ELEMENTS 11

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

ELEMENTS 11

Post by Kiya »

Grandad not sure if you or anybody else reading would be interested.............

Amazon has for 1 day only Elements 11 for £32 97 only .............only a bargain if you really really want it :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: ELEMENTS 11

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for the tip Kiya. that is a really good price. :up

I have ordered it (A little Christmas pressie from Mrs G :lol: ) because I like Elements 7, that I have at the moment. From the reviews I have read about PSE 11 it is much improved even on 7. Of course I would like the full Photoshop program but cannot justify that cost.

I am very happy to continue with Gimp because, with Horus' help, we are all learning new tricks. It is then not too difficult to transfer things learnt in Gimp over to PSE, which I find more responsive. x:p
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Glad you took the offer Grandad :) doubt we would see that price again & Roy ordered it for me, part Xmas :)

And I agree to continue using Gimp as long as we have the tutorials from Horus, I'm sure there is a lot I would have missed learning if we didn't have our fantastic tutor :) :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for your confidence folks, as I said at the start of this Gimp exercise, it is just a common programme we can all use together and what you learn by using it should be transferable to other software packages, so nothing wrong in preferring to use another programme or several for that matter, my favourite is Photoshop. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Forgot to mention yesterday Kiya that I have also ordered a copy for grand daughter Annabelle. She is 16 and just getting into photography and had big ideas about getting Photoshop. (She hasn't even got a decent camera yet :) ) I suggested to her that she start with something like PSE11 and as she agreed I have ordered it to include with her Christmas gifts.

I sent her the monk ghost, before and after, via FB, she thought it was amazing and said how did you do that grandad? So she is really starting from scratch. :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad thats great :) I'm sure your grand daughter will get on well with Elements 11, you should have went for the book to go along with it for her :)

Don't mention the monk to me............arggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I'm sure I'm jinxed with it & it don't want me to play along making him ghostly :( ....really this is only one I've ever had big trouble with :?

I'm getting all the layers now but when I zoom in its just a mess.................brick laying/cloning is something definitely Horus can do better than me ;) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, its not how it looks when your Zoomed in :td it's how it looks when you view your image at normal size that counts :up You would be surprised at how roughly some parts can be done if they are for example cut and pasted into another image, the same goes for cloning. ;)

Grandad, you will need to get her a copy of Gimp loaded on as well and logged onto the website tutorials.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Grandad, you will need to get her a copy of Gimp loaded on as well and logged onto the website tutorials.
Good point Horus :up I shall see her over Christmas, not least to see if she got her camera. She is hoping to get a Nikon D5200 which is quite expensive but she does some part time work and can contribute towards the cost. I suggested she consider getting a body, £287 at Jessops, and borrowing my lenses until she can get her own. Otherwise it would be a D3200 with the 18 - 55 kit lens which can be bought for around £300, a very good deal.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I have just received my Elements 11 in the post.

Reading through the instruction booklet to upload I see on page 3 you don't have to uninstall any other Element programs already on your computer.

Have you received yours yet ??

Did you leave the other Element program on your computer or did you remove it ???

Just like to know before I attempt to load it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes I have received both copies I ordered Kiya. One wrapped for Annabelle and one for me but as it is a pressie I will not load it until after the 25th :lol: :lol:

Personally, I will uninstall the old program before I load the new one. I think it keeps everything clean and PSE 11 has everything that 7 had and much more. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, you can have more than one version of Premiere Elements installed on your computer. Premiere Elements doesn't automatically remove or replace any previous versions installed on your computer. You can uninstall earlier versions after you are comfortable with the latest version.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ok I couldn't wait for someone to do it for me so gave it a go.

It loaded in a few mins following instructions, I didn't click on the 30day trial APE 11 but it downloaded anyway.

While loading it asked me to convert folders to Elements 11 so I clicked yes!.........maybe I shouldn't have as all my folders from My Pictures are now in Elements 11, not sure yet how to Tag & name my albums but most of the folders I don't want in Elements 11.....so would I be safe to just delete them????

