Progress so far on new forum design - please test

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Progress so far on new forum design - please test

Post by DJKeefy »

You can check the new design and layout of the new forum on:

http://www.4unetwork.com/forum/index.php

The test forum is in the colours for Luxor4u (Blue side) though the database used is an old egypt4u database, so you might need to join to access new features of the forum. REMEMBER this is a TEST forum only for you to try out, everything will be deleted when all bugs are eliminated.

Im sure even after over 6 months of testing that many bugs still exist so please report any bugs or graphic problems or things you would like or things you dislike in this thread.

Im aware of the moderators, admin and forum admin not showing their proper colours and showing the rank colours like V.I.P etc. also I know that old flash links, some old smilies from the smilies album and old style links that posted photos in posts are not working.

Thanks for all your help.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just had a quick look DJK.

First impression is the 'Blue text on pale blue background'. I don't find that too easy on the eye. True I have some eye problems but a darker background is much more restful for anyone, eye probs or not.

Grandad
:gg:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Thanks for your imput Grandad :)

I dont know how I can find a solution, most people have been telling me its easier to read darker text on a light background, I have made the font bigger too for easier reading

Mind you on my PC, 1 laptop and 1 netbook I find it sharp and easy to read, however on 1 oldish widescreen laptop which I only use for watching TV in bed I found the background quite bright on that, and the colours were a slightly different to my other computers, so maybe its a graphic card problem or my brightness is too high.
BillH

Post by BillH »

We played about for ages with this platform on our UKSAABS website Keefy. We finally got it right for our members, and this is how the the default site looks now.

http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/

Maybe that design is easier on the eye.. :|
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Nah! Don't like it....couldn't sit looking at that for long :(
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree Grandad :)
Nah! me neither, it looks too much like lots of other web forums, too impersonal. :(
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Grandad wrote:Just had a quick look DJK.

First impression is the 'Blue text on pale blue background'. I don't find that too easy on the eye. True I have some eye problems but a darker background is much more restful for anyone, eye probs or not.

Grandad
Perhaps a slightly more bold font?

You're right about computers showing things differently. This green looks almost black on my netbook.

Sorry, Biih, but the blue background doesn't work for me. It looked very nice otherwise.
BillH

Post by BillH »

What is forcing the change of the forum guys ?

We only changed the SAAB forum to unleash a bit more functionality for the users, the main one being the ability to delete their own posts in the event of say a double post or something like that.
The other reason was to gain a small revenue stream from the banners and traders that we allowed on there.

Personally, I like this one the way it is :)
Whats that old saying ? "if it aint broke"... 8)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

BillH wrote:What is forcing the change of the forum guys ?

We only changed the SAAB forum to unleash a bit more functionality for the users, the main one being the ability to delete their own posts in the event of say a double post or something like that.
The other reason was to gain a small revenue stream from the banners and traders that we allowed on there.

Personally, I like this one the way it is :)
Whats that old saying ? "if it aint broke"... 8)
Its not broke BillH but it might be in the future with updates to the php system some old stuff might be dropped when php 6 is released and hosting companies upgrade, quite a few modifications on the old phpbb2 had to be changed when php 5 was released and they was no longer compatible.
BillH

Post by BillH »

Good Luck Keefy. I hope the upgrade goes well.. 8)

I'm out here trying to load and rack 15 brand new servers with no lighting and no electricity in the server room !
All the comms are down, the old cabling has not been removed, the keys were absent from the cabinets, and no Commando sockets for the UPS and power distribution boards..

All the servers are now on the floor, and I had to go out and buy a 3G router so I can load multiple installations of Debian, Windoze Server for the D.C's and File server, plus Exchange...
And it must be finished by Thursday !!

Can life get any better ?? :oops:
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We have faith in you Bill :)
jewel

Post by jewel »

Sadly it doesnt seem compatible with ipad.......only works with windows :(
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
BillH

Post by BillH »

I-Pad.

Why on earth would you want one of those fondle slabs Jewel ?
less functionality than a similarly priced laptop, difficult to hold, no Flash..etc...

I kind of got the impression from your posts that you, like me, detested the consumerism society.. ?

Maybe I had better re-read your posts, there must be some cryptic hidden message in them ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

Horus wrote:We have faith in you Bill :)
Your Faith was not misplaced Horus 8)

AND I have lost about an inch off my waistline...

(good job no one was around, my jeans quite literally slid down as I was lifting the last server into the racks tonight) !!

I reckon I can sell this diet plan and make a fortune.. Its quite a simple plan really, hard work ! 8)

Nos da, it's late.. No, its early morning here in Bucharest.