I may be gone some time

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: I may be gone some time

Post by Ruby Slippers »

We thought about the cable option ages ago, Horus, but it didn't sit well with DH. As to the dongle affair - well, the two pieces of software are dongle controlled anyway, so I really don't think that would even come into the equation. :(

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Ps. I know these are security dongles. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sorry for butting in, so to speak - but Horus - what is: a Pen Plotter??
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No problem LLL, a Pen Plotter is used to print those large A1 and bigger drawings that you see in engineering factories and often supplied to you by architects if you are having work done and need 'plans' (drawings) drawn up for the work to be either approved, or carried out by builders and the likes. Now days they use the equivalent of a very big 'ink jet' printer and the drawings are produced as single scans across a large sheet of paper, exactly the same as your home ink jet printer. The older pen plotters on the other hand used a series of ink 'pens' that fitted into a rotating carousel and the plotter had a small pen holder that would go to the carousel and select the appropriate coloured ink pen and physically draw the shape regardless of how complex that shape was. It did this by a combination of right to left movements across the paper with the pen while at the same time pressure rollers gripped the sides and shuttled the paper back and forwards, this four directional movement can draw any shape you desire with the right software. They are a lot slower than the later ink jets and very few plotters will be used today. Mine has sentimental value and even has the name of ‘Percy Plotter’ a name I gave to it as watching it work it looks just like some intelligent being drawing pictures, especially when he nipped off to change a pen, drew something in another colour then nipped back again to select his normal black one. He was a special agent ;) and I even used to make some of the military guys laugh by making him do a little dance that drew a picture of his pen looking like a spinning top complete with a little face and his signature of Percy Plotter underneath which he would add to the completed drawing with a flourish. :lol: :lol: Well you had to do something to pass the time. ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus, can I ask you a real 'techie' question? If it's possible to partition a hard drive, why is it not possible to plug in a hard drive in a caddy and use it in the same way as a partition, please? :ni:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Not so sure about the Techie bit RS, :o but assuming you have an operating system on another drive AND the boot sequence puts your caddy as the first one in the order of booting then it should work. So lets speculate that you have on your PC an internal Hard Drive (drive C) and a DVD Read/Writer (say drive D) then the boot sequence would normally be 'C' then 'D' in other words when it cannot find what it wants on drive 'C' it goes and looks on drive 'D' as the next one in the boot sequence. So if you added a Sata Caddy it would be given a designation (probably drive E) and you would change the boot sequence to be 'E' > 'C' > 'D' which should make it look at Drive 'E' first and if that contains onother system it should boot that O/S. However, if you removed the drive from the caddy then effectively it cannot find drive 'E' and should then move on to look for drive 'C' and boot up with that operating system. As I say it should work , but sometimes strange things in the BIOS can come into play, so it needs investigating a bit further if you can.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Percy - neat name! :) :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Hello Gang :)
Had a few hair raising hours the last couple of days...... :(
I was getting SO many strange things happening with the old computer I thought it was about time to restore it back to its infancy. Well, I have a restore disc that I made a long time ago which has worked fine in the past but decided to play me up this time.
Anyhow, after much hair pulling and even reserving a new tower at PC World, I eventually got the better of it and am now up and running with, I hope, a nice clean system free of glitches and malfunctions.
TBH I think I am my own worst enemy because if I look at the installed programs and when I see something that I don't recognise or don't use I just delete (or uninstall) it because I don't have too much HD space.
Now that I have a second HD I must discipline myself to leave well alone in future.

I have re-installed all the regular stuff I use but will only install other things as and if I need them.

Thank goodness for the tablet though, I was at least able to keep in touch with the world. :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you are back with us Grandad, I was just about to send out a search party, but I knew you were doing a bit of maintenance. :lol: :lol:
I am still pondering on biting the bullet, one day I think I should do it and the next day not, but I suppose it will happen shortly. :(
I always reckon that you should just go with the "next" option when installing any software as its usually the best option, the only exeption is with the free stuff like Google Earth, Picasa and other free stuff which is always trying to slip in another toolbar or Home Page option, so you have to read carefully and un-check boxes before you say "next".
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: the only exception is with the free stuff like Google Earth, Picasa and other free stuff which is always trying to slip in another toolbar or Home Page option, so you have to read carefully and un-check boxes before you say "next".
Very true Horus. I needed to download Chrome and found a download from, what appeared to be, Google. Whenit downloaded it didn't look a bit like Chrome and when I looked closer it was from Delta-search. :xx

When I looked at my installed programs, Chrome was there but so were several programs associated with Delta-search. I found how to get rid of them and then did a Malwares scan. This found 49 items already in my system gleaning all sorts of snippets and passing them on to anyone prepared to pay for them. These I removed and after a restart I now have Chrome as I know it, complete with all my old favourites.

No doubt one of those little varmints was also interested in my favourites file. :xx
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad I get so bloody annoyed about all the crap that gets shoved in by supposedly reputable companies, :xx here is a link to that Dela Search crap that you found. Dont panic too much about it, but have a read and you will maybe want to check out the bits mentioned as you may need to make sure your browser is behaving properly, especially the bit for Chrome where you can make sure it is deleted from the list, just to be on the safe side. :up
I wouldn't bother with downloading that spyware checker they are pushing though.

http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-delta-search-hijacker
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That's what I found when I was looking for some info about it. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I was able to remove the Delta search from Chrome but the instructions didn't work out for IE. :(
Although I scanned and removed 46 Ad ware infiltrators yesterday I found another 4 this morning. I tried to remove Delta from control but was denied claiming it was required for other programs :xx
So, surprise surprise, I am starting over again because I have nener had that sort of problem before and don't want to have to live with it.
At least the tablet is working fine :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, its a good idea to start your PC in safe mode and then carry out any removals as this stops some of those nasties from being loaded. Once they are loaded and running you can often get these sorts of massages saying you cannot delete them. The other way is to do a Ctrl + Alt + Del by pressing all 3 keys at the same time, this brings up the 'Task Manager' window and you can use that to stop anything running that is giving you problems. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus said: The other way is to do a Ctrl + Alt + Del by pressing all 3 keys at the same time, this brings up the 'Task Manager' window and you can use that to stop anything running that is giving you problems.

Thank goodness I learnt that one a long time ago H :up Often have to resort to it when things don't want to shut down but then you get all this garbage about sending a message to Microsoft etc etc :(

I am up and running again...my alter ego had a very stern word with me and has made me say 100 times out loud: I MUST NOT FIDDLE WITH MY COMPUTER... I MUST NOT FIDDLE WITH MY COMPUTER... I MUST NOT FIDDLE WITH MY COMPUTER ...I MUST NOT FIDDLE WITH MY COMPUTER ...I MUST NOT FIDDLE WITH MY COMPUTER ...............
:lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Glad to see your up & running again Grandad :) ...............now don't touch anything !!!!!!!! ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

For me, half the fun of using a computer is - fiddling with it! :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

After all that stripping my computer system software back to bare essentials and rebuilding from the base up, and updating to all the latest Microsoft updates, I STILL CANNOT OPEN RAW IMAGES IN PSE11 AND STILL DO NOT EVEN HAVE THE OPTION IN THE DROP DOWN MENU UNDER 'OPEN AS'. :xx :xx :xx
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Have you remembered to update the version of the Raw editor?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Guys guys guys...techie talk! ;) ;) :)....whoaaaaaa ;) I read this thread and got lost after Grandad returned and I think before ;) :ni: :ni: :ni: :ni:

Just teasing - didn't follow a thing :sd (not sure that is a good thing)