I've had a quick look around but like anything else it will take a bit of time or I get used to it & know my way.

BTW I left Elements 7 just till I get used to 11.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I couldn't wait either Kiya :lol:

I uninstalled PSE7 then installed 11. I managed to press the right buttons so as not to install the trial of the Premiere version which is really for video editing and I don't do that, I don't take videos.

I have not checked if it read all my photo files but as it took 14 minutes to install I think it probably did. (There are over 20,000 which would account for the long installation time)

I have just had a quick 5 minute play with the worktop and am thinking it is brilliant and a vast improvement on 7, although I thought that was good. This is much more intuitive and simplified. I particularly like the 'previews' when you are using some adjustment tools, the whole image previews which is superb. :up

I am looking forward to spending some time finding my way around but so far I am most impressed. Thanks for the tip in the first place for a really good value deal. :up :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It will take sometime for me having a good look around & trying out................for a start I like this quick Pop Art done in 3 clicks. I think it is under "Expert" then you will find down the left side.

I still can't find where to start a new album & to give it a name??
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, I think the Pop Art thing and many other quick fixes are found under Guides. They seem to be just quick methods of creating diferent image effects but it seems without much adjustment control.

I think all the effects can be created by using the toolbox and a bit of expertise. I see the guides as just something easy for people who are not too into editing.

I have been having a look around and although the menu bar options are the same as in 7, there are big and more friendly improvements for actually using tools like the options panel that opens automatically for each tool. I like the general layout of the workspace but I do miss the grey background of the PSE7 workspace.

I need to play some more before I have anything to post but I am sure there is plenty to get used to well into the new year. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Help!! When I uploaded PSE11 I really wanted to start afresh with this program & no photos at all but when I open "Organiser " & click on " Media " on the left I see a very long list of all my folders/photos, desktop etc etc there & Tags to the right of screen.

When I click on any of the folders to see photos they are not really there I have to do a search for them, when I try & delete the folders it wont let me.

I un-installed this morning then re-installed & everything is still there.

What have I done wrong with the installing of PSE11 ???
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, I don't use the organiser in PSE11 because it does not work well for me and I had the same problems as you. With well over 20,000 pictures all nicely sorted into albums in Picasa I prefer to stick with that.

If you want to empty the organiser you can do this:
Go to EDIT>SELECT ALL then EDIT>DELETE SELECTED ITEMS FROM CATALOGUE in confirm window click 'OK' Everything will be cleared from the catalogue but all your images on your hard drive are safe and untouched. :up

Click EDITOR at the bottom of screen and you will be taken to the Picture Editor.

When opening the program I only click PHOTO EDITOR because I do not intend to use the organiser. If you accidentally click the organiser you will have to wait for it to completely scan your system before you can do the 'removal' sequence above.

Hope this helps. :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you Grandad thats done the trick :)

I've been used to it for a long time now uploading my photos to PSE Organiser & Tagging them to my own liking.

I've been tidying up my computer most of the weekend & now I can start afresh in PSE 11.

Thanks again :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Why is it I'm not getting anything when I use the " Help " at top of screen in PSE 11 ??

I get a message saying......." There was an error launching the default browser. You may need to re- install the application & the Help component "

When uploading PSE 11 I didn't see anything to do with the " Help " & just followed the instructions. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You can always try running the CD again Kiya, very often that will promt it to ask if you want to Un-install or Re-install the programme and sometimes it asks if you wish to add some additional features, one of them maybe the 'Help Files' It looks like you have something missing during the installation, it may have asked if you wanted to install certain features and you did not tick the boxes, often there are choices about how much you install with the programme, so maybe you didn't choose to install the 'Help' files or it may just have glitched during the installation. Either way no worries you can just tell it to reinstall the programe and that should sort it out for you, it is often best to choose the reccomended install option.