When a Gov't murders it's own people when is it OUR problem?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

When a Gov't murders it's own people when is it OUR problem?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Syria - Just watching the TV news featuring all the goings on in Syria. How long can 'we' not act when a regeme is killing its own innocent citizens with no ability to defend themselves?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: When a Gov't murders it's own people when is it OUR prob

Post by Horus »

Well on the basis of us usually being “dammed if we do and dammed if we don’t” I reckon we should stay out of it. Look at the mess most of the Middle East is in at the moment, if we help it will come back to bite us on the backside and called interference, if we stand by it will be called indifference or because there is no oil involved, quite frankly we can never win choose what we do. There are enough countries in that region with big enough armed forces to act if they wished, so if they can’t sort it out then why should we. We should just be completely honest about the politics within that region, if they threaten us or our interests in any way, then we will act, otherwise its your problem.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: When a Gov't murders it's own people when is it OUR prob

Post by Grandad »

I agree with you entirely Horus. It is certainly not a time for some 'Gung Ho' military intervention. And let's not forget that Russia and China would not support any UN resolutions against Syria so if they have sympathy for Assad where might intervention lead?

This is a problem in the midst of the Muslim middle east and those countries should do more to resolve the situation. I thought the Arab League observers mission was very weak and toothless.

The best the west can do is ramp up political persuasion and influence to try to get Assad to concede that it is time for change.

As a PS. I was saddened to hear of the death of Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik in Homs. Two acclaimed reporters in the wrong place at the wrong time. RIP.
:gg: