a minute and on my computer the .exe file appears at the bottom of the screen. Yours may be saved in a download folder.

Double click that .exe file and accept English then click run. It will then install in your program files and you can open it from your start menu. (at least that's the XP route) You can then create a desktop icon and drag it onto the desktop.

The first thing I noticed was that the 'Tool Options' panel opened with the program which saves having to open them from the menu bar.

That's me definitely completely restored again. :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Not sure if I 've got it right, it is Gimp 2.8.4 , I have an icon on Desktop showing like a computer with disc but not the fox type icon like before.
When I click on the computer type icon it asks me to run which I do then choose English, where it is after that I don't know...............help I knew I would do sommin wrong. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya just double click the Computer/disk icon, then just say OK to 'English' then click the Install button on the next menu with a Fox on it and let it run, at the end click 'Finish'
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks Horus :) it was there all the time in the start button > all programs I just needed to create the " shortcut ".

I expect its safe to delete 2 icons for the previous Gimp :?:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes you can delete any other older icons, if you delete the wrong one by mistake just open the latest installed Gimp via your Start > Programmes and right click on Gimp 2 to create a fresh shortcut. If you hover your mouse over the Gimp desktop shortcut it should show you the version as being 2.8.4 :